How to use presets in Charlatan?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm trying to learn some basics about electronic music and got some free synths
to play around with. I couldn't use presets in Synth1 and someone told me about using the initsettings.exe program in the Synth1 folder and that got them going. Now in Charlatan where the presets should be listed there's a bunch of <empty>. But in the Charlatan folder there's a folder that says presets, and it has stuff in it. There's no initsettings.exe program in there though. Can I copy the one from Synth1 and use it the same way and make it work like that? Or is there something else for Charlatan?

Thanks for any help!
David

You need to open the .fxb files (bank) or fxp files (presets) from within your host.
Each bank file will only work with the synth it was made for so there is no way to import patches from Synth1 into Charlatan as the architecture is different.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Ghostwave wrote:Each bank file will only work with the synth it was made for so there is no way to import patches from Synth1 into Charlatan as the architecture is different.
Right.

But also: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/vst-plu ... tian-budde

:)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Ghostwave wrote:You need to open the .fxb files (bank) or fxp files (presets) from within your host.
Each bank file will only work with the synth it was made for so there is no way to import patches from Synth1 into Charlatan as the architecture is different.
There are several .fxb files in the presets folder but windows says it doesn't know how to open them. I still don't know what to do.

Also I wasn't trying to use Synth1 patches with Charlatan, but thought (hoped!) that the initsettings.exe program that got the Synth1 patches to start working, might be a general program to use like that with different types of synths.

nopeda wrote:There are several .fxb files in the presets folder but windows says it doesn't know how to open them. I still don't know what to do.
You don't open it with Windows.

What DAW are you on ? Cubase ? REAPER ? FL ?
Open the synth in your DAW, look around (literally) the synth UI for a button that lets you load a new FXB bank.
It works the same way with 99% VST and VSTi plugins.

Here is how it looks in REAPER:

[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:What DAW are you on ? Cubase ? REAPER ? FL ?
Open the synth in your DAW, look around (literally) the synth UI for a button that lets you load a new FXB bank.
It works the same way with 99% VST and VSTi plugins.
Thank you so much!!! I'm using Reaper. It took a minute to find that menu, but with the great pic you provided I recognised it right away. And that works for most of them you say, so that's an awesome thing to have learned. But having to load everything that way seems sort of like an extra step. Are you familiar with the initsettings.exe program? If not, do you think there's any chance that it works in a number of synths too, and adds the presets to the drop down menu...or...something like that, so we don't always have to hunt them down and select them each time?

nopeda wrote:But having to load everything that way seems sort of like an extra step. Are you familiar with the initsettings.exe program? If not, do you think there's any chance that it works in a number of synths too, and adds the presets to the drop down menu...or...something like that, so we don't always have to hunt them down and select them each time?
That exe was written especially for Synth1 so i would say there is 0 chance it would work with other synths. :)

You can load a fxb bank and then save the synth as FX chain (from track FX window) and then REAPER will always open the chain with the fxb bank already loaded.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

so how am I supposed to use presets in FL? Always shows up as empty
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

if your DAW or Sequencer doesnt support .FXP and .FXB you are SOL with Charlatan and other VSTi's
that rely on that format for preset loading. the only "sloppy" way i can see someone using it is to use
savihost and a midi yoke driver to pipe midi info from the daw to savihost which does support FXP,FXB loading.
OR use a vst chainer within the daw that DOES support .FXB, FXP.

but again...sloppy.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 pm if your DAW or Sequencer doesnt support .FXP and .FXB you are SOL with Charlatan and other VSTi's
that rely on that format for preset loading. the only "sloppy" way i can see someone using it is to use
savihost and a midi yoke driver to pipe midi info from the daw to savihost which does support FXP,FXB loading.
OR use a vst chainer within the daw that DOES support .FXB, FXP.

but again...sloppy.
but it's FL Studio though...

Samuel_S wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:17 pm so how am I supposed to use presets in FL? Always shows up as empty
use the middle icon ( plug + gear ) of the FL Wrapper to access the Preset menu .
hit ' load ' > then navigate to the location you stored your presets when you installed
charlatan ...
if you did not load the presets , do so ...
remember where ...

experimental.crow wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:04 pm
Samuel_S wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:17 pm so how am I supposed to use presets in FL? Always shows up as empty
use the middle icon ( plug + gear ) of the FL Wrapper to access the Preset menu .
hit ' load ' > then navigate to the location you stored your presets when you installed
charlatan ...
if you did not load the presets , do so ...
remember where ...
i dont use reaper, but yeah... the fruity wrapper thing like crow noted.
wrapper to me sounds sloppy like using savihost, but
its a way. :borg:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I mean I only have FXBs so no presets show up at all even after loading in the FXB

Samuel_S wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 pm I mean I only have FXBs so no presets show up at all even after loading in the FXB
i just d/l'd the synth , loaded it up , browsed to the preset folder ,
as described above ...
they load ... it works ...

experimental.crow wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Samuel_S wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 pm I mean I only have FXBs so no presets show up at all even after loading in the FXB
i just d/l'd the synth , loaded it up , browsed to the preset folder ,
as described above ...
they load ... it works ...
did you use FXP or FXB?

Return to “Instruments”