Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"We're doomed" doesn't seem all that trivial a notion to me. It may be rare to think like about about that kind of activity but I see the point.

if you want to talk about something serious you have to go with HPC. And expect it will be pruned fairly soon after.

IncarnateX wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm
telecode wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:55 am Modernity in the present is defined by Drake, Hasley, DJ Khalid
Who?

And they define modernity to whom, where, why and regarding what?

Is that so evident that you do not need say?
This thread is kind of going around in circles. :x

Modernity defined as in who are the current artists that the young generation of music consumers are currently listening to. But, hey, if you find a way to turn then into King Crimson or Tibetian world music fans -- more power to you. :tu:
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

jancivil wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:46 pm "We're doomed"
i just don't see it as an issue as bad as this.
yes, the mainstream is pretty shit.
but theres so much going on beyond that, it seems worse than it is really because we imagine the mainstream to be this huge encapsulating thing, whereas if we look at actual sales figures, the mainstream acts of today are far underselling even the indie acts of yesteryear(except for one or two of the bigger house hold names, britney, gaga et al. )
but the festivals covering rock bands for example are growing year on year, maybe you don't like rock, but for the most part its musicians playing instruments.
nothing is dying because the mainstream is shit.
the mainstream is where genres go to die.

a grass roots movement gets big enough to be noticed, then the suits wring it dry.

This is modern, a girl has a MacBook Pro as an instrument!

Modern beat! Big Bottom!

AND MELODY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAaSV05A5E

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 pm
but theres so much going on beyond that
Yeah, it's like if you take the volume of the total idiots and shitegobs trolling online as that much of a sign, it seems more than it is because it comes across as so amped

jancivil wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:00 pm
but theres so much going on beyond that
Yeah, it's like if you take the volume of the total idiots and shitegobs trolling online as that much of a sign, it seems more than it is because it comes across as so amped
yeah.
or like the old bill hicks skit
"watching the news its all death! war! famine! death! war! famine! open my doors its blue skies and the birds are singing"
or words to that effect 8)

but theres so much going on beyond that, it seems worse than it is really because we imagine the mainstream to be this huge encapsulating thing, whereas if we look at actual sales figures, the mainstream acts of today are far underselling even the indie acts of yesteryear(except for one or two of the bigger house hold names, britney, gaga et al. )
but the festivals covering rock bands for example are growing year on year, maybe you don't like rock, but for the most part its musicians playing instruments.
nothing is dying because the mainstream is shit.
the mainstream is where genres go to die.

a grass roots movement gets big enough to be noticed, then the suits wring it dry.
the "mainstream" was always considered "shit" by people who don't associate or relate to the "mainstream" But mainstream comes around in circles. Stuff that use to be mainstream comes back and becomes nostalgia cool. The Carpenters were mainstream in their hey day and hated by rock fans. 20 years after Karen Carpenter died, they came back in vogue briefly based on her vocal abilities captured on those records made in the 70s. The same thing can be said of a slew of other acts. The disco genre is another great example.

The music you listen to and associate with is a projection of who you want to be. Not always how others see you. Just who you want to be. There is a reason why death metal fans associate with death metal and Caribana lovers love their soca beats.

BTW.. I think you are wrong about the sales figures. Yes, the sales figures of how much acts are making from selling "music" are garbage, but the actual amount music acts are making from all sources is a shit load more than acts like The Ramones or The Pretenders were making back when they were "current" touring acts. And I really don't think alternative acts in the 90s where making that much. I remember hanging out backstage for acts like Skinny Puppy and Blind Melon .. they did not show up in limos with crystal ..

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 pm This thread is kind of going around in circles. :
...as beautifully as your argumentum ad rectum.

"watching the news its all death! war! famine! death! war! famine!"

instead of "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration..."

This is more modern than you lot because of the tiny passive hats in the center of the kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ttesixp9pk

even if the piece covered is from 1994
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IncarnateX wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 pm
telecode wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 pm This thread is kind of going around in circles. :
...as beautifully as your argumentum ad rectum.
argumentum ad culum

Yeah, rather than check yourself for that, point fingers elsewhere, always do this.

I'm providing a lot of content and using something called thought. But do keep digging that hole.
The thread's question regarded music as though really just an "arpeggio" and got to be about melody... a natural course for the discussion I think. You wanted to make it about bullshit.

sure if you compare low end acts rather than people like nirvana, pearl jam or the like.
the smiths? the cure?
sales figures there are gonna outstrip the majority of acts.

maybe not individual single compared to individual single, but i bet the smiths sold more records in total than any one like bieber?
because they have staying power, years later, new generations are picking up on it.
in all but a few cases in todays mainstream, theyre throwaway artists who look good on camera for now.

and while i maintain my stance on the mainstream being a purveyor of shite, i will also admit, that there are a few gems being passed through that sphincter too.
but they are few and far between.
its about stealing teenage girls and boys disposable income and you know it!

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:25 pm sure if you compare low end acts rather than people like nirvana, pearl jam or the like.
the smiths? the cure?
sales figures there are gonna outstrip the majority of acts.
Yeah. I don't know if I have any idea how much those acts were making live. But it was a different era in music. If I recall correctly, when Nirvana and Perl Jam were "current" "modern" acts touring stadiums , Guns and Roses, the Grateful Dead and Rolling Stones where the top grossing concert acts in America. The Cure and Smiths go back a decade and more before grunge. Tickets to concerts were dirt cheap compared to today. The cheapest you can see a decent act (not even a top act mind you) these days is $100 to $200.

I am up here in Toronto. Drake doesn't just "sell" music. The guy (aka his entertainment corporation) has its hands in real estate, sports entertainment, basketball and a slew of other enterprises. I think he's got to be making a shit load more than a bunch of grunge guys traveling in a bus back in the 90s. But what do I know.
in all but a few cases in todays mainstream, theyre throwaway artists who look good on camera for now.
and what has that not been the case with mainstream pop?
and while i maintain my stance on the mainstream being a purveyor of shite, i will also admit, that there are a few gems being passed through that sphincter too.
but they are few and far between.
its about stealing teenage girls and boys disposable income and you know it!
and I firmly make my stance that the shite of yesterday comes back repackaged in a glossy package and develops a pretty tasty cotton candy film on top of it and tastes a lot better when it has aged 10 or 20 years and is not considered mainstream pop. once it develops a little distance from the current mainstream and does not openly offend the listener who refused to associate with the mainstream, it starts to sound different and not quite as bad as you remember it and makes you go, wow, pop used to sound so much better than it does today. Its the nostalgia factor. I can't wait to see the expanded remastered edition of nsync releases. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-KmOd3i7s

I really don't worry what is commercially more viable. I'm not in love with that Sheer track, but it is a sign that young pop-oriented people are getting their chops together and have deeper interests. Jazz Bansuri on a pop song.
And get thee to Berklee and polish the thing.

regards the drake, maybe hes an exception, but like jayz as much as they have made from being artists, the majority of their income comes from being shrewd business men, same with p diddy. its a little unfair to bring outside business interests in, no one said kurt "massive heroin habit" cobain had any money sense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2oaBodeF6c

musicianship and a rap
who knew

well... your straw man only knows as much as you do, 'tele'.

Return to “Music Theory”