DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

cytospur wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:23 am It has been requested and it's a great idea. You can copy paste voices between instances though.
Yes i know you can copy paste and that method kinda sucks...thats why i asked per-voice-preset-loading instead :D

you cant save any mod matrix or fx stuff with a voice/layer, so its not really very useful

copy/paste is pretty convenient right now

I wanted to ask about the Delay module:

- the Simple + Offset algo has not control knob for offset. How do we control that? If I remember correctly, Dune 2 had offset knob? Don't have it installed, so can't verify.

And most delay algos have the exact same controls, excluding Filtered and Swing - looks a bit half-baked to me, to the point of thinking - is that by design, or an error? I mean, what's the same between Dual PP, Diffuse and Tape? They are vastly different processes, but in Dune 3, have the exact same set of controls. Why is that?

Is there a tutorial for the wavetable editor somewhere. ?

Dune2supersaw wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 am Is there a tutorial for the wavetable editor somewhere. ?
apart from the manual, im not aware of one.

you know, its very strange... a built in wavetable editor was by far the biggest feature request in D2. Since it was implemented in D3, i havent seen a single user mention it (apart from Mark who builds a ton of maths based wt's)

i have no idea how it works, i use the original separate app, so i assume everyone instinctively knows how it works, or it it was a total waste of time adding it as nobody uses it. I certainly havent seen anyone else offering wt's they have created themselves

:shrug:

AnX wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:09 am
you know, its very strange... a built in wavetable editor was by far the biggest feature request in D2. Since it was implemented in D3, i havent seen a single user mention it (apart from Mark who builds a ton of maths based wt's)
I certainly havent seen anyone else offering wt's they have created themselves
I guess user requests can be a strange thing.
The best way to deal with it imo is to dig deeper and ask for more and more detail.
Than you can see that sometimes users can do with a simpler implementation than they ask for. Sometimes a certain need can also be 'created' e.g. because another synth has it. (If the neighbour has it, i need to have it too).

It's always very important to know what users actually DO with a product. Users don't always know what they need themselves.

In this case it would seem that only a small percentage of users actually make WT themselves?
That would have been vital info to know beforehand.

Until Synapse says what their plans are for the future it's pretty pointless making feature requests if we don't know if development of Dune will continue or they will start a new project.

I've seen several people post with some confidence and enthusiasm that "Synapse is working on an Oberheim emulation".

I might vote for that over tacking on more features to Dune 3 most of which don't expand the range of sounds it can make one bit.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AnX wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:09 am
Dune2supersaw wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 am Is there a tutorial for the wavetable editor somewhere. ?
apart from the manual, im not aware of one.

i have no idea how it works, i use the original separate app, so i assume everyone instinctively knows how it works, or it it was a total waste of time adding it as nobody uses it. I certainly havent seen anyone else offering wt's they have created themselves

:shrug:
I made a crap ton of WTs for Dune 3 included in my library. I just don't talk about it much. But I found it my favorite part of Dune 3. If that matters any.

kosmios wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 am I wanted to ask about the Delay module:

- the Simple + Offset algo has not control knob for offset. How do we control that? If I remember correctly, Dune 2 had offset knob? Don't have it installed, so can't verify.

And most delay algos have the exact same controls, excluding Filtered and Swing - looks a bit half-baked to me, to the point of thinking - is that by design, or an error? I mean, what's the same between Dual PP, Diffuse and Tape? They are vastly different processes, but in Dune 3, have the exact same set of controls. Why is that?
So I've checked version 2 and there is no Offset knob for the Simple+Offset delay mode either.

And the manual says: Simple+Offset is identical to the Simple delay, except that the right channel is delayed. <By how much? Is it hardcoded, or changes with the time settings? On which channel?>
When both channels share the same delay time, this sounds like the ping-pong delay except
for a missing first echo.
<Missing on right channel, I assume. But this is not an offset, the first echo should happen later. And this is not an offset either, offset is when the delay (wet signal) is delayed by a certain amount against the dry signal, BEFORE the delay settings kick in.>

In other words, it's a mess.
Like I said, the delay module needs a lot more attention. Oh, but backwards compatibility...
Riiight... :roll:

kosmios wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:09 pm
kosmios wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 am I wanted to ask about the Delay module:

So I've checked version 2 and there is no Offset knob for the Simple+Offset delay mode either.

And the manual says: Simple+Offset is identical to the Simple delay, except that the right channel is delayed. <By how much? Is it hardcoded, or changes with the time settings? On which channel?>
When both channels share the same delay time, this sounds like the ping-pong delay except
for a missing first echo.
<Missing on right channel, I assume. But this is not an offset, the first echo should happen later. And this is not an offset either, offset is when the delay (wet signal) is delayed by a certain amount against the dry signal, BEFORE the delay settings kick in.>

In other words, it's a mess.
Like I said, the delay module needs a lot more attention. Oh, but backwards compatibility...
Riiight... :roll:
if you think its buggy or wrong, email their suport, im sure Rich or Marcin will be happy to look into it.

AnX wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:24 pm if you think its buggy or wrong, email their suport, im sure Rich or Marcin will be happy to look into it.
It's not buggy, it's wrong. And it's not clear how it works. The whole delay section is half-baked. They should be aware of that, they've worked on Dune for how many years already? Need a wake up call from me?!

kosmios wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:09 pm So I've checked version 2 and there is no Offset knob for the Simple+Offset delay mode either.
I know this guy got his red card already but for future reference the "Width" knob is the Offset Knob. Easily seen by using 1/1 for the Rates and setting the Width Knob to 100%. Switching between "Simple" and "Simple+Offset" shows the difference between the two modes. Until noted otherwise one assumes the behavior is intended since Simple+Offset has been around since Dune 2.

Just another case of someone mistaking "There is a problem " with "I have a problem". :shrug:

Anyway as AnX has said if you have an issue, want to report a bug or you don't think something is functioning the way you want then posting in this thread is not likely to get any results.

Post at the Synapse forums or use the service address AnX provided. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

rich might have to give dave a job, seems to be a popular request to have him fired.
more popular than any new filter modules...

I am new to DUNE and I just got DUNE 3 and its badass I am trying to figure out how to use the FM is it real FM using another osc or is it all done there in that section thank you

its 3 operator FM using sine waves

(p31/32 in manual)

Return to “Instruments”