StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

Lotuzia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am
CoolColJ wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:03 am Is there supposed to be a dialog that pops up when you select import sample?

because nothing happens on my system - Windows 10, in Reaper
Yes, it should open your OS browser, where you can select/multiselect/audition the .wav samples to import. Could it be that the OS browser window is hidden by the daw window ?
I tried with the DAW window minimised, or just made small and I don't see it.
All the dialog boxes in the VST look a bit "messed up" as well

Tried in FL Studio and same thing

Possibly some issue with Windows 10

Hmm def. not normal, thanks for the report, could you please contact Xils via this form, with possibly max details of your system (os/daw/stix versions)

https://www.xils-lab.com/support

I think that if it was a global Win 10 problem, we would have already heard of it, but well, in the current state I can't say more. Direct communication with Xils will help to fix your issue faster. Thanks in advance.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Done

I'm also really confused by the preset browser interface and saving kits and patterns etc.
It just doesn't flow well or make much sense to me....

Love the synth and features, but interface could use a lot of work IMO

CoolColJ wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:45 am Done

I'm also really confused by the preset browser interface and saving kits and patterns etc.
It just doesn't flow well or make much sense to me....

Love the synth and features, but interface could use a lot of work IMO
Thanks, I received confirmation that Xils got your message.

One Window Preset Manager : It's a very integrated window. I can perfectly understand people would have to spend a little time (and rtfm) to be perfectly confortable with it. Once you'll be though, it will really speed up everything and make your life easy.

There are TWO MODES : CURRENT PRESET and BROWSER MODE

SAVE/SAVE AS presets
(Patterns, Drumkits, Drumpads, Global) : You MUST be in CURRENT PRESET mode (i.e not in BROWSER MODE). Then just fill the NAME, and other fields (Bank, Author, Genre, BPM, Drum Category, Drum Subcategory -Snare/Claps, or create new tags on the fly)
Finally just click on SAVE or SAVE AS button.(and please note that factory presets can't be overwritten, so if you started with an Init patch or any other factory patch, only SAVE AS will be available)

The BROWSER MODE : Is used to load/tag/retag/export/import/delete presets or multiselection of presets/banks/projects etc

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post here. I've also included a lot of practical examples in the manual for Preset Manager usual functions (based on 'how to do this or that' form) and I think it might be worth to read it at least once. All in all, I think StiX Preset Manager might be the most powerfull one ever created, but it's true : due to it's power, it needs an -hopefully short- learning curve.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

CoolColJ wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am
Lotuzia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am
CoolColJ wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:03 am Is there supposed to be a dialog that pops up when you select import sample?

because nothing happens on my system - Windows 10, in Reaper
Yes, it should open your OS browser, where you can select/multiselect/audition the .wav samples to import. Could it be that the OS browser window is hidden by the daw window ?
I tried with the DAW window minimised, or just made small and I don't see it.
All the dialog boxes in the VST look a bit "messed up" as well

Tried in FL Studio and same thing

Possibly some issue with Windows 10
Just an idea : Could it be possible that you use the Trial Dongle/Full feature version, and not the full version ? Cos the demo version, even the full featured one with dongle has still ONE limitation : It doesnt allow for sample import.Button 'import .wav should be greyed though, so maybe a cosmetic bug here)

Lotuzia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:28 am
Local Man wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:51 am
Lotuzia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:03 am
Local Man wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 pm OK, so I bit the bullet and picked up the full version before the discount expires. I'm assuming this would be the thread for feature requests so here goes:
It would be very nice if you could edit multiple sequencer cells by clicking and dragging. This is a feature many other sequencer programs have. For example, if you want repeated 16th notes for the last two bars of your hihats. Just click the first cell on the 3rd bar and drag all the way to the right.
It also helps when erasing sections on multiple lanes. Click on an active cell on one lane (kick for example) and drag across any active cell on any lane to deactive.
This kind of the thing really helps for a quick workflow.
Stix is great by the way. The extra synthesis options in the full version are terrific.
Tip : You can fill any single sequencer line of a pattern with the small square at the left of each sequencer lane (left click). And erase the lane also (right click). More advanced features can tell, but in the next versions the focus will be put on something that will offer a super fast alternative to the current workflow : Live input to sequencer.
I'm aware of the little boxes to auto fill and erase each lane and that's a nice feature but they are not as quick and don't quite do what I am talking about. For example, you cannot do the things I mentioned in my examples (quickly fill in all cells for only some beats, and quickly deleting data for multiple lanes/instruments in one swipe) with the little tick boxes.
It's not a big deal, it's just a recommendation because I think it's the most elegant way to handle sequencer input and it's a pretty common feature in other step sequencers.

As for the live input, that is very intriguing and I'm very curious to see in action how that will be an improvement over using the DAW sequencer. Maybe my imagination is failing me here a little here but anyway I do look forward to playing with that feature.
Yes, sorry, I never know actually what is the current level of knowledge of StiX of a poster, hence why I can indicate some tips that are not relevant. The functions you describe have been added to the FR. Can't promise anything, because of the UI/GUI structure, but if it's doable we'll look into it.

The Live input is very simple, though it requires to play the drumpads or midi KB with a bit of accuracy timing wise : You'll be able to input drum strikes into StiX sequencer Live, while pattern(s) is/are looping, with midi drumpads or Midi KB. It's exactly and strictly : An alternative way to input notes in the sequencer VS clicking in the steps with the mouse. It's also similar to the behaviour of a lot of old drum machines, including the SP12 for example.
But, .... you'll still have afterwhile all the possibilities the sequencer offers : Per Step divisi, Micro Position, P.Lock parameters with Macro controls, Gate Time, the PolyStep modulations etc.

This is a long time development goal/cycle though. But I think it will add a lot (while keeping all that is already here strictly identical)
Thanks for adding my FR.
I am really loving this drum machine. The R-CLAPS envelopes are amazing. I can't believe no one came up with that before.
This has definitely become my favorite drum machine for modern and futuristic sounds (though it also does vintage quite well).

If I have more feature requests, what would be the proper channel for that? Posting here? PM? Xils website?
This is already my favorite drum machine but I have some ideas for what could make it the perfect drum machine :wink:

Hello LM, sorry for the delay, lot of support for the last day of the promo deal.

Well R-Claps envelopes were not trivial to implement, this can explain that. They are derived from an in depth analysis of the TR series modules, but we 1/ exposed the parameters 2/ enhanced the parameters number, range and topology :) Glad you enjoy them.

Fr : can be PM'ed, or directly adressed to Xils, or posted in this thread. Your choice. I'll try to monitor as closely as possible this thread. StiX will never be perfect, or is already perfect, but anyway, we welcome all ideas/suggestions.

Bear in mind though that the next dev cycles are far away in time, and that we can't of course make all FR become reality : Some are impossible, and we also have ideas, so priority and decisions will have to be taken. Just saying that so that your enthousiasm doesn't turn into disapointment at some point.

Well the development version of MDA Drumsynth VSTi I was testing for him decades ago had an R-clap type envelope, but he never did release it as it was, I think bits of it found it's way into other synths ;)
I think Fxpansion DR-008, and DrumSynth Live for FL Studio... well this development version was better but it didn't have an interface, just raw parameters

Here is Stix sequencing my custom MDA DrumSynth kit , while I tweaked the Clap parameters... well each sound has the same parameters, so I can use the multi trigger envelope on other sounds as well, from 0 to 99 retriggers with two adjustable delay and decays

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/stix-se ... ap/s-730e2

Yes, I think many of the specific Claps circuits that can be found in different drummachines, when they have some, are/were inspired by the Tr-808 circuit design and topology.

Somewhere in the Xils-Lab video tutorial I made for the R-Clap envelopes (it is on the previous page of this thread), I included a schematic with the different parameters and what they do. StiX simply pushes the concept a lot further. You can do claps, a lot of different claps, vinatge/modern, but also a lot of other sounds and fx as well.

Btw, CoolColJ was your issue with opening the .wav import OS window solved ?

Lotuzia wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:30 pm Btw, CoolColJ was your issue with opening the .wav import OS window solved ?
Yes I think so

Here are a few feature requests I have for now (though once I am done going through the manual in detail, I'm sure I'll have some more).

1) Undo steps for the randomize functions.
Sometimes I like to hit the smart randomize button a bunch of times to get inspiration, but every once in a while I hit it one time too many and think 'oh, that last kit was great actually,' but then it's too late :x. Being able to go backwards as well as forwards would be very nice.

2) The ability to adjust the number of beats in the sequencer per drum module. The way it is now everything is fixed at 4 beats. And though the beats can be subdivided in very cool ways, each pattern will still repeat at the same time. If you could for example set the kick to repeat at 4 beats, the snare at 3 beats, the hihats at 3.5 beats, etc, etc...then you could create some really cool, evolving polyrhythms.

4)This one is just a simple UX thing but it would be nice to be able to divide the steps and beats with one click of the mouse. The way it is now you click on the current number and then a context menu appears with the division options that are available and then you have to click again the one you want. It would be nicer from a workflow point of view to be able to click, hold as the context menu comes up, and drag to the option you want. All in one click.

Forgive me if any of this stuff is currently possible but I don't think so.

CoolColJ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:12 am
Lotuzia wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:30 pm Btw, CoolColJ was your issue with opening the .wav import OS window solved ?
Yes I think so
Thanks for mentioning it. All good then :)

Local Man wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 am Here are a few feature requests I have for now (though once I am done going through the manual in detail, I'm sure I'll have some more).

Sometimes I like to hit the smart randomize button a bunch of times to get inspiration, but every once in a while I hit it one time too many and think 'oh, that last kit was great actually,' but then it's too late :x. Being able to go backwards as well as forwards would be very nice.

2) The ability to adjust the number of beats in the sequencer per drum module. The way it is now everything is fixed at 4 beats. And though the beats can be subdivided in very cool ways, each pattern will still repeat at the same time. If you could for example set the kick to repeat at 4 beats, the snare at 3 beats, the hihats at 3.5 beats, etc, etc...then you could create some really cool, evolving polyrhythms.

4)This one is just a simple UX thing but it would be nice to be able to divide the steps and beats with one click of the mouse. The way it is now you click on the current number and then a context menu appears with the division options that are available and then you have to click again the one you want. It would be nicer from a workflow point of view to be able to click, hold as the context menu comes up, and drag to the option you want. All in one click.

No, these are not possible at the moment

Undo : Added on the list. Atm the best is to save the random drumkit/sequencer line/sequencer pattern, possibly in a special temp bank you create on the fly.
2/ PolyRythm : Is the most demanded feature : Until recently, we thought it was strictly impossible, but there seems to maybe be a possibility. Don't expect anything in the near future, but if it's really doable, we'll try to implement it at some point (it's not trivial though, and will require a lot of work)
3/ Step Divisi workflow : The way you describe was the initial one. We had so much problems, including different problems in different daws/os/combos etc, that we reverted to the current solution. If it's doable, we'll make it. Here again, a lot of work and debug. Should it be top priority over other developments, for example all that we added for version 1.5 ? There's no easy answer.

Lotuzia wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 am
Local Man wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 am Here are a few feature requests I have for now (though once I am done going through the manual in detail, I'm sure I'll have some more).

No, these are not possible at the moment

Undo : Added on the list. Atm the best is to save the random drumkit/sequencer line/sequencer pattern, possibly in a special temp bank you create on the fly.
2/ PolyRythm : Is the most demanded feature : Until recently, we thought it was strictly impossible, but there seems to maybe be a possibility. Don't expect anything in the near future, but if it's really doable, we'll try to implement it at some point (it's not trivial though, and will require a lot of work)
3/ Step Divisi workflow : The way you describe was the initial one. We had so much problems, including different problems in different daws/os/combos etc, that we reverted to the current solution. If it's doable, we'll make it. Here again, a lot of work and debug. Should it be top priority over other developments, for example all that we added for version 1.5 ? There's no easy answer.
Thanks for taking these into consideration.
And believe me I have no unreasonable expectations about when or even if features like this ever get implemented.
Stix is already great and very much worth the cost as is. And I know that implementing new features is in no way easy and sometimes not even possible.
I'm just glad that you are receptive to new ideas because not all developers are.

With regards to feature requests, I'd like to see more options on fx modulation as, at present, we only have delay times). I kinda enjoy just having occasional reverb or delay on specific hits in a pattern when using Geist 2 and would like the same with Stix if possible.

Return to “Instruments”