One Synth Challenge #121: Any One Synth (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tempted to do everything with Serum, never try to do anything but synth with it so far :D

J.Ruegg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:52 pm
zarf wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm Has anyone ever used hardware before in an 'Any One Synth' month?
I think not, but there have been people asking if they could... and if I remember correctly it was exactly because you couldn't replicate it that it wasn't allowed. :?
Kind of hard to share the project incase a verification call was put in.

Ranoka wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:21 pm Welcome David!
I'm relatively new compared to some, but from my understanding, the spirit of One Synth Challenge is to synthesize the sounds using a synth. So no samples or vocals - just pure synthesis, which makes it quite a technical challenge. So if you use one of the hybrid sampler-synths like Falcon or Omnisphere you can only use the synthesizer and effects, but not the sampling aspect.

You should also check the link to the rules on the first page because there is restrictions on which external effects you can use. They have to be free and widely available, and not modulate or change the sound like chorus or pitch shifting, or using distortion to drastically change a sound. You can of course use those effects if they're built into the synth since that's part of its sound. This has a bigger impact with the more limited free synths - I bet Falcon has all those effects you could abuse built in :hihi:

There is some clarification on custom waveforms and wavetables on the first post. Single cycle waveforms are ok. Loading a snare sample (for example) is against the rules - you have to figure out how to synthesize it yourself using the synth.

Btw, if you fancy a chat or any clarification, come join the OSC Slack where there's always a bunch of us from all over the world hanging out and chatting about synths and stuff!
Thanks for the response. On reading that, falcon probably not the best synth to use. in the spirit of the challenge,i will choose something more limited.

So from what you are saying, compression, eq etc are fine (as long as they are freebies) i assume delay and reverb are ok in a limited fashion? but preferably from the synth. Probably just safer to do all effects in the synth.

i just have two more questions:
What about drums?
What about the mixbuss?
Cheers! This seems like quite a fun community!

DavidCarlyon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:39 am
The rules specify the limitations for external effects quite clearly (I guess they've been refines over the 10 years! :hihi:)
So external compression, eq, delay, reverb are fine for mixing purposes - using pitch shifting in delay/reverb is frowned upon. Aggressive saturation/distortion is generally frowned upon (unless it's in the synth!). The more extreme sound design effects should be done with the synth effects if they're present.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/faq

This month is extra fun because you can choose a modern commercial synth has has a lot of nice effects we normally can't use, like Serum, Zebra or Dune etc :D which have built in distortion, chorus etc.

If you look at last month for instance SE PolyMod was lot more limited and only had 2 delays as inbuilt effects (which can be used for chorus and flanging and stuff if you're clever).

Regarding Drums - they have to be synthesized using the synth! you can't use any drum samples, that's one of the main parts of the challenge, most people start by synthesizing the drum sounds :D
There are some helpful tutorials on the OSC tutorial page:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/howtos

Regarding the MixBuss - I'm not sure what your question is. But mixing and overall production values are very important in OSC if you want to place well! Listen to some of the winning entries from previous months!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and hope you have fun!

You can use any effects from your DAW or freeware plugins on the mix bus, subject to the same rules highlighted by Ranoka. If you read the rules in the links shared by Ranoka, the effects that you can and cannot use will become clear.

The challenge is to 'synthesize' all the sounds from the same synth so drums, fx, leads, etc. EVERYTHING, needs to come from the same synth. No samples or sampling allowed.

Ranoka wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:18 am
The rules specify the limitations for external effects quite clearly (I guess they've been refines over the 10 years! :hihi:)
So external compression, eq, delay, reverb are fine for mixing purposes - using pitch shifting in delay/reverb is frowned upon. Aggressive saturation/distortion is generally frowned upon (unless it's in the synth!). The more extreme sound design effects should be done with the synth effects if they're present.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/faq

This month is extra fun because you can choose a modern commercial synth has has a lot of nice effects we normally can't use, like Serum, Zebra or Dune etc :D which have built in distortion, chorus etc.

If you look at last month for instance SE PolyMod was lot more limited and only had 2 delays as inbuilt effects (which can be used for chorus and flanging and stuff if you're clever).

Regarding Drums - they have to be synthesized using the synth! you can't use any drum samples, that's one of the main parts of the challenge, most people start by synthesizing the drum sounds :D
There are some helpful tutorials on the OSC tutorial page:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/howtos

Regarding the MixBuss - I'm not sure what your question is. But mixing and overall production values are very important in OSC if you want to place well! Listen to some of the winning entries from previous months!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and hope you have fun!

Synthesizing drum sounds? IM IN!!!
This sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear what everyone comes up with!

Sorry for all the questions....
are iTB synths better for this? Could i, for example, use my Behringer Deep mind?

I am torn between
Deep Mind
Dune 3
Voltage Modular

I think i will rule out Avenger and Falcon - doesn't seem to fit too well with the ethic of this

8) no hardware synth. Results have to reproducable hen requested by admin.

jasinski wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 am
J.Ruegg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:52 pm
zarf wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm Has anyone ever used hardware before in an 'Any One Synth' month?
I think not, but there have been people asking if they could... and if I remember correctly it was exactly because you couldn't replicate it that it wasn't allowed. :?
Kind of hard to share the project incase a verification call was put in.
This

I am tempted to do a Bitwig Phase 4 OSC. Bitwig itself is a bit like a modular synth regarding the modulation possibilities. I‘d restrict myself to native devices only - no vst at all...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:26 pm I am tempted to do a Bitwig Phase 4 OSC. Bitwig itself is a bit like a modular synth regarding the modulation possibilities. I‘d restrict myself to native devices only - no vst at all...
Go for it! we need more people to use stock synths in any synth months I think uwu
It's very tasty, I swear!

Ah, I may give this one a swing, with FM8 that is. ^_^
Sound designer, composer, writer, FM8-galore, Win/SSD/i7/32GB, Cubase10Pro

Happy anniversary.
i don't always have the time to participate but I have followed since 2014. I have learned so much from this contest. I am in awe of those who do this month in and month out.

Last any synth I chose Walorf ppg 2v

this time

Tal u no lx

looking forward to doing this again.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

ThePresent wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:18 pm 8) no hardware synth. Results have to reproducable hen requested by admin.
Yeah that makes sense.

DavidCarlyon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:13 pm
ThePresent wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:18 pm 8) no hardware synth. Results have to reproducable hen requested by admin.
Yeah that makes sense.
I would allow it though, you could make a video or in case its an Eurorack setup redo the patch in VCV rack...
I would like to see Vurt participating...

If I understand rules correctly (quote: "Sampling for example a bass drum in order to get a consistent sound is not allowed either.") I can't sample synth sounds to make a consistent trance rolling bassline? :/

Return to “Instruments”