Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

Two new VM modules by yours truly are now available in the shop: Probability Router 125 and 521, also in a handy bundle for just $12 (demo also available)! They route a CV or audio signal to one of the five outputs, or one of the five input signals to a single output, based on a random selection and adjustable & modulatable probabilities. Great for unpredictable / evolving / generative stuff!

You can also set the attack & release times for input/output switching, which will help you prevent clicks in audio signals, or create slowly morphing soundscapes. One of my favourite uses with the 125 router is to take an audio signal (an oscillator playing some nice arpeggios maybe?), route it to different effect chains (one dry, one with massive delay, one filtered/distorted, etc), set the attack & release to several seconds, and slowly change the outputs. With the 521 router, it’s fun to feed it different basic LFO shapes, randomly switch/morph between them, and use the output to modulate, well, anything.

As I wrote before, I’m also working on a granular module. Seems like every time I think I’m close to locking down the feature set (so that I can start working on the final GUI and optimization etc), I come up with a new idea I just _have_ to implement… :D So, it will still take a while to finish everything, but I’m very happy with the module so far.

Have fun! :party: :phones:

https://store.cherryaudio.com/manufactu ... niac-music

I start to see the appeal of Softube Modular* compared to VM or VCV, because I'm seriously overwhelmed by all those modules from PSP, Benard or Andrew Macaulay - I've no idea what they do & how can I use them in musical context. I mean I understand the words and concepts (like eg. a difference between random & random walks) but there's already so many of them that I've no idea how to differentiate between them, if and how they overlap, which of the comparable 2-3 modules is the best, etc. Great, but really scary. And it's only gonna get worse :help: :scared:

With Softube, there is a very limited, finite number of possibilities and that's comforting.

* it's sarcasm, just in case it wasn't obvious... or is it?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:40 am I start to see the appeal of Softube Modular* compared to VM or VCV, because I'm seriously overwhelmed by all those modules from PSP, Benard or Andrew Macaulay - I've no idea what they do & how can I use them in musical context. I mean I understand the words and concepts (like eg. a difference between random & random walks) but there's already so many of them that I've no idea how to differentiate between them, if and how they overlap, which of the comparable 2-3 modules is the best, etc. Great, but really scary. And it's only gonna get worse :help: :scared:

With Softube, there is a very limited, finite number of possibilities and that's comforting.

* it's sarcasm, just in case it wasn't obvious... or is it?
+1 -> I prefer the simplicity of Softube Modular and also Reaktor, with less modules.
As soon as they started with different connections for mono, poly and midi - i lost the quick workflow which i prefered at the beginning. The same workflow killer are 20 different envelopes, so I don't even want to try out the new shop additions. On the opposite if softube releases a new modularrack, i bought on every release, because it offers me something usefull with high quality sound.

antic604 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:40 am I start to see the appeal of Softube Modular* compared to VM or VCV, because I'm seriously overwhelmed by all those modules [...] Great, but really scary. And it's only gonna get worse :help: :scared:

sacer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am +1 -> I prefer the simplicity of Softube Modular [...]
VCV, VM, VSTs, Reaktor, etc... the overflow of choices can easily be limited by you, unless you're incapable of doing so and need to rely on "external" enforced limitations.

I prefer more choices to be available so I can choose what to use instead of someone do the choosing for me.

Anyone afraid of an ever growing amount of choices will surely be spooked by the amount of VSTs as a simple example, which far surpass the amount of VM modules currently available :)
antic604 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:40 am * it's sarcasm, just in case it wasn't obvious... or is it?
:D

Having said all that, my issue with Softube Modular is that its GUI+UX is totally awkward and unnatural to me. Each time I load it (can't remember the last time I tried) I close it immediately with a "oh, right, that's why I don't/can't use it" :)
Last edited by Koshdukai on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Koshdukai wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:33 pm VCV, VM, VSTs, Reaktor, etc... the overflow of choices can easily be limited by you
I can understand the sentiment of too many choices, but really you can just ignore the extra modules.

But maybe a greater concentration on more 'straight forward emulations' like Softube did with emulations of Cloud, Rubicon, Morgasmatron,... instead of 20 kinds of enveloppes would be nice.

My 2 cents...

Stefken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 pm But maybe a greater concentration on more 'straight forward emulations' like Softube did with emulations of Cloud, Rubicon, Morgasmatron,... instead of 20 kinds of enveloppes would be nice.

My 2 cents...
Softube did that to "milk the cow". They could very well build similar modules on their own, and include them for free in their system, but they went the 'straight forward emulations' in order to be able to charge between $25 and $50 per module.

I very much prefer to have 10 envelopes, 10 oscillators, 10 filters, 10 LFOs and a hundred other modules to choose from and take the time selecting the ones I prefer than pay an arm and leg for some limited choices, just because they are 'straight forward emulations'.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:34 pm
Stefken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 pm But maybe a greater concentration on more 'straight forward emulations' like Softube did with emulations of Cloud, Rubicon, Morgasmatron,... instead of 20 kinds of enveloppes would be nice.

