Is it really sick to have 20 synthesizers?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would you rather bee a wasp?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

It's fab!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:37 pm Would you rather bee a wasp?
or not a hornet?

rotku60 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:47 pm The cruelty of age. I finally have the resources for stacks of vintage synths. I could even take on a project of restoring a vintage car from my youth. However, I sit on the cash for fear I might need it in retirement and really don't want to be a greeter at WalMart or stuck eating cat food. Plus, VSTi's are so darn convenient. Some of the studio photos, are seriously cool, solid, groovy, righteous.
Walmart is getting rid of the greeters so that is out too :hihi:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

dblock wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:51 pm
rotku60 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:47 pm The cruelty of age. I finally have the resources for stacks of vintage synths. I could even take on a project of restoring a vintage car from my youth. However, I sit on the cash for fear I might need it in retirement and really don't want to be a greeter at WalMart or stuck eating cat food. Plus, VSTi's are so darn convenient. Some of the studio photos, are seriously cool, solid, groovy, righteous.
So, what's wrong with cat food?
it doesnt taste sufficiently of cat.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:16 pm I don't have 20 great sounding software synthesizers anyway. :lol:
I do. All my 20+ softsynths sound great. Perhaps that's because I spend more time using them than talking about them.
fisherKing wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:26 pm are there, in fact, that many 'great sounding' software synths? (because i can only think of 8 or 9...)
That's still twice as many as there are great sounding hardware synths........ :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

We are all one synthesizer in the great studio of the universe.

(But the filters are crap.)

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:46 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:16 pm I don't have 20 great sounding software synthesizers anyway. :lol:
I do. All my 20+ softsynths sound great. Perhaps that's because I spend more time using them than talking about them.
Well... i could start a discussion about demand again now, but, i think we well know how that will end by now. ;)

chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:24 pm Well... i could start a discussion about demand again now, but, i think we well know how that will end by now. ;)
Yes you'd learn that softsynths far out sell hardware synths.

I still own hardware synths and effects. They haven't been powered up in months for the same reason I drive my car everywhere I need to go instead of riding a bicycle........ :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think you misunderstood me a bit there. I'm not at all advocating for hardware synths. Even though it took me quite a while to find some decent software ones. I'd never switch to hardware though. The advantages with software way outweigh potential advantages of hardware. IMO, it's rather about the taste and skills of software developers. For example, in my opinion, it took software developers way too long to bring something to software like Access did with the virus to VA hardware. That's not a general issue with software though. Rather a matter of developers whose taste obviously works a bit contrary.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:46 am
fisherKing wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:26 pm are there, in fact, that many 'great sounding' software synths? (because i can only think of 8 or 9...)
That's still twice as many as there are great sounding hardware synths........ :lol:
This :clap:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:41 pm Rather a matter of developers whose taste obviously works a bit contrary.
Contrary to what you think. :wink:

I'm still waiting for hardware developers to come up with something like Alchemy or Avenger in a price range that average musicians can afford without taking out a second mortgage.

The hardware companies seem fixated on the past because they think that's what people want in the same way car companies think that all people want to drive SUVs.

There was a time we could say that hardware was superior to software in every way. That time has long since passed. I would argue that the opposite is true now..... :shrug:

There is no hardware Absynth so yeah we're done. Long ago done. None of what I'm really interested in exists in a hardware, and can't.
Some people probably have 20 VAs. Not that I'm gon' judge. :)

I just realised having 20 synths is easy

I’m on Cubase 6.5 which has 7 synths by itself. Two very old ones, three from Cubase 4 and two new ones

I got to know the usual great free VA’s
Obxd Synth 1, some TAL ones, Charlatan, PG8X which makes at least 6 synths so now I’m on 13

Uhe has a couple of free ones or magware which is at least 4 so that’s 17
Then I wanted Bazille and Zebra (had to pay for those, really!) , bang! 19 synths...
And somewhere along the way Synthmaster 1 and 2 came falling down the chimney, hello 21!

And you know what? I don’t feel sick at all :)

Argument from Ignorance

Return to “Instruments”