What one bit of Music Theory was really helpful that caused your songwriting to improve ?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ooh horny!

hit quote rather than edit AGAIN :dog:
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fmr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:12 pm And you don't have to "consciously thinking in terms of I - IV - V etc.". That's beginner's level, at best.
yup. beginner level. you get no argument there from me. i don't make fancy jazz stuff and have no aspirations to. i am happy to keep listening to herbie hancock records and let him do it better. the farthest i need to go it some grasp of augmented chords.

I use this thing called SoundPrism in my mobile setup. its really cool app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lne2btgUf0E
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:01 pm FWIW -- some of the tools actually generate very interesting ideas and results because you approach the music making differently. you aren't navigating the way you have been accustomed to traditionally (by consciously thinking in terms of I - IV - V e.t.c.) .. you are navigating based on how the tool is design to function .. so you get some very out of the box results which sometimes sound really wild and interesting.
For what it's worth? Nada. You're pretending people with no experience would be getting results through >>> some bullshit.
You are not talking about music, you're just talking.

Knowing connections and having a coherent thought process and modes of operation is an advantage in motility, it doesn't result in a hindrance. EVERYONE with training has internalized basic root movements, FFS.

Navigating through what design? You have to describe this design for that sentence to mean anything. If it's to be of utility, it's designed to work conventionally. What is your actual thought? People would benefit by a mistaken design as to progression of triads. This is not a path to novelty having ideas, it's a path away from authentic thought and having real agency.

Learn about a field before going off half-cocked and pretending you have something. This is totally inchoate.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:00 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:01 pm FWIW -- some of the tools actually generate very interesting ideas and results because you approach the music making differently. you aren't navigating the way you have been accustomed to traditionally (by consciously thinking in terms of I - IV - V e.t.c.) .. you are navigating based on how the tool is design to function .. so you get some very out of the box results which sometimes sound really wild and interesting.
For what it's worth? Nada. You're pretending people with no experience would be getting results through >>> some bullshit using words.

Knowing connections and having a coherent thought process and modes of operation is an advantage in motility, it doesn't result in a hindrance. EVERYONE with training has internalized basic root movements, FFS.

Navigating out of what design? You have to describe this design for that sentence to mean anything. If it's to be of utility, it's designed to work conventionally. What is your actual thought? People would benefit by a mistaken design as to progression of triads. This is not a path to novelty, it's a path away from thought and having real agency.

Learn about a field before going off half-cocked and pretending you have something. This is totally inchoate.
yo!! jancivil!! waazz up bro!! Did you watch that Nicky Minaj fart video posted yesterday? Is was so funny!!

sorry, no offence, but i am not gonna participate in another lets-detail-this-thread-flame-war again. lets just all be cool bro..

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

not a bro...

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:09 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:00 pm
For what it's worth? Nada. You're pretending people with no experience would be getting results through >>> some bullshit using words.

Navigating out of what design? You have to describe this design for that sentence to mean anything. If it's to be of utility, it's designed to work conventionally. What is your actual thought? People would benefit by a mistaken design as to progression of triads. This is not a path to novelty, it's a path away from thought and having real agency.

yo!! jancivil!! waazz up bro!! Did you watch that Nicky Minaj fart video posted yesterday? Is was so funny!!

sorry, no offence, but i am not gonna participate in another lets-detail-this-thread-flame-war again. lets just all be cool bro..
It's a she.

A helper tool generating your ideas for you. One can't simply experiment. No, you have a mistaken impression that the person who knows from, eg., chord progression is in a box. You aren't going to take any advice, such as Fernando's path to more and more modern ways of dealing with harmony. The impression you create with that is that of fear of knowledge.

And the look is like you know how to say 'I IV V' at best but you're lecturing the room on possibilities. No, the reality is people that know more than the beginner relying on this kind of thing KNOW MORE.

edited to repair poor syntax
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:09 pm sorry, no offence, but i am not gonna participate in another lets-detail-this-thread-flame-war again. lets just all be cool bro..
I'm making a point against your statements. I just don't like bullshit at all. Some other person who also doesn't know might be persuaded to continue on thinking chord helper tools are more than they are. How did 'What one bit of Music Theory was really helpful that caused...' get to be about that shit anyway?
Portraying my reply as flaming is more bullshit. I think what I think about that 'idea'.
Feel free to f**k off, then, if all you can do is flame in response.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:16 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:09 pm
I'm making a point against your statements.
Feel free to f**k off, then,
jancivil. broette!! