Best electric guitar amp on a budget

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey! I'm just getting started with electric guitar, and I'm pretty excited. Only thing that's keeping me back right now is amplifiers... Maybe you could help?
Unfortunately my budget is $65 :? Most cheap guitar amps that still have a good tone are a hundred from what I'm seeing. My solution is buying this 25 dollar Fender Frontman 15g on a local listing, but if there's anything you'd add, I'd be glad to hear it. The sound I gravitate towards is punk rock and some of Paramore's newer stuff which is some 80's sounding tones (of which I don't know how to describe, lol. Awesome sound though). Though Paramore's new sound seems pretty heavily reliant on effects pedals, so I don't expect any amps for 65 bucks to deliver on that. But you get the point :) Thanks.

In that price range, that's probably as good a deal as you're going to get.

Don't forget that you can always upgrade later when you have funds to do it - IMO it's better to start playing than to spend what could be a lengthy period of time hoping a better deal will come along.
Sweet child in time...

It’s pretty much get what you can in that price range, choices will be very limited. I started out with a Fender Solid State amp (Reverb 35) and I still have, and use, it.

However, I like Peavey TransTube amps (I had an Audition when I had to limit my volume) and they are occasionally on sale, so look for a Solo in your range. Also, Vox Pathfinder (I have the bass version) and Orange Crush (I have a 12L) are really nice and should be at the top of your range, when on sale, ex-display or used.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

With enough luck, you can find a used combo amp for the price, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anything worth using brand new.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

If you keep your eyes peeled you might be able to pick up one of the little Fender Mustang modelling amps used for around that price. I bought one as a monitoring amp for DI recording and am mighty impressed with it for the price. To get the best from it you need to have it plugged into the PC via usb so you can edit all the parameters (of course you can save your sounds to the preset banks on the amp). Some decent effects in there and the models are good. The Fender ones in particular are great (it being sa Fender and that..) but all are useable for the money. Also has a USB record out, which is useful.

for just starting out, any of the above (im an orange fan myself) will do.
forget this tone and that tone, you want something that will amplify you a bit, so you can practice.
the mustang modelling amp, there you get the fx, for a beginner, that's a world of excitement :D
and you get to learn which effects you are interested in, before you move on to being able to upgrade to your chosen amp and a few choice fx boxes to get the tone you now understand more about :)

its a harsh truth, but buying the exact same rig as paramore right now, if you could afford it, would not get you the tone. it will get you some of the way there, but any decent guitarist, a lot of what you hear comes from how they play as much as what they use :)

And I'd suggest that if you can find a Mustang (best advice, so far), to leave off most FX until you have progressed to the point of playing songs all the way through, cleanly. FX are too often a crutch for lazy people. Just dial in a bit of reverb. That would be my 2 farthings worth.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I just picked up an Orange Crush 20 combo for £100 ... couldn't be happier with it. I'm used to playing through bigger amps, but this thing sounds great, and has a headphone out with a speaker sim built-in for quiet practising and recording. They make a version with reverb for a few more quid. 8)

Either a Boss Katana mini $99 or find a used Roland Cube 30 . I own a Roland Cube30x and love it.

Very happy with my Cube. I tried the Mustang in a shop and although it sounded good I didn't like how the current knob positions don't represent the current sound; the channels are digital presets including FX. Spiders do the same thing if I recall correctly. The Cube setup is more immediate while a useful set of basic fx and tuner are still available. For a proper gig I would push full patches from my fx board into the clean channel.

Just be warned that cheap combo amps with on board fx often sound terrible above speaking level. They are really cool at first until you use the volume knob.

You could probably find an older peavey bandit for cheap. The clean channel is bland but the lead is good. They are also invincible and can be cranked. If you want more fx you can find dirt cheap pedals everywhere. Those danelectro pedals can be found for like $5.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:42 pm Image
You can't get a clean tone out of Orange amps, can you? I've tried a couple, and they were grungy at even very low volumes.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:42 pm Image
You can't get a clean tone out of Orange amps, can you? I've tried a couple, and they were grungy at even very low volumes.
i find it difficult to get a clean tone from any amp.
i usually put it down to the 2 or 3 fuzz pedals and the distortion pedal in the chain of fx...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”