My 2 cents...
Softube did that to "milk the cow". They could very well build similar modules on their own, and include them for free in their system, but they went the 'straight forward emulations' in order to be able to charge between $25 and $50 per module.

I very much prefer to have 10 envelopes, 10 oscillators, 10 filters, 10 LFOs and a hundred other modules to choose from and take the time selecting the ones I prefer than pay an arm and leg for some limited choices, just because they are 'straight forward emulations'.
Well, I was not talking about price. I expect VM pricing to be a lot more fair as they have given plenty of modules for free and paying modules are a lot cheaper. VM has a very nice track record regarding not milking the cow and a fair pricing system.

To each his own of course.

:tu: @Captain
Can't wait for your granular module.
Best
YY

Now that I'm fully immersed into VM, I look at it this way. What's come out so far is more than enough for me to do generative West Coast synthesis. Unless something comes out along the lines of some of the emulations that came out for Softube, I'm set. I don't need anymore CV ins and outs or gate manipulators or any of that stuff. So from this point on, what comes out is going to have to be pretty special for me to open my wallet, not that I haven't spent enough already (around $650)

So we'll wait and see what the future holds.

yeah, given you can have as many instances of module a or b as you please, what you already have in just the basic package is a lot more than a lot of hardware modulars you hear great stuff from.
now bring the noise! 8)

i work with softube modular totally different then with voltage modular. both have there merits, for me.
i didn't work with softube modular recently, by the way, it loads too long. contacted support, known issue. it is slow. a got a download link for, previous version. didn't use it, wait till they fix it, and concentrate for the time being on VM.
if you, for instance look at this page:

https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=modular#tips

you see that if you dive deep in it, it can do many things.

but this is a VM thread, i didn't buy the benard bundle, or the psp bundles. bought the andrew macauly ultimate bundle, sampler II, additive oscillator, sixteen step seq. and the remote control (which can also control for instance a mixer, so the voltage controlled mixer isn't needed). and of course the free modules...

i like west coast, but generative, randomizing isn't my thing and isn't the west coast thing per se. but the differences are not that well defined. for generative sounds i go to softube modular.. but with the modules i have so far, it can be done in VM. so much to learn...

nice article about east and west coast: https://reverb.com/news/the-basics-of-e ... -synthesis

and i have reaktor 6, max for live (suite 10), reason 10, and the (semi-)modular stuff of arturia. work for years. to make tracks..

EDIT: bought reaper, because it is the only daw that doesn't produce crackles when the plugin window is open. on 2 systems.... and 2 daw's (reason can not load VM yet).

KVR friends,

Voltage Modular 1.3.5 has just been released. This update features the new QWERTY Keyboard, which allows Voltage Modular to be played directly from your computer’s QWERTY keyboard. It's ideal for rapidly auditioning presets, testing and building complex patches, or working with Voltage Modular when a MIDI controller isn’t available.

Ctrl-K instantly shows or hides the QWERTY Keyboard. The number keys 0 - 9 control the mod wheel, and the Tab key sustains the keys. Press Shift-Tab to lock the sustain button down, and play several keys to easily drive an arpeggiator. The keyboard can be transposed by individual notes or by entire octaves, and it can also be played with a mouse. Working with Voltage Modular is now easier than ever!

The QWERTY Keyboard is also included with Voltage Module Designer for use when testing and debugging modules.

To upgrade to Voltage Modular 1.3.5 immediately, visit https://store.cherryaudio.com/my/library!

Cherry Audio has also released Octagon ($20), a powerhouse sequencer that allows super fast and easy creation of rhythmically elaborate patterns and melodies. Sequences can be up to 32 steps, and each step contains up to 8 gate pulses with numerous modes for extended note values, legato play, repeats, or user-defined patterns within each sequence step! Each step also includes ratcheting, skip, and slide controls. Octagon’s unique slide implementation allows traditional-style synth portamento or 303-style constant rate slide. Octagon also offers numerous step play order modes including an innovative CV control mode for “playing” steps via a keyboard controller or another sequencer.

Check out this video to see how fast and easy it is to create killer rhythmic patterns and melodies with Octagon!

https://youtu.be/6Vfba7DyiEI

Insomniac Music has joined Voltage Modular, releasing their new Probability Router Bundle ($12) which includes the Probability Router 125 and Probability Router 521 modules, both of which are ideal for West Coast-style randomness and sonic morphing.

Benard has added more modules to their collection, including Rotate Inputs, Multi-Delay, Random Out Switch, and the new polyphonic modules, Poly Panner and Poly Scale and Offset. These modules have been added to some of Benard’s existing bundles, so existing owners may already own these new modules!

PSP has released their new PolyADSR-S module, a polyphonic stereo version of their PolyADSR module, including key follow, expression control, and a loop option.

More third party modules are on the way, and will be released very soon!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

Let's see wag not buy Octagon. :party: :tu: :phones:

plexuss wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:36 am Let's see wag not buy Octagon. :party: :tu: :phones:
I hate you. :lol:

the auto update seems to work, last time it actually worked, but i ended with... 1.3.3, although the installer worked...
downloaded via the link...

i will wag my tail about octagon....

Return to “Instruments”