You know what would be great? Ableton Studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As in, a version of Live EXACTLY as it is but without the session view.
It would be great if it lost all those idiosyncrasies that need to be there for it to be a live performance tool.
It would be fab if one could do vocal comping like in Pro Tools or Cubase for example, or have keyswitches and a more robust mixer section.
I would totally throw a fair bit of money at Ableton if that was a thing.
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Why get rid of one of the most important and iconic parts of Live? Just ignore it and you can work just as fine using the current arrangement view alone in 10.1...or just the session view...or both (like I do, I compose everything in session view, using scenes, record everything into the arrangement, and then edit and perfect there). Whatever. Live is great anyway.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

So, basically, you want Live to be stripped off everything it represents?

trtzbass wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:39 pm As in, a version of Live EXACTLY as it is but without the session view.
You're kidding? The session view is Live's most important feature imho. If you don't use it you can simply ignore it. :shrug:

free fruit n veg for kids?

I work mainly on Cubase, S1, PT but sometimes I use Live 9 as song starter / sound bank and never use session view.
It doesn't matter how much I want to like Live (and I do), there comes a point in every production when I have to export the stems to a traditional DAW because I hit my perceived limitations of the software, especially for vocal / real instruments production.
As I always say, I think Live is a musical instrument that has been dragged kicking and screaming into the DAW category.
All the limitations I find in the software are there because its nature of looper / performance instrument. Its feature set is geared towards quick action and, despite being extremely deep in many unexpected ways, it's not designed for heavy lifting work in the studio environment; or maybe that's my perception of it.
Can I produce a song in Live from start to finish and have it doing all I need it to do? Yes of course.
Do I prefer using linear daws over Live for stuff that needs comping or for the mix stage? Yes because I can work better / quicker.
Do I like to fantasize about an environment that's the holy grail of sound design and editing / mixing? Yep, that too.
It's only pour parler anyway...
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Why do any of those things mandate the removal of session view?

Gamma-UT wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm Why do any of those things mandate the removal of session view?
That's a good question. It seems to me that some of the features I wish were there or more deeply implemented negate the presence of a session view which by its own nature is geared towards improvisation and the use of only one layer of audio for every clip.
Of course none of the things i have talked about mandate anything - If they wanted, Ableton could implement playlist and multitrack comping, VCAs etc, on what's already there, but I thought it'd be much cooler if they had two complementary products out. That would mean having more freedom of choice when shopping for a DAW.
[edit] grammar
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

elassi wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:37 pm Image
Me too, kitty. Me too...
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Ableton Studio , aka NOT Live .....or Bitwig or Digital Performer ....hahahahahaha

i think a lot of people who use Live only in as a studio (as i do, at the moment) really overlook how fantastic the Session View can be as a composition tool, even if you're not into loop-based music. Coming from a band background, i feel like the Session View can be my 'band', repeating sections while i work out a part and then re-arranging spontaneously to see what parts work together. Actually, listening to a few interviews with Robert Henke, that was one of the initial ideas for the Session View, not just performing live.

Why don't you just ignore session view? Ableton is never going to make that change as it's a major selling point of Live
Sweet child in time...

Just get bitwig :D

tooneba wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:10 am Just get bitwig :D
Bitwig fanboys are getting worse than Reaper fanboys...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”