Reason 10.3 Beta Testers

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got the email from propellerhead for their public beta testing 3-15.Has any started using the beta ?

Well they shouldn't post about it here if they are, also if this release is about VST integration then because of the way PH do the beta testing with the logging version feature, a real assessment on performance wouldn't be valid anyhow.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/rea ... ow-in-beta
I'm happy to finally announce that the beta testing of Reason 10.3 is here! As you might know, this upcoming free update for Reason 10 is all about improving Reason’s VST plugin performance. And as a nice bonus, it improves performance if you're not using VSTs too! Read on for the details...

When VST support was first added in Reason 9.5, we received a lot of great feedback: "finally, VSTs in Reason". However, after a while we also started getting feedback about "poor and erratic" performance when using some of your favorite VST plugins. That's when we started investigating.

We eventually came to the conclusion that to fix the problem, we had to essentially rewrite big parts of Reason's audio rendering code. As many of you know by now, that took some time. But now we have a version to share with you and I think you're really going to like what you see!

In Reason 10.3, VST plugins work as expected and Reason’s VST performance is on par with other DAWs on the market. How much of an improvement you'll get varies depending on which plugins you use and your set-up, but it's been improvements across the board. During alpha testing we've tested many of the most popular plugins on the market and we've seen improvements range from a measly 5% to a staggering 260%, and that's when using a buffer size of 512.

Why do I mention the buffer size? Well, performance testing is very complex with many moving parts so it's important to test properly. When comparing things, we've tested identical situations on the same machines with the same settings where we can turn our changes off and on. We've set up "average" song documents as well as tested number of instances of many different plugins.

What we're defining as "bad performance" is when you start hearing audible artifacts, like clicking and popping, or experience issues that keep you from making music. In other words, we're not looking at the CPU meter in the OS, but rather we're testing where you'd have issues in a real-life music making scenario.

With that in mind, we found that Reason 10.3 improves performance even when not using VSTs too! It will differ a bit depending on your setup, but we've seen up to a 30% improvement. In other words, you'll be able to build your rack even higher and wider now without worrying too much. I hope you're as excited about that as I am!

We are planning to release Reason 10.3 in April as a free auto-update to Reason 10. Until then we need your help putting the beta through its paces, especially if you have encountered VST-related problems in the past. To join the beta testing, sign up now!
TLDR
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Um PUBLIC beta...

So posting about it here is awesome. I know in times past with version changes the beta could feel bogged down with the bug reporting stuff involved, but this version may be different given what they are looking to accomplish.

Any work being done on the tiny bitmaps of the rack gear? (Preferably without flattening everything and making it into an ugly “minimalist” pile of post-iOS7 app garbage)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Dunno, but I hear a song coming.......

"I want, I want, I want my 10.3"

:D

reggie1979 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:17 am Dunno, but I hear a song coming.......

"I want, I want, I want my 10.3"

:D
"...Malström for nothing and bugs fixed for free..."
Sweet child in time...

:lol:

If I was allowed to have a wishlist, there are a couple of things I'd be happy to see.

-Better audio editing. I'll miss that about Studio One where the x-fades and such simply work. You can do it in Reason, but it's kinda clunky.

-An update to Kong. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't even have loop/one shot options which is a shame. Another thing I'll miss about impact xt but I'll live. This is just a wish list.

-Better combinator inclusions. Frequently I want FX to be included or maybe a drum setup. You CAN simply have this combo in another "song" and then have both open and copy paste, but it's 2019. Come on man!

Then maybe a way to show plugs ala the SSL strip/sends/etc. And a way to have them globally on/off.

Nothing overly picky, just nice things to help out :)

woodsdenis wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:28 am Well they shouldn't post about it here if they are, also if this release is about VST integration then because of the way PH do the beta testing with the logging version feature, a real assessment on performance wouldn't be valid anyhow.
thejonsolo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:01 am Um PUBLIC beta...

So posting about it here is awesome. I know in times past with version changes the beta could feel bogged down with the bug reporting stuff involved, but this version may be different given what they are looking to accomplish.
If any of you actually bothered to read the beta announcement you'd know that it's a "logging version" which means it tracks & sends user stats, errors, etc. and therefore - as you point out - is much slower than regular version. HOWEVER, there's a switch to compare VST performance pre- and post fix, so the testers can easily assess if the fix's working and to what extent does it improve performance.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I did read that which is why I said that this version "may be different given what they are looking to accomplish".

This beta will not be for me as I am in the middle of some projects (granted, using only Cubase) and don't want any beta stuff on my main machine. Even my secondary machine is in load with my project. So I will be checking here to see how others are finding the beta to be.

is it able to loading VSTs in ReWire device/slave mode ?
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Afaik no host can do that as it’s a limitation of rewire.
xbitz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:50 pm is it able to loading VSTs in ReWire device/slave mode ?

topaz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:08 pm Afaik no host can do that as it’s a limitation of rewire.
xbitz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:50 pm is it able to loading VSTs in ReWire device/slave mode ?
It's actually not a rewire limitation; the long defunct Project5 could load VSTs while being used as a rewire slave but, for some reason, most other hosts haven't done this.

Have no clue for sure, but I think many think of rewire as an outdated artifact of a by-gone time.

I'd like to see better rewire integration personally.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”