VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
vurt
addled muppet weed
41723 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:25 am

MorpherX wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:22 am
It's of course a callange for a developer to program something new,
i get what youre saying, adding stuff for the sake of adding it.

but urs has kinda fallen in love with this way of working in his hardware modular and sees benefits for it, so its not just adding it for the sake of adding it.

imo.

pdxindy
KVRAF
14955 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Hive 2 is coming!

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:19 am

MorpherX wrote:
In my view this new Func Mods are completely overcomplicated for Hive's concept and are a total flop.
That is quite an all encompassing conclusion to draw having never even tried it once or seen it being used in any way.

robbmonn
KVRist
88 posts since 1 Jul, 2018

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:20 am

Hey man, it's Urs's synth. I just get to play it. He's been right time and time again for a very long time. I can't wait.

Urs
u-he
23364 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 am

MorpherX wrote:
In my view this new Func Mods are completely overcomplicated for Hive's concept and are a total flop.
These are the new LFOs you wanted - we talked about this before. They are not complicated at all. Three knobs: Attack, Decay, Slope. How much more simple does it go?

There'll be module presets. You choose "Slow Triangle LFO", "Fast Triangle LFO", "Saw LFO", "Ramp LFO", "Long Decay Envelope", "Short Decay Envelope" and that is all you need to do, then adjust Decay or what to taste.

PieBerger
KVRist
190 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Personally I'm no fan of MSEGs; I find checking my e-mails more inspiring then clicking and dragging points around in a vein attempt to find something interesting. I didn't like/use them in Omnisphere, Serum, Tantra and even Zebra. I'm glad Urs decided to go for something a little bit different, that invites a more playful, hands on and happy accidents approach, especially combined with a scope, so that interesting results can be interrogated. Compared to something like Make Noise Maths, this seems very simple and approachable in a good way, I mean my brain doesn't hurt just looking at the interface. With module presets those who have no inclination to experiment, get the extra mod sources that have been long requested and the more adventurous types have access to a novel way, at least where VAs are concerned, of coming up with all manner of interesting shapes, particularly with cross modulation of the sources. Plus the inclusion of less commonly implemented modulation sources, Hive offers users something that other VAs don't, which is always beneficial in a crowded market place.
Always Read the Manual!

Hanz Meyzer
KVRian
1030 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:41 pm

What was the pricing for Hive 2 again?

PieBerger
KVRist
190 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Hanz Meyzer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:41 pm
What was the pricing for Hive 2 again?
20e. In one of the many other u-he threads I think Urs said they would try to price upgrades like v2 is 20e, v3 is 30e etc.
Always Read the Manual!

Rivanni
KVRist
49 posts since 4 Feb, 2017

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:14 am

wilx wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 am
The lighter grey background looks much better for the eyes - I would go even further. Some of NI's new stuff like Massive X has a nice, light background which is great for contrast and legibility.
Great for eyestrain too.

knowix
KVRist
244 posts since 12 Nov, 2011

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:32 am

Yeah, Massive X is so pretty, but probably unusably bright. Who's betting there are alternative dark skins preloaded that don't have as much wow factor.

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2154 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:29 am

robbmonn wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:20 am
Hey man, it's Urs's synth. I just get to play it. He's been right time and time again for a very long time. I can't wait.
I feel the same. I have 100 ideas and suggestions - but at the end of the day Urs and his team have proven themselves over and over again that they have a good sense of synth design. Last time I created a synth was way back when in SynthEdit - it looked awful and sounded incredibly bland.

As a guy who makes sounds for a living, the thing that always impresses me about the u-he synths is the balance between functions and usability. I don't know how many times I've been making a sound in Diva or Repro, and been grinding my teeth that there isn't one more envelope, LFO, modulator slot, destination or somethingsomething. But in every single case I find a creative workaround that not only solves my problem, but actually improves the sound.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
DISTORTED EVOLUTION 2 HORROR for OMNISPHERE 2
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm

Urs
u-he
23364 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:37 am

At least Repro will get a nifty trick in the next update. Once we add the new ModMatrix modifiers we introduced in Hive 1.2, there'll be a trick which we're introducing in Hive 2.0. When using Constant or Velocity with slew limiting, the modulation is going to fade in. That's a funky hidden envelope right there!

(and also, using thge ModMatrix' coming up Sample & Hold feature with Random will yield a new Random value with each sample... add slew limiting and quantisation to taste... yields some free random LFOs without adding any further module to Hive/Repro)

spunkmuffin
KVRian
813 posts since 5 Sep, 2014 from Heaven

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:07 am

Please get Howie to make a patch using Sample & Hold + Random called 'Randomista'. 8)
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2154 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 am

Urs wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:37 am
At least Repro will get a nifty trick in the next update. Once we add the new ModMatrix modifiers we introduced in Hive 1.2, there'll be a trick which we're introducing in Hive 2.0. When using Constant or Velocity with slew limiting, the modulation is going to fade in. That's a funky hidden envelope right there!

(and also, using thge ModMatrix' coming up Sample & Hold feature with Random will yield a new Random value with each sample... add slew limiting and quantisation to taste... yields some free random LFOs without adding any further module to Hive/Repro)
This is why I love your synths. A well designed synth doesn't need to have five oscillators, fourteen filters and a three-page mod matrix. :clap:

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
DISTORTED EVOLUTION 2 HORROR for OMNISPHERE 2
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm

Ranoka
KVRist
202 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from The UK

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:37 am

Any chance for some quick preview audio or video clips to see/hear the new features in action? :hyper:

pdxindy
KVRAF
14955 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 am

Ranoka wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:37 am
Any chance for some quick preview audio or video clips to see/hear the new features in action? :hyper:
No no no... we don't want them spending their time on that... put it towards the synth! :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”