Compensating for the (AKG K240) frequency response

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I tried and like the AKG 240 headphones. However, I noticed that they much lack in bass, have a slight lack in the high mids, and a bump in the high highs. I then checked a review featuring a frequency response chart, and it entirely confirmed my initial impression.

Since I have the FR chart, I wonder: can I just compensate for the faults in the frequency spectrum? I'm thinking that I could use an EQ where I mirror the EQ curve of the headphones, to even them out and get a more or less flat sound experience. Then, when exporting my work, I'll obviously turn off the EQ in question.

I assume that this is essentially how the Sonarworks Reference 4 Headphone Calibration tool works internally, but I think a hundred bucks for the headphones only version is quite a lot for me (I only do this for fun and seldom finish a recording).

In a wider perspective: We have all these convolution reverb impulse responses floating around, but to my knowledge no similar files for headphone and monitor compensation. Since it's not a matter of taste what a flat response is, why is there no compensation standard that anyone could load into any ordinary EQ VST? That would be awesome!

I hope for some input on both my question and why not also on the discussion standard.

Thanks!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Is sending the headphones back, and getting some more correct ones an option? TBH, correcting the frequency response with a EQ seems very counterproductive. I wouldn't fix what's wrong, but, rather get something which sounds correct in the first place.

Also, I wonder if I perhaps will just get used to mixing on these phones anyway. I don't do EDM or hiphop, but I do have a bass drum in my music. :D

With these phones, I guess my tracks will get an over-emphasized bass (so I can't understand how some of the EDM crowd mix with phones with too loud bass - it would make their tracks wimpy). I'm thinking the bass of the K240 must be dealt with, but perhaps a slightly udner-estimated bass response might give the famous NS-10 effect(?).

I read this in a review:
Pick these if
1. You are a singer/songwriter or a music producer of genres such as Jazz, Film, Orchestral, Pop, Classic Rock, Acoustic and are looking for an incredibly honest sound and comfort for a great price (see lowest price).

2. You want to use the headphones for music listening and are looking for an honest sound that will squeeze every bit of emotion out of your music.

Don’t pick these if
1. You are producing bass intensive genres such as EDM or Hip-hop.

2. You are a self-proclaimed “bass head” 🙂 and are looking for a boomy bass.
For me there is a thin line between EDM and pop so I don't know really... :wink:
Go MuLab!

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:41 pm Is sending the headphones back, and getting some more correct ones an option? TBH, correcting the frequency response with a EQ seems very counterproductive. I wouldn't fix what's wrong, but, rather get something which sounds correct in the first place.
Hi, thanks, no it isn't (they are not new, just in good shape). Of course, I could buy a new pair of headphones, but it's not really my question here. ;)
Go MuLab!

This is the chart I was referring to (below), taken from https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/akg/k240-mkii.

...so I'm thinking drawing this EQ curve upside down would compensate and give a flat result, and that this approach could work not just for the K240's but for any headphones or monitors. (I don't know though how SPL relates to "+3dB" and would welcome input on that.)

Of course, in this case that would mean increasing low end rumble, but remember that this would only be for the listening purposes, not for the final mix. (Besides, this method would make me more aware of low end rumble, which should in theory produce a better end result.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go MuLab!

If you use the headphones for mixing, take a look at this:

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_morphit_v1.html

- Mario

mabian wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:21 pm If you use the headphones for mixing, take a look at this:

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_morphit_v1.html

- Mario
Thanks a bunch! I do own nice monitors, but mainly use my headphones for mixing.

Morphit is way better priced than the other product (30 bucks). Toneboosters have great products too. I also enjoy the quotes:

"Now nobody can say you can't mix on headphones anymore. This is a total game changer for people without monitors."

"Morphit has improved my quality of life by a factor of two. My car feels nicer, the rain has turned to sunshine, my dog loves me more and food tastes better. Good job, guys. Good job."

That said, I wonder if this doesn't mirror the EQ curve the same way I could do for free from looking at the chart above. (I think it's an interesting question, on top of being a cheapskate! :D)
Go MuLab!

For anyone interested: here is a discussion re Toneboosters and Sonarworks. It seems people are mostly happy with the results but still think the results betwen the two plugs vary a lot (can't get that to compute...):

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... lug-4.html
Go MuLab!

I have the AKG240 Studios and use ToneBoosters Morphit with the correction dialed to around 40-60% (I often use Goodhertz CanOpener as well). I'm a bass player, and for my needs the 240s have tight, unflabby bass compared to the overhyped bottom of some closed-back headphones. For bass to translate across systems you have to focus on all the frequencies, not just the fundamental. Also, the human brain can fill in a missing fundamental if the rest of the spectrum is well-represented.

I listened to the 240s against a number of cans by Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, Sony, Grado & Shure and they just sounded the most musical to my ears. That said, I bought them a few years ago and might have a different take if shopping today. I listen across a number of headphones/monitors (plus laptop speakers, phones/tablets, and car stereos) before releasing something or sending it off for mastering.

Some headphone tools:
Sonarworks - Reference Headphone Edition (headphone eq)
Toneboosters - Morphit (headphone eq)
Equalizer APO (free, system-wide eq & VST host for Windows)
Dotec Audio - DeeSpeaker (free, crossfeed / near-field speaker simulation)
Dotec Audio - DeeMonitor CM (extended version of DeeSpeaker, free & exclusive with Computer Music magazine)
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

RexXx,

Thanks for the list! Had not heard about the others, very interesting.

Winston,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Then it seems the K240 will do well after all. I agree with you - it must actually be much worse mixing with phones overstating the bass. The result should be too thin.

Thanks again both.
Go MuLab!

Hi, I also own the K240 (among others) and I recommend Sonarworks Reference with them. You generally can find it quite cheap on the usual discount times such as Black Friday.
After testing pink noise, I dialed correction to 70%. Indeed, they provide average compensation measured on several headphones of the same type, so it makes sense that 100% correction is not really ..ehm correct.
I also tested a few other headphones (Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro) and surprisingly I like the K240 better (when calibrated): the soundstage and overall clarity are amazing.
I usually test headphones with pink noise and some broadband music with a lot of dynamics, such as Pink Floyd's Dogs or Jeff Buckley's Grace.
.:: (noou) - electronic + music ::.
https://noou.bandcamp.com

noou wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:13 pm Hi, I also own the K240 (among others) and I recommend Sonarworks Reference with them. You generally can find it quite cheap on the usual discount times such as Black Friday.
After testing pink noise, I dialed correction to 70%. Indeed, they provide average compensation measured on several headphones of the same type, so it makes sense that 100% correction is not really ..ehm correct.
I also tested a few other headphones (Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro) and surprisingly I like the K240 better (when calibrated): the soundstage and overall clarity are amazing.
I usually test headphones with pink noise and some broadband music with a lot of dynamics, such as Pink Floyd's Dogs or Jeff Buckley's Grace.
Hi, it's really interesting to read why 100% is too much! It would perhaps have made more sense if they would have set 100% to the average, and then used more (say 120%) as max, but thanks for the clarification. I agree the clarity of the K240's is really good. I now use the AKG 712 Pro and they have great clarity as well (but to twice the price). I also like the fact that they are open-back, but that of course depends on the situation.
Go MuLab!

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:41 pm Is sending the headphones back, and getting some more correct ones an option?
No affordable set of headphones I know of is truely flat. With monitors it's the same.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”