Studio One 4 v Reaper Comparison

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have to say Logical Editor, Filter and Even List are priceless in Studio One X
from https://recording.de/threads/free-exten ... -x.210391/

definitely getting closer to Cubase :tu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-L1bvVPmc8
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Well it's all moot if it doesn't work at all in the latest version of S1 :)
simmo75 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:48 am Studio One 4 doesn't support Komplete Kontrol Mk2.
Does anyone know if they intent to support this?
That's because AFAIK S1 doesn't support OSC, which is (AFAIK) required for tight integration with S-series mk2 keyboards the same way it was done with Maschine, Logic, Live.

Yet another bulled in the list of things S1 is behind compared to a number of other DAWs :)

^^^ absence of note level MIDI channelize also quite strange too me in S1
How can I set different MIDI notes in a clip to different MIDI channels?

Studio One doesn't channelize MIDI data at the clip or event level, only at the track level. With that in mind, you cannot have data on the same track operating on different MIDI channels as may be the preference in some cases where (for example) articulations are perhaps driven by MIDI channel, not by pitch based key-switching.
- https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... e-MIDI-FAQ

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:51 am
kmonkey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:23 amMIDI editing was weird when compared to Cubase or FL Studio.
By tweaking mouse modifiers you can get majority of MIDI editing behaviors from FL Studio in Reaper... Or you can have a play with them and figure out your own even better layout of mouse modifiers for even better productivity/workflow.
That above is precisely what i wanted to say about Reaper.

You see you need internet geek (no pun intended) or some good soul to tell you what's possible. It's not obvious like in other apps. It's not bad "per se" but it's expected that i dig online forums for which i don't have time sometimes (hope you will understand.) But thanks anyway. Cheers

xbitz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:05 am ^^^ absence of note level MIDI channelize also quite strange too me in S1
How can I set different MIDI notes in a clip to different MIDI channels?

Studio One doesn't channelize MIDI data at the clip or event level, only at the track level. With that in mind, you cannot have data on the same track operating on different MIDI channels as may be the preference in some cases where (for example) articulations are perhaps driven by MIDI channel, not by pitch based key-switching.
- https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... e-MIDI-FAQ
Yeah, that's totally unfathomable...

xbitz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am I have to say Logical Editor, Filter and Even List are priceless in Studio One X
from https://recording.de/threads/free-exten ... -x.210391/

definitely getting closer to Cubase :tu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-L1bvVPmc8
Too bad no download available.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:31 am It's a weird decision they've made. I've had to stop using it since I got my S88 Mk2. I miss Studio One
I don't have one of these keyboards, but it's worth checking out this thread and seeing if any of these methods will work for you... There is also the method of adding another keyboard device to get the keyboard to work if you run into that issue where it doesn't work.

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=13429

A quote from a user on the forum..
Just moved over to a new computer and having weird issues. Keyboard is set up properly, shows NKS info in Browser, it is synced with Studio One, BUT the keyboard doesn't play anything? I am baffled, anyone else know what may be up? Other programs recognize it, so this is a studio one thing. I disconnected it, restarted everything, reconnected it in preferences.... So frustrated, hopefully someone can nail this one!

*** SOLVED -- if anyone ends up here, note that the instructions telling you to choose DAW -1 as your input / output were not correct for my computer for some reason. I used MK2 Port 1 for in and out and now I am getting signals from the actual keyboard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDD1aik9mIw
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

The video shows mk1 keyboard which supports MCU. mk2 keyboard doesn't support MCU (as of yet) and as such most of what it can/should do is not available to hosts which don't talk OSC (i.e. the transport buttons and deep host integration), of which S1 is one.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:22 am Well it's all moot if it doesn't work at all in the latest version of S1 :)
Well the Studio X Addon's 'Logical Editor' does after my quick test of it with the latest version of Studio One..so that something ;-).

^ Previous example video unnecessary..as Studio One X wasn't showing all functions due to incomplete installation. This was rectified as mentioned below.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

then one more time :roll: google>
"Studio One X v.2.7.2 package"
"Studio One X no longer works as of 4.1.3?"

needs appr. 10 clicks and voilá gonna work :wink: (don't want to promote warez like sites here ... )

xbitz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:15 pm needs appr. 10 clicks and voilá gonna work :wink: (don't want to promote warez like sites here ... )
Yup, I figured it out.. there was just one more step, involving one file. Studio One X is now fully functional in the latest version of Studio One, as you've shown above. :-)

I can't be doing with all these geeky S1 workarounds, I think I'll stick with Reaper :P

Reaper handles VST midi fx very easily on the Track FX Window. You can add VST midi fx and build a chain before the VSTi and avoid making a new track. I find this method very convneent way to add VST midi fx such as Nora and Blue Arp. Well you can still do it by adding a new track if you will need some automation.

Would love to see a Bidule like modular environment in the Reaper Track FX Window as an option to accommodate weird plugin routing.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:07 am Reaper handles VST midi fx very easily on the Track FX Window. You can add VST midi fx and build a chain before the VSTi and avoid making a new track. I find this method very convneent way to add VST midi fx such as Nora and Blue Arp. Well you can still do it by adding a new track if you will need some automation.

Would love to see a Bidule like modular environment in the Reaper Track FX Window as an option to accommodate weird plugin routing.
StudioOne has this multiinstrument thingy - but seems to target built in midi fx in StudioOne, as I recall. But have not dived into details of this yet - it might be there.

Or you can make yourself independent of daw and get BluecatAudio Patchwork and incorporate all kinds of vst midi fx together with instruments routed in various ways - and done. One preset does it all - over and over.

I do for horn sections as one example - getting trumpet+trombone as chord for right hand and do one or two notes baryton sax with left hand.

Other things like making arp on one synth and not the other inside Patchwork etc - same midi event stream.

Very good investment as I see it.

And you can pick daw for other reasons your prefer.

^
Had forgotten about Multi-Instruments in S1.
VST midi fx are actually VSTi midi fx so I suspect that the Multi-Instrument will host VST midi fx.

For odd routing Bidule will work. I know nothing about BluecatAudio Patchwork but as you this will do the same.

OK so Reaper and S1 are a tie on this one, but for me Reaper does it a tiny bit better.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”