Studio One 4 v Reaper Comparison

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xbitz wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:14 pm funfact ReaStream is working
:) DDMF Metaplugin and NUGEN SigMod can also do that trick.

Anyways, I consider it to be a bug in S1. I never noticed that the same problem occurs with Reaktor - that's even more relevant than with MUX.

The actual workflow in Studio One gets even easier if you're prepared to throw a bit of money at it...For instance, you can pick up dedicated backlit keyboards for it. Back in 2015 'Editor Keys' were giving away their first series of non-backlit keyboards ( the silver series with numerical keypad inc) for around £25. You can find the more recent non backlit ones on ebay for about a 3rd of the price they cost new for a about the same. They do offers on black friday, ect so you can get a discount of maybe 10 - 20%, but the backlit ones like the one below are around £100 inc vat normally. They don't do keyboards for Reaper..., I've not looked at other companies that provide equivalent peripherals like this specifically for it yet, but I've not encountered any from past product searches as of past memory. The non-back lit one I have has proven really helpful, the backlit one would be great to have though, as I typically compose at night.

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

^^^

Where can Studio One X be downloaded?

is there a link for the S1 QWERTY keyboard?

beatmangler443 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:33 am Studio One 4 no comparison. If you have an older computer Reaper might be the better choice. Presonus has hardware integration (atom, faderport, interfaces), melodyne (better integration than Reaper), better browser, stock sounds, chord track, scratch pad, and the list goes on.
It uses your CPU and crashes better, too. :tu:

But don't get me too wrong. Studio One's main strength is great workflow and looks, IMHO. And that matters A LOT. If only they made it more CPU efficient and less prone to crashes, it would be an exceptionally great DAW. I'd go for it, too. :wink: Especially because I love and use Faderport.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 pm ^^^

Where can Studio One X be downloaded?

is there a link for the S1 QWERTY keyboard?
There is a cheaper non-backlit for about £70, but if you're going to spend as much as that, then you would be better getting the backlit one as the link directs you to (yeah, I hate that close tier pricing) https://www.editorskeys.com/products/pr ... 1746479690

As for StudioOneX, I think I had the last publicly made version on my system from when the forum for it was active...but I'm not going say any more...as XBitz has provided the info you need..
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Faderport.
https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort

$200 at Sam Ash.
What is the lowest price on sale?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:06 pm Faderport.
https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort

$200 at Sam Ash.
What is the lowest price on sale?
I don't know.. I'm not google :lol:

DuX wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 pm
beatmangler443 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:33 am Studio One 4 no comparison. If you have an older computer Reaper might be the better choice. Presonus has hardware integration (atom, faderport, interfaces), melodyne (better integration than Reaper), better browser, stock sounds, chord track, scratch pad, and the list goes on.

But don't get me too wrong. Studio One's main strength is great workflow and looks, IMHO. And that matters A LOT. If only they made it more CPU efficient and less prone to crashes, it would be an exceptionally great DAW. I'd go for it, too. :wink: Especially because I love and use Faderport.
Either that or your computer is not up to par and you did not optimize it for music production (windows).

If Studio One was unstable and crashed a lot for me, everyone and their dog would know about it and I'd have moved onto something else. Typically it's just badly written / buggy plugins that cause Studio One to crash to desktop. I vet any new one's I add, that are usually free... and I don't use those which require iloks because that's always asking for problems. Other than bad plugins, general maintenance and freeing up disk space is of real benefit to the health of your system as much as it's always been.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:44 am
xbitz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:05 am ^^^ absence of note level MIDI channelize also quite strange too me in S1
How can I set different MIDI notes in a clip to different MIDI channels?

Studio One doesn't channelize MIDI data at the clip or event level, only at the track level. With that in mind, you cannot have data on the same track operating on different MIDI channels as may be the preference in some cases where (for example) articulations are perhaps driven by MIDI channel, not by pitch based key-switching.
- https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... e-MIDI-FAQ
Yeah, that's totally unfathomable...
Yes. but...

You can right-click on a MIDI clip and select "Explode Pitches to Tracks". So then you can channelize the MIDI data using multiple tracks per pitch. This is most effective for splitting a drum kit apart, as the kit pieces are usually isolated to specific MIDI notes.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

swindus wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:43 am The Studio One ARA implementation is already ARA2.
Did ARA2 and Melodyne 4.2.1 or newer in Studio One bring anything new or any enhancements. Was anything gained by S1 using ARA2 over ARA1?

zzz00m wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:31 am
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:44 am
xbitz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:05 am ^^^ absence of note level MIDI channelize also quite strange too me in S1
How can I set different MIDI notes in a clip to different MIDI channels?

Studio One doesn't channelize MIDI data at the clip or event level, only at the track level. With that in mind, you cannot have data on the same track operating on different MIDI channels as may be the preference in some cases where (for example) articulations are perhaps driven by MIDI channel, not by pitch based key-switching.
- https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... e-MIDI-FAQ
Yeah, that's totally unfathomable...
Yes. but...

You can right-click on a MIDI clip and select "Explode Pitches to Tracks". So then you can channelize the MIDI data using multiple tracks per pitch. This is most effective for splitting a drum kit apart, as the kit pieces are usually isolated to specific MIDI notes.
Yes, but... I don't want to explode stuff to tracks just to be able to work with MIDI channels. :) Reaper does it all within one item, and it's easy to filter through channels or see multiple at a time. It's on another level compared to S1 in that regard.

S1 is designed to start, create and finish songs with an easy to use UI and all the required features.

Reaper is a tweakers paradise, made to configure, change and rearrange your setup without limits.

Ask yourself, are you taking existing projects and trying to mix them in your technically perfect calibrated environment?

Or are you making music from scratch and need a comfortable place that has everything you need?

For me, music comes from the heart and soul not the brain.

beatmangler443 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:13 pm
DuX wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Either that or your computer is not up to par and you did not optimize it for music production (windows).
Good one. I've been maintaining audio and video editing computers for almost 20 years. Cheers! :hihi:

But I entirely agree with what rewrite history just above this post said. Reaper can sometimes make your brain swell when all you're trying to do is music without being distracted by confusing menus. If you invest some time into making track and other presets, it can get instantly really fast to work with it, though. Faster than with any other DAW I know.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

rewrite history wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:54 pm S1 is designed to start, create and finish songs with an easy to use UI and all the required features.

Reaper is a tweakers paradise, made to configure, change and rearrange your setup without limits.

Ask yourself, are you taking existing projects and trying to mix them in your technically perfect calibrated environment?

Or are you making music from scratch and need a comfortable place that has everything you need?

For me, music comes from the heart and soul not the brain.
I like to launch my DAW and start making music ASAP. Never needed to change menu items or anything like that. As I would turn on a hardware synth and start making a sound. I do not need to change the place of a filter knob. I just get used to where it is. For me never ending customization is stolen time.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”