Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:44 pm Fathom does not have a single mouse right click context menu, and that will remain so.
Thank you for keeping it that way! I've also tried VCV Rack, and although the GUI emulates a real modular setup, I seriously like the way Fathom connects modules over VCV. It's more of a "Flow Chart", and less of a "Spaghetti Pile" than traditional modular connections. It makes Fathom easier to learn, and for us OCD guys, a blessing to work with. :D
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

@Scrubbing Monkeys, I just grabbed Aggressive Edges, and this is a very impressive bank! I hope to master programming Fathom like you have in the future. It's also good to see someone else besides myself that uses channel pressure as a pitch modulator quite often. It free's up the ModWheel for alternate routing choices, and adds depth for a multi expressive performance. :)
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

Can we please have flow chart type connections, like Synthedit.

See my example: http://rhmodules.nl/blog/wp-content/upl ... -Adder.png

Hey Everett, what's the best way to submit a bug report? Should I just list it here, or shoot you an email?

RPH, Beautiful picture, Yes, when there are multiple connections per audio unit we can do something like that. Bottom line is no pull down menus, only patch cables, nicely organized like that picture.
That really looks a lot better than everything dangling down like spaghetti.

Bugs, either way is fine. You can post here or email to:
support@fathomsynth.com

I will see it quicker on the email since I have a desktop alarm for incoming gmails.

KarmaFX Modular is another, not sure if anyone else mentioned it.

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:22 pm RPH, Beautiful picture, Yes, when there are multiple connections per audio unit we can do something like that. Bottom line is no pull down menus, only patch cables, nicely organized like that picture.
That really looks a lot better than everything dangling down like spaghetti.
I agree. If Fathom's design intent is to remain with form following function, then the flowchart style would be preferable to a more skeumorphic design.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Patching from inside components is a ways down the road.

Higher priority for 2019 are the Sampler, Analog Emulation, Spectral Morphing and GPU Processing.

So this is a perfect time for a GPU Update. I've started working with NVIDIA CUDA and running the examples in Visual Studio. I've confirmed that even with my three year old NVIDIA GTX 980 the multiply factor is over 256 parallel thread in the GPU. For newer cards it could be as much as x 2048.

This will allow Fathom to modulate any spectral parameter and construct a 2014 sample waveform in the GPU every sample !

I also confirmed that CPU to GPU data transfer can go in parallel with GPU thread processing meaning that even if there is a latency between the CPU and GPU, a simple buffering scheme between multiple thread blocks will maintain the extreme output.

Regarding the modular design:

On the beginning of this year I've reinstalled my desktop PC and after three years fired up "The-One-And-Only" Alchemy (bought it maybe a half year before it's exitus). After four hours of playing with it I've realized how great synth Alchemy really is (was).

I would sold my soul for version 2.0 (scalable GUI, faster graphics, better granular and additive synthesis, etc.). But we all know the story and in the fact is very sad that money can turn everything upside down... :(

I bought Fathom few days ago and I'm still quite lost in it's design. But I'm still strongly convinced that Fathom is very capable synth with more-than-endless possibilities :tu:
Last edited by boriskarloff on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm glad to hear we made a good first impression. I too own Alchemy, actually still use it. Best sample collection I ever saw in a synth with the exception of Omnisphere. If Fathom is able to hold your attention after using Alchemy then that is indeed a good sign.

zzz00m wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 pmI agree. If Fathom's design intent is to remain with form following function, then the flowchart style would be preferable to a more skeumorphic design.
Rather not. Skeumorphic design is distracting and waste of developers and also users time. Why to have shiny junk stuff that doesn't do anything. Because it may look better for somebody it doesn't mean it is practical. Simpler is better. I hope NOT to see hanging cables in Fathom. :pray:
boriskarloff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:27 amI bought Fathom few days ago and I'm still quite lost in it's design. But I'm still strongly convinced that Fathom is very capable synth with more-than-endless possibilities :tu:
Well it was fir synth that force me to read manual in order to make something. Even reading manual doesn't help at beginning. But when you get used to it you will find this concept quite good.

@Everett: Look like new version is more CPU hungry than one I used before in OSC. Still experiencing simillar problems with ADRS clicks (sometimes quite random) at beggining of new note. I'm planning to use Fathom for OSC #120. But I'm getting 50% CPU with one instance with few chords. 8) I tried everyting you suggest but no help. Even swicthing to draft mode doesn't change CPU ussage.

TrojakEW wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:53 am
zzz00m wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 pmI agree. If Fathom's design intent is to remain with form following function, then the flowchart style would be preferable to a more skeumorphic design.
Rather not. Skeumorphic design is distracting and waste of developers and also users time. Why to have shiny junk stuff that doesn't do anything. Because it may look better for somebody it doesn't mean it is practical. Simpler is better. I hope NOT to see hanging cables in Fathom. :pray:
Oh yeah.. the example below is muuuuch better :roll: :nutter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

AmbieticA wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:06 am @Scrubbing Monkeys, I just grabbed Aggressive Edges, and this is a very impressive bank! I hope to master programming Fathom like you have in the future. It's also good to see someone else besides myself that uses channel pressure as a pitch modulator quite often. It free's up the ModWheel for alternate routing choices, and adds depth for a multi expressive performance. :)
Thank you very much. I put a lot of " love" into it.

Fathom is a deep beast and I learn something new everyday. It is one of those synths that begs the question "I wonder if I can.....". Thats where neat things happen.

I like channel pressure myself even though my Roland controller uses a light beam instead of actual CP. I am real curious to know how it feels. Since the light beam is a whole different creature.

I will release a new bank "Purple Mist" this week. It will be on the Fathom site as well.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

FathomSynth wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 am I'm glad to hear we made a good first impression. I too own Alchemy, actually still use it. Best sample collection I ever saw in a synth with the exception of Omnisphere. If Fathom is able to hold your attention after using Alchemy then that is indeed a good sign.
I just wanted to say that Alchemy has got perfect modular system (at least for me). It's very easy and not that "geeky-cheeky" cable-system like u-he ACE, Bazille or VCV rack. I think that this "visual cable system" is quite silly in these modern times. That's why I never bought "real" VST modular system (and never will). It can be done in more modern style like in Serum and many others. Sorry for these strong words :) 8)

Another vote...NO cables.

Having the modulator light up when you hover over the target is cool. Not perfect but better.

I myself have tried to imagine a way of being able to quickly see every relationship but have not come up with anything better.

After 5 cables you cant see anything. I don't mind the extra click in order to keep the interface clean and visible. I really like being able to clearly see everything on the screen without strain. Spire is the only other deep synth that I have that is really comfortable to look at. The Mod matrix in Spire s adequate and like Fathom once you establish your method things come to view pretty quickly.

If we have inter component modulation. Maybe it turns out like Mux OR maybe Everett can be as inventive as he was with the original GUI and give us something yet unseen.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Instruments”