One Synth Challenge #120: SE PolyMod KX by KX77FREE (Voting Time!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In general it's hard to really predict the top 5. Some months there are a number of standout tracks which should make it the top couple of slots (and usually do). But thereafter it's harder to predict where your own track might be placed! My tracks are usually halfway - that is, mediocre, not bad, but not wonderful. Now and then I get surprised when all of a sudden a track I make starts to get high votes, and I make it into the top 5.

I will always make a track having done it now since OSC #61, religiously every month. If I fail to submit, then I will probably have had all my faders pulled to -infinity! If the track is well received, all's well, if not, well, that's life and I can live with that.

Nice to see the OSC crowd putting in a good showing in the Song Writing Competition. Some great composition and playing skills on show.

dB

I don‘t predict anything, I just wanted to express my appreciation in a poetic and strong way... (I have digested all my hats already of course served with vinegar and grilled to taste...; - )

Hehe - I don't ever try to predict. Never a good idea. If I come halfway or better, then to me, I have succeeded in pleasing more than half the OSC-ers!

Hope the early starter menu of hats was tasty!!!

dB

Hello OSCers!

Amazed by the sound of the synth and especially the entries until now! :love:

Going back to the lab and practice for the next ten years now :roll:

https://soundcloud.com/eraze-the-border ... scherinsel

DAW: Reaper 5.97

16 x SE PolyMod KX

ReaComp
ReaEQ
BootEQmkII
epicVerb
Ferric TDS
TAL-DUB-II
TDR Kotelnikov
ThrillseekerVBL
Voxengo MSED
Unlimited
Failure is success in progress.

My entry..
https://soundcloud.com/jasinski/dreamse ... polymod-kx

Minimalistic lo-fi this month.

Ableton Live 10
20ish instances of Polymod
Saturation, EQ8, Convolution Reverb, Limiter, Compressor, Glue Compressor, Drum Bus

3rd Party
OTT

My entry this month, down to the last hour! I'll give you one guess what band inspired this months track.

https://soundcloud.com/functionform/interlude

I did a few things different this month. First off, I didn't shun eqs. In previous OSCs I kept the eq's really light, but this month I wasn't afraid to go in and cut 4-6 dbs here and there. I also channeled some classic hardware compressors thanks to these nifty Antress emus. I don't feel very guilty about that as some daws come with versions of them (including Reaper) but I prefer prettier guis.

Any chorusing/flanging you hear is the polymod delay effect. Those were also great for stereo width.

Finally, I actually bothered to layer drums, something I usually don't do. This time I started with kick and snare and layered until I had something very close to my target bands sound. Only two layers each, then compression for instrument and various bus.

Polymod:
I was really impressed with this guy. I barely scratched the surface with what was possible with the different envelope types or routing options. I really appreciated the single page workflow, really not enough synths do that these days. 9.2/10!

21 Instances, Reaper 5.971

Tracks:
TAL Reverb III
TAL Reverb 4
Overtone GEQ
Luftikus
DJM Filter
OTT
NastyDLA mkII (avoided modulation)
Cocoa Delay (avoided modulation)
Ambeo Orbit
Modern Lost Angel
Modern Fire Chainer
Apple 12-Pole Filter (just trimming unwanted highs/lows no crazy slopes or res)

Master:
Marvel GEQ
A1 Stereo Control
Limiter No6
Unlimited (just a dash for that pop crush)

Enjoy!
Last edited by functionform on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

https://soundcloud.com/jazzaria/asymptotic-variance

Reaper
18 instances of SE PolyMod KX
ReaEQ x20
ReaVerbate x6
MEqualizer x2
MCompressor x1
Last edited by Jazzaria on Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anybody else notice weird behavior immediately kick in upon release (audible with long-ish-release envelopes)? Not complaining, I belatedly realized it's a big part of what's making all of these plucked/bowed sounds in the entries seem so organic! The harmonics change abruptly on release but only when using oscillator modulation (Ph at least). That and the really unique pluckiness of the envelope (and the vel-scaling of the env params - I wish all synths had this!)
Last edited by Rellik on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't feel like I quite solved all the mysterious of the env behaviors. My time was short so sometimes I just automated out the release if I didn't want to deal with debugging it. I remember a pitchy effect happening on some simple white noise that I could find absolutely no source for. Agreed on the velocity option for literally everything. Again, didn't even have time to explore using it, but was excited it was there. My heart broke deleting some patch tracks I didn't use, but made during exploration phase, that rarely happens.

