StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSE12QR4dig

10 mn tutorial : Just showing the new synthesis options like Noise dedicated filter (Tr-XoX Hi-Hat sounds) , Direct Out for Osc3 Noise/Sample, New sample parameters (start time offset, reverse mode), LFO One Shot mode (to make Simmonesque Kicks/Toms) etc.

(Best watched in HD, and with good speakers or headphones)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Old tutorial video about StiX special R-Clap envelopes. Can be used to make claps -of course- , and a lot of other effects or sounds. Another exclusive feature you won't find on any other Drum Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2toH0SimEk

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

The patch browser is really hard to read.... small black writing on dark grey is just about the worst colour combo. I hope this will be fixed one day!

OK, so I bit the bullet and picked up the full version before the discount expires. I'm assuming this would be the thread for feature requests so here goes:
It would be very nice if you could edit multiple sequencer cells by clicking and dragging. This is a feature many other sequencer programs have. For example, if you want repeated 16th notes for the last two bars of your hihats. Just click the first cell on the 3rd bar and drag all the way to the right.
It also helps when erasing sections on multiple lanes. Click on an active cell on one lane (kick for example) and drag across any active cell on any lane to deactive.
This kind of the thing really helps for a quick workflow.
Stix is great by the way. The extra synthesis options in the full version are terrific.

Local Man wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 pm OK, so I bit the bullet and picked up the full version before the discount expires. I'm assuming this would be the thread for feature requests so here goes:

Stix is great by the way. The extra synthesis options in the full version are terrific.
Yup... bought it a an hour or so ago.
I also have a couple of questions...
1: Preset naming in the "stored" folder... presetXXXX etc, not easy to locate on DISK presets. By this I mean, it was a real pain bringing in my old cm version presets from my old 32bit win into my present system.. I held my breath, got on my knees (almost ) and copied the whole lot across... NOT an ideal way to mange "user" presets.. ;) (would be so much more convenient if they were named as in the browser.. ie "toonertikcrazyBT" on disk as well as in browser not "preset3240.prt" ))))

2: Same, but more important (well for me) imported wavs also get called "presetXXXX" (this is in C:\ProgramData\XILS-lab\StiX\Waves) Question.. does every sample/wav get converted to this even if just auditioning a sample. I ask as I like to try out my own wavs/ single_cycles.. I have hundreds.. It will be a pain to have all the auditioned wavs/samples converted if they are not used.

Having to open up the .inf file for what could become hundreds of files to locate ones for deletion is gonna be a pain.
Obviously not a deal breaker as I upgraded. (No apologies, my old mainframe training and keeping systems lean and clean ain't gonna change any time soon... :D )

CoolColJ wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:44 pm The patch browser is really hard to read.... small black writing on dark grey is just about the worst colour combo. I hope this will be fixed one day!
This could be changed in the future. What would be your prefered colour combo ?

Local Man wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 pm OK, so I bit the bullet and picked up the full version before the discount expires. I'm assuming this would be the thread for feature requests so here goes:
It would be very nice if you could edit multiple sequencer cells by clicking and dragging. This is a feature many other sequencer programs have. For example, if you want repeated 16th notes for the last two bars of your hihats. Just click the first cell on the 3rd bar and drag all the way to the right.
It also helps when erasing sections on multiple lanes. Click on an active cell on one lane (kick for example) and drag across any active cell on any lane to deactive.
Tip : You can fill any single sequencer line of a pattern with the small square at the left of each sequencer lane (left click). And erase the lane also (right click). More advanced features can tell, but in the next versions the focus will be put on something that will offer a super fast alternative to the current workflow : Live input to sequencer.

toonertik wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Yup... bought it a an hour or so ago.
I also have a couple of questions...
1: Preset naming in the "stored" folder... presetXXXX etc, not easy to locate on DISK presets. By this I mean, it was a real pain bringing in my old cm version presets from my old 32bit win into my present system.. I held my breath, got on my knees (almost ) and copied the whole lot across... NOT an ideal way to mange "user" presets.. ;) (would be so much more convenient if they were named as in the browser.. ie "toonertikcrazyBT" on disk as well as in browser not "preset3240.prt" ))))

