Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:26 pm I've never tried a bass with a B top string. Or a 7 string guitar, for that matter. I'm quite the traditionalist in that sense.
I'm the opposite really, Iove messing about with things, open tunings etc, and anything with strings is fair game - just dive in and have a go! That's why I lost my rag a bit with that pompous tool in another thread who was saying that people should only play mandolin, 'properly' . When he started pontificating about 12 string guitars (sorry, six pairs of two strings guitars as they are now known.. :hihi: )... I had to leave the situation. Don't think the lad even has one. :lol:

Shecter makes an ultra 6 and hellcat 6. I like the appearance and switches better on the ultra but the hellcat seems to do it's job and looks closer to a fender.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=__Am5tkI1Jw

https://youtube.com/watch?v=01JC7y_NvWo

Seems it might be a little easier for me to play bass on that compared to four string jazz bass neck which is somewhat finger stretching.

For baritone guitar uses I like the idea but bari guitar sounds more like a beefy guitar and these sound a little more like a bass.

Wonder if it could get more bari guitar twang (and also maybe easier to play guitar parts on) if strung with lighter guage strings? Maybe if they come long enough put a set of twangy bari guitar strings on it?

Or maybe that would only invite string rattle and buzz and intonation problems? I'm quite ignorant of guitars.

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:46 pm
Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:26 pm I've never tried a bass with a B top string. Or a 7 string guitar, for that matter. I'm quite the traditionalist in that sense.
I'm the opposite really, Iove messing about with things, open tunings etc, and anything with strings is fair game - just dive in and have a go! That's why I lost my rag a bit with that pompous tool in another thread who was saying that people should only play mandolin, 'properly' . When he started pontificating about 12 string guitars (sorry, six pairs of two strings guitars as they are now known.. :hihi: )... I had to leave the situation. Don't think the lad even has one. :lol:
Well, to clarify, I'll try anything with strings that crosses my path. I've just never had a 5 string bass in my hands, or a baritone guitar. I'd love to try the cello and a sitar, but I'm not going to go out and buy them. Whether I shell out dinerii for non-traditionally configured instruments is where I'm more conservative. I have an Irish Bouzouki and Dulcimer, and I'm acquainted with DADGAD and a couple of other guitar tunings. So, I like to mess around, too. You never know where inspiration may come from.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

I'm the opposite really, Iove messing about with things, open tunings etc, and anything with strings is fair game - just dive in and have a go!
Got to agree with that. I love picking up unfamiliar instruments and just seeing how things go...and then usually go out and buy one...
Sweet child in time...

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:01 pm
Well, to clarify, I'll try anything with strings that crosses my path. I've just never had a 5 string bass in my hands, or a baritone guitar.
I got a pretty nice baritone, I play it a lot but dont have much recorded with it...I pretty much designed it to be a swiss army knife of baritones :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

but f**king banjo?

squeal like a pig boy...

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:01 pm
but f**king banjo?

squeal like a pig boy...
but f**king sinthesiser?

sqweam like a 14 year old maths prodigy young fellow.

ill have you know i squeam like a demon of the goetia :x

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote:but f**king banjo?
I think you'll find you're playing it wrong.

Clawhammer and frailing are acceptable methods of playing, but f**king one...?

That's just wrong.
Sweet child in time...

Yew shore gotta purty mouf...
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Lets seeya do dis on geetar! And them dang banjos are even missin one strang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dair4-p80RQ

JCJR wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:51 am Lets seeya do dis on geetar! And them dang banjos are even missin one strang!

is the guy holding the banjo on the left alfred e newman's dad?

Hink wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:08 pm
JCJR wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:51 am Lets seeya do dis on geetar! And them dang banjos are even missin one strang!

:lol:

That's so funny - he really does look like him!

Is the one on the right Phil Collins' dad?
Sweet child in time...

Hink wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:08 pm
JCJR wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:51 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dair4-p80RQ
Good catch! Could be his dad. That was probably in the 1950's though maybe late 1940's. May have even been Alfred E himself!

After all, Alfred E has been Forever Young & Dumb since Mad magazine started back then.

Alfred's recording career extended at least until 1963 with his smash hit, "It's a Gas" but if that number included banjo then it was buried in the mix.

Mad Mag publisher Bill Gaines claimed that Alfred harks back at least to the 1890's and Mad Mag just adopted him. Maybe Alfred E is one of the world's rare lonely wandering immortals who has been Not Worrying since caveman days?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”