I'm excited to see that the non SE version looks like a big upgrade.

https://soundcloud.com/rellyk/is-there-time

Reaper, with these MVP plugins:
[58] SE PolyMod KX
[49] ReaEQ
[30] ReaDelay
[15] FerricTDS
[8] MConvolutionEZ
[7] OrilRiver
and ReaComp, Nova, JS Saturation, SlickEQ, W1, Kotelnikov, TAL-DUB-II, A1StereoControl, JS Waveshaper, airwindows Lowpass, JS Transient Controller, Voxengo MSED, Limiter No6

@functionform I can relate, the folder of unused patches is so sad :( but my philosophy is that (roughly) the more you throw away, the better the result!

Down to the wire this month. I'm sure there's more I could do given time but if I had time it wouldn't be the OSC!

I had a lot of fun making this one. I think it's my best OSC track yet.

https://soundcloud.com/henryjolsen/ladi ... -me-danger

DAW: Reaper

16 instaces of SE PolyMod KX

Plugins:
Apple 2-Pole Lowpass Filter (JS) x2
DC1A3 x1
Digital Drum Compressor (JS) x2
Limiter No6 x1
LoudMax x2
Midi Velocity and Timing Humanizer (JS) x2
Ping Pong Pan (JS) x1
ReaComp (JS) x2
ReaEQ (JS) x12
ReaGate (JS) x1
ReaVerb (JS) x1
ReaXcomp (JS) x1
Saturation (JS) x4
Spaceship Delay x5
Voxengo SPAN x1
TAL Reverb 4 x7
Youlean Loudness Meter x1

My Core M laptop doesn't play very well with SE PolyMod KX. I made do this month but I really need to get a more powerful rig.

Hi,

Alltough there was not much time for me this month I made a track for this month's
OSC.

https://soundcloud.com/quaoar-1/balances-part-1-3

DAW Ableton Live

Polymod 8 x
FX's used: compressor, EQ 8, Delay & Limiter.

Good luck to everybody!

Quaoar

OK, I've been away for a while.

https://soundcloud.com/vca089/meet-me-i ... kx/s-d8Ruz

I wanted to make something simple but effective. Something retro'ish with a twist. Just like this months's synth. I was surprised how good it is in terms of analog modelling (said a man who never heard an analog synth in RL). Than I found a modulation matrix that released a living hell out of it. It has great potential for industrial and noise music for sure. Modulating oscillators with each other can get so extreme that it will create an almost chaotic waveforms. You can even get the noises of your motherboard or videcard, or perhaps any other electronic equipment. And ofcourse there is a possibility to emulate some sorts of old school hardware (in musical ways).

Althrough, there is some stability issues. It crashes my DAW each time I close the project (which is a minor thing but still annoying). And ofcourse there is a whole bunch of quirks, such as wierd mouse movements (thanks MadPsyance) and unintuitive behavior of some components. But I thinks it is pretty useful and deserves a use in commercial mixes. And it's "hardware madness" capability that you can get perhaps only in Modular in real world. I will definately use it in my sound design sessions.

28 instances of SE PolyMod KX Used.

Modulation effects are not used. However, internal delays are used to create chorus/flanger effect on some instruments.

Distortion/Bitcrushing is not used.

DAW: FL Studio 20.1.1.

Native Effects:

x2 Balance
x8 Paremetric EQ 2
x6 Delay 3
x6 Reeverb 2
x2 Stereo Enhancer
x1 Patcher
x1 Limiter
x1 dB meter
x1 Wave Candy

VST Effects:

x2 Sonimus SonEQ
x15 VoS DensitymkIII
x9 TDR & VoS SlickEQ
x7 VoS FerricTDS
x1 VoS epicVerb
x1 TAL Filter
x7 Thomas Mundt LoudMax
x13 eAreckon MIDI Polysher

Master Chain:

TDR Nova
Limiter No6

83 effects used in total.
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

My submission:

https://soundcloud.com/darksynth-fx/dar ... ing-hope-1

DAW: Ableton Live Suite 10

10x SE PolyMod
12x Ableton EQ8
2x Xfer OTT
1x Ableton Gate
1x Ableton Simple Delay
1x Ableton Compressor
1x Ableton Utility
1x TAL Reverb 2
1x Ableton Velocity
1x Voxengo Stereo Touch
1x Voxengo Tube Amp
1x Ableton Glue Compressor
1x Ableton Limiter
1x Ableton Reverb (Send)
1x Ableton Delay (Send)
Last edited by Darksynth FX on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi! For this round I created a track in a collaboration with a talented long-time OSC participant, asi4. Working with him was a great experience, and I want to thank Andrew for his invaluable commitment, musicianship and impressive technical skills. And he's a really nice guy too :) Hope you guys enjoy this track.

https://soundcloud.com/l-k-k-n/if-every ... eels-wrong

DAW: Reaper

SE PolyMod KX x39
TAL Reverb 3 x3
TAL Reverb 4 x6
ReaVerbate x1
ReaEQ x49
ReaDelay x13
ReaComp x13
Protoverb x3
Ozone Imager x1
OrilRiver x17