2: Same, but more important (well for me) imported wavs also get called "presetXXXX" (this is in C:\ProgramData\XILS-lab\StiX\Waves) Question.. does every sample/wav get converted to this even if just auditioning a sample. I ask as I like to try out my own wavs/ single_cycles.. I have hundreds.. It will be a pain to have all the auditioned wavs/samples converted if they are not used.

Having to open up the .inf file for what could become hundreds of files to locate ones for deletion is gonna be a pain.
Obviously not a deal breaker as I upgraded. (No apologies, my old mainframe training and keeping systems lean and clean ain't gonna change any time soon... :D )
Hmmm you shouldn't actually have to deal with the OS browser to manage the presets. Instead, do it all in the preset manager : It's much faster, and graphical.

Precise answer to your question : Simple browsing of wav files, that can be auditionned via your OS browser, will NOT be converted unless you choose to further import them. So, it's only during the import process that sample presets are created. I'll give a short example : You have a folder with 300 snares. Choose import waves, then select all the samples in your folder OR select only the ones you wish to import after listening to them. Batch import all the snares (up to 256 samples iirc can be imported simultaneously) Presets are automatically created, but still not tagged. So that you don't loose time to find them in the preset manager they are instantaneously put in a 'bank' container named 'user' (if bank user doesnt exist it will be created on the fly) Now you call multiselect all the snares in the abank user and multitag them in one pass. Select all samples, select Snare as type, and also possibly create a bank or a tag of your own if you want to be able to identify/search all these snares after in the preset manager. (so if you create a tag like toonertik funky snares, they will all have that tag, and can be sorted quickly for further use.)

Also ; You could have installed the full version in the same dirthan your previous version : All the presets would have been there instantanesouly in the new version.

Ehehe power users sometimes find solutions that can be very complicated (but in your case, still work) :)

Finally to get rid of samples you do not wish to keep in your collections, simply slect them in the preset manager and right click to delete them.(an intermediate solution if you're not sure if you want to keep them or not is simply to use the Hide function in the preset manager. You won't see them anymore, but in case ...... they are still there)

Hope I understood the questions and gave you usefull answers.

And the promo ends tonite -midnight :)
Last edited by Lotuzia on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lotuzia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 am
Hmmm you shouldn't actually have to deal with the OS browser to manage the presets. Instead, do it all in the preset manager : It's much faster, and graphical.

Precise answer to your question : Simple browsing of wav files, that can be auditionned via your OS browser, will NOT be converted unless you choose to further import them. So, it's only during the import process that sample presets are created. I'll give a short example : You have a folder with 300 snares. Choose import waves, then select all the samples in your folder OR select only the ones you wish to import after listening to them. Batch import all the snares (up to 256 samples iirc can be imported simultaneously) Presets are automatically created, but still not tagged. So that you don't loose time to find them in the preset manager they are instantaneously put in a 'bank' container named 'user' (if bank user doesnt exist it will be created on the fly) Now you call multiselect all the snares in the abank user and multitag them in one pass. Select all samples, select Snare as type, and also possibly create a bank or a tag of your own if you want to be able to identify/search all these snares after in the preset manager. (so if you create a tag like toonertik funky snares, they will all have that tag, and can be sorted quickly for further use.)

Also ; You could have installed the full version in the same dirthan your previous version : All the presets would have been there instantanesouly in the new version.

