Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Parallels

audiodeluxe in cart = $108.99
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:47 pm audiodeluxe in cart = $108.99
Still expensive, what does it offer that’s different to all other new soft synths?

I Googled on your behalf and Music Radar say:

Parallels highlights

A plug-in soft-synth with dual wavescanning source sections
Almost a hundred high-quality pre-recorded multi-waveforms
Sonic progression within each waveform means near-infinite source-material
Two parallel sources means blended sounds, opening up exponentially more possibilities
Up to fourteen voices (seven per source when both sources are active)
Hundreds of expertly-created presets from world-leading synth artists, engineers, and sound-designers, including Brian Transeau a.k.a. BT, Richard Devine, Inhalt, and more.
Three analog-modeled filter types (state-variable, vactrol LPG, and resonant peaks)
Five sophisticated types of modulation source; LFO, random, Euclidian sequencer, step sequencer, and envelope
Five top-quality effects options; distortion, chorus, flanger, delay, and reverb
Inspirational, creative, and beautiful
Crucially, it always sounds amazing

simmo75 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm
Aloysius wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:47 pm audiodeluxe in cart = $108.99
Still expensive, what does it offer that’s different to all other new soft synths?
Conceptually, it offers new concepts. Sound wise, no it sounds quite unoriginal and sounds like many other synths we've hear over the years.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Instead of this they should develop more modules for Modular.
dedication to flying

Vortifex wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:02 pm Looks like an overpriced version of Go2 with iLok and fewer features.
Go2 sounds amazing to me
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

the concept is ok and the synth is easy to programm, but for softube this is a big disapointment, they should offer it for $39 as ST Modular rack. The presets and the overall sound is not worth the asked money

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iLuv iLok

Softube Modular is MPE compatibile, but I don't see anything about MPE for this one. Guessing it's not?

"The sound sources derive from meticulous, high quality recordings of some of the most sought-after synths ever made and even some that never made it into production."

Hmm. Are there significant disadvantages to using samples of analogue synths rather than physical modelling?
Last edited by Ou_Tis on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

With Softube being one of my very favourite software developers, I was very excited to see Softube had released their first synth plugin. So, even after putting myself through watching all 5 Softube introduction videos (hyperbole overload), I still downloaded the demo. Surely I must be missing something here? There must be more to this plugin that what the 5 videos have shown me? Nope. Example:- I noted "Velocity" on the bottom right of the GUI but not mentioned in the videos. Great I thought. Velocity as a modulation source to modulate other parameters. Quite a common option in plugin instruments these days. Nope. Velocity just affects volume on this plugin.

This looks like a plugin that developers would release as an early beta for users to trial and give feedback on. I really can't believe that Softube have knowingly released this plugin. Even at $30 I wouldn't bother.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

hesnotthemessiah wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:15 pm With Softube being one of my very favourite software developers, I was very excited to see Softube had released their first synth plugin.
Does Modular not count?

rod_zero wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:05 pm Instead of this they should develop more modules for Modular.
+1

Did they license the drift algorithm from IK?
Will Jordan Rudess replace Softube George?

I just spent an hour with the demo. From what I read here I was expecting something pretty bad. However I am pleasantly surprised by Parallels. It has a kind of Falcon sound - that layering of textures and sweeps. Very nice. Then I started with a blank patch and was also impressed with how easy it is to use. Instead of providing simple sources they are fairly complex but also generic enough to allow a lot of flexibility. I like the GUI and usability. It was a 1.6G download.

My only hang-up is the price. It's more of a personal issue than generic - I think if you have a business use for this synth it's easily justifiable. It's kind of like a "one knob Falcon" (but with more than one knob).

Parallels is more like mixing presets with lots of modulation opportunities, than a "synth". Interesting concept: a synth-preset mixing synth. :phones:
Last edited by plexuss on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”