Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
User avatar
telecode
KVRian
553 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm

IncarnateX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:25 pm
telecode wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:55 am
Modernity defined as in who are the current artists that the young generation of music consumers are currently listening to. But, hey, if you find a way to turn then into King Crimson or Tibetian world music fans -- more power to you. :tu:
And you would know that because you have interviewed all young music consumers in the world, made your statistics and a report that identifies your “modernists” as their main modern idols?

Are you sure young kids on acid even know the word “modernity”?
well, i think its pretty obvious i didn't interview every single person in the world.

i have a great interest in how other people discover new music. i am especially interested in how younger generations of music fans discover their new music. i ask them why they like the artists. how did they hear about them. where did they hear about them and so on. pretty obvious stuff. the only thing you could possibly accuse me of is, my obersevations are skewed because on that they are based on my geographic region, the social place in the society i live in, the fact that i am only exposed to people who are roughly in the same income level and education level as me and so on. and thats a fair statement and i would not argue with it. its pretty improbable you would ever find a source that gives you a objective overview of what music fans all over the world are listening to.

btw .. what gives you the authority to assume young kids are on acid and don't have the vocabulary to understand the world modern or modernity? since when? last time i checked, a college education is more prevalent with current younger generations of people than the generations past, where high school drop out was the norm. in the current modern world, young people starting out in life can't even get an entry level job without a 4 year college degree. so don't generalize and put down young people because you dont understand them.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18272 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Stamped Records wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 pm
So, am I to gather that modes are melodic devices more than harmonic? Would it be fair to say, that had I a good ear for music, I could just choose any note to be my tonic, and fart around til my heart is content?
First sentence: yes. Second sentence, I'm unsure what you're after with that.
Modal music sits on *a* tonic, primarily.

ICM, there is going to be one in a concert. If it's a singer's recital, it's 'their' Sa (like western Do, 1), their range, like their 'key'. Instrumental music somewhere in the vicinity of D typically. So in the Han Beyli, there are changes but it's always close to the tonic, and large portions of the piece stay there. It's not restless wandering. The idea is to exploit the character, the identity, the mood of a given mode.

User avatar
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3802 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 am

telecode wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm
well, i think its pretty obvious i didn't interview every single person in the world.

No shit. Yet you think that all this below gives you equal authority to decide and teach us?
i have a great interest in how other people discover new music. i am especially interested in how younger generations of music fans discover their new music. i ask them why they like the artists. how did they hear about them. where did they hear about them and so on.
Compared to the scope of people you want to represent, these you would have time to ask during whole lifetime would be a drop in the ocean. Anecdotal evidence and storytelling will not do. Neither will plastering "I", "my", and "me" references all over your "arguments". You just appeal to your own deluded authority. No cigar as far as arguments go.
the only thing you could possibly accuse me of is, my obersevations are skewed because on that they are based on my geographic region, the social place in the society i live in,the fact that i am only exposed to people who are roughly in the same income level and education level as me and so on. and thats a fair statement and i would not argue with it.
Again, your selective and biased experiences are worth nothing, du you really think your particular non systemized "observations", would even represent a "geographic region"? Because you think you are particularly exposed compared to others who would report other favored "modernists" than anal-fixed rappers?
its pretty improbable you would ever find a source that gives you a objective overview of what music fans all over the world are listening to.
….but yours? For that is how you are acting Mr. Fact-man :wink:
btw .. what gives you the authority to assume young kids are on acid and don't have the vocabulary to understand the world modern or modernity?
The darkness of my rectum, just like your authority is openly pulled out of your own.

last time i checked, a college education is blah blah blah….
Oh. You can convince of that "Hello, darkness my old friend...…"

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
553 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 am

IncarnateX wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 am
No shit. Yet you think that all this below gives you equal authority to decide and teach us?
Teaching you what exactly. I am just one persons opinion on a forum on the Internet. The only things you will ever learn in this life are things you actually get up and put an effort to actually do on your own. But its great you are obsessed with your rectum. So were Mozart and his mother. Who knows, maybe you will be famous like them one day.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

User avatar
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3802 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:06 am

telecode wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 am
Teaching you what exactly.
Oh, you know, things like modernity in music and which ass shakers who define it + a lot of other stuff in the same line.Things no better argued than this:
The only things you will ever learn in this life are things you actually get up and put an effort to actually do on your own.
Statements no better than "it is so because i say so and I know I am right because I am an authority, so take my word for it".

Yeah. I think we are finished, because what comes next and next and next seem pretty determined to me with no hope of escape. You simply do not know how to make a case a argue for it.