Ehehe power users sometimes find solutions that can be very complicated (but in your case, still work) :)

Finally to get rid of samples you do not wish to keep in your collections, simply slect them in the preset manager and right click to delete them.(an intermediate solution if you're not sure if you want to keep them or not is simply to use the Hide function in the preset manager. You won't see them anymore, but in case ...... they are still there)

Hope I understood the questions and gave you usefull answers.
Yes, it looks like you understood my question and I like the answer.. It is late at night now and I have a few glasses of "fluid" in me, so I will check later... thanx for your time in answering this and other ppls questions Lotuzia... I have followed the threads and seen most of your input, it is appreciated )))
BTW.. I was moving presets from an old HDD to my new installation on SSD with the CM version months ago.. I have both cm and new version running now... what is best way to uninstall CM version leaving all "data" intact (what ever the answer , I will ofc make a copy, of a copy of... just habit lol ;) )

Lotuzia wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 pm
CoolColJ wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:44 pm The patch browser is really hard to read.... small black writing on dark grey is just about the worst colour combo. I hope this will be fixed one day!
This could be changed in the future. What would be your prefered colour combo ?

A dark lettering on a lighter background works for me.
One of these colour combos in my customised Directory Opus theme for an idea :)

https://i.imgur.com/eWPbjuo.png

Is there supposed to be a dialog that pops up when you select import sample?

because nothing happens on my system - Windows 10, in Reaper

Lotuzia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:03 am
Tip : You can fill any single sequencer line of a pattern with the small square at the left of each sequencer lane (left click). And erase the lane also (right click). More advanced features can tell, but in the next versions the focus will be put on something that will offer a super fast alternative to the current workflow : Live input to sequencer.
I'm aware of the little boxes to auto fill and erase each lane and that's a nice feature but they are not as quick and don't quite do what I am talking about. For example, you cannot do the things I mentioned in my examples (quickly fill in all cells for only some beats, and quickly deleting data for multiple lanes/instruments in one swipe) with the little tick boxes.
It's not a big deal, it's just a recommendation because I think it's the most elegant way to handle sequencer input and it's a pretty common feature in other step sequencers.

As for the live input, that is very intriguing and I'm very curious to see in action how that will be an improvement over using the DAW sequencer. Maybe my imagination is failing me here a little here but anyway I do look forward to playing with that feature.

Local Man wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:51 am
Lotuzia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:03 am
I'm aware of the little boxes to auto fill and erase each lane and that's a nice feature but they are not as quick and don't quite do what I am talking about. For example, you cannot do the things I mentioned in my examples (quickly fill in all cells for only some beats, and quickly deleting data for multiple lanes/instruments in one swipe) with the little tick boxes.
It's not a big deal, it's just a recommendation because I think it's the most elegant way to handle sequencer input and it's a pretty common feature in other step sequencers.

As for the live input, that is very intriguing and I'm very curious to see in action how that will be an improvement over using the DAW sequencer. Maybe my imagination is failing me here a little here but anyway I do look forward to playing with that feature.
Yes, sorry, I never know actually what is the current level of knowledge of StiX of a poster, hence why I can indicate some tips that are not relevant. The functions you describe have been added to the FR. Can't promise anything, because of the UI/GUI structure, but if it's doable we'll look into it.

The Live input is very simple, though it requires to play the drumpads or midi KB with a bit of accuracy timing wise : You'll be able to input drum strikes into StiX sequencer Live, while pattern(s) is/are looping, with midi drumpads or Midi KB. It's exactly and strictly : An alternative way to input notes in the sequencer VS clicking in the steps with the mouse. It's also similar to the behaviour of a lot of old drum machines, including the SP12 for example.
But, .... you'll still have afterwhile all the possibilities the sequencer offers : Per Step divisi, Micro Position, P.Lock parameters with Macro controls, Gate Time, the PolyStep modulations etc.

This is a long time development goal/cycle though. But I think it will add a lot (while keeping all that is already here strictly identical)

CoolColJ wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:03 am Is there supposed to be a dialog that pops up when you select import sample?

because nothing happens on my system - Windows 10, in Reaper
Yes, it should open your OS browser, where you can select/multiselect/audition the .wav samples to import. Could it be that the OS browser window is hidden by the daw window ?

Return to “Instruments”