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
553 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:18 am

IncarnateX wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:06 am
telecode wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 am
Teaching you what exactly.
Oh, you know, things like modernity in music and which ass shakers who define it + a lot of other stuff in the same line.Things no better argued than this:
The only things you will ever learn in this life are things you actually get up and put an effort to actually do on your own.
Statements no better than "it is so because i say so and I know I am right because I am an authority, so take my word for it".

Yeah. I think we are finished, because what comes next and next and next seem pretty determined to me with no hope of escape. You simply do not know how to make a case a argue for it.
No one is teaching you modernity in music. Its something that can't even be taught. It's an open discussion on what is and sounds modern. Take a pill and chill .. you gonna get a heart attack one day.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

User avatar
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3802 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:54 am

telecode wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:18 am
Its something that can't even be taught.
Then stop teaching, simple as that. Look at your own statements in this regard. Start by those I already quoted and ask yourself whether they are delivered as facts or transparent hypotheses :wink: In the first case, it refers to what I mean by "teaching".

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
553 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:09 am

IncarnateX wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:54 am
telecode wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:18 am
Its something that can't even be taught.
Then stop teaching, simple as that. Look at your own statements in this regard. Start by those I already quoted and ask yourself whether they are delivered as facts or transparent hypotheses :wink: In the first case, it refers to what I mean by "teaching".
No one is teaching you didley. There are no facts. There is just your own personal skewed non-objective highly-subjective and highly-biased view and opinion on things.

Now I remember you. You're that producahs thead guy? Yeah, that was some pretty condescending stuff towards a younger generation. Good thing that thread got shut down. You know, you and the javinci guy should start your own little "grumpy old men" band.

you can't be taught to be cool. you just born that way. you either are or you arent.

my parting gift to you old grumpy jazzy dudes.. nick cave and iggy. :tu: :love:

Image
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

User avatar
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3802 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:08 am

Oh: Ad hominems when ad bullshit fails. Sure that makes you look better. Well, this is a music theory forum, my thread was in “Everything else”, but what you have said based on music theory or knowledge about music in this thread equal zero. Think it is about time, you find a better outlet for your ex nihilo “opinions”. You know, just in respect for the actual disciplines constituting what music theory is and not least what an argument is in the first place technically speaking, but then again, does not seem that you have any idea what I am talking about in this respect.

User avatar
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3802 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:13 am

telecode wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:09 am
No one is teaching you didley.

No? But why does the fact machine run then?
There are no facts. There is just your own personal skewed non-objective highly-subjective and highly-biased view and opinion on things.

So it’s a fact that there are no facts? Think you should speak for yourself here, that would make sense. You have not provided any fact but just BS presented as such :wink:

Protocol_b
KVRist
235 posts since 11 Nov, 2012

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:17 am

vurt wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:25 am
bendy too?
with real gripping hands?
Damn you! I'm NOT a doll, I'm an ACTION FIGURE.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44394 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:34 am

i always preferred ds to phm, you cant beat a line like "hey pig, piggy piggy pig pig"
classic!

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44394 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:35 am

Protocol_b wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:17 am
vurt wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:25 am
bendy too?
with real gripping hands?
Damn you! I'm NOT a doll, I'm an ACTION FIGURE.
how many points of articulation?

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18272 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:37 am

Stamped Records wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 pm
I could just choose any note to be my tonic, and fart around til my heart is content?
For example, I tend to D on a guitar, as I can drop the low string to D and have a proper drone to refer to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxI3t67cspw

Is like what I was doing then, as a teen. It's pure Mixolydian mode. You can noodle away and no worries.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18272 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:43 am

i stated a fact
pressed on there being no fact in evidence
he wrote:There are no facts.
Wasn't a concern except to point a finger to deflect.

This is the very picture of 'full of shit'.

You have yet to say one thing worth reading here. Nothing about melody or how there is or isn't a difference from chord tones, nothing. I said I thought there was shit melody in the world and you sought to make that about a lack in me.
I guarantee my thinking on musical is vastly wider, deeper and broader than yours can_ever_become. Because you're the perfect Dunning-Kruger Effect case. You don't appear to know anything, because you think you don't need to.

You've been aggressively stupid here, at any rate. Shut up. The look is just juvenile. You aren't impressing anyone. No one cares about your unnecessary thread following the Producahz (sp? lol) thread, with your fatuous "modernity of the modern producer" nonsense. You look like a total incurious dipshit who is not a learning sort of person. People may know things and have things to say where you don't but somehow you think to compete, unable to argue with any tools or strategy beyond the most obvious dumbass troll's ad homs, straw man, deflect and project garbage all you people who find the internet as a platform amplifing their pointless voice makes it necessary to spew.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Music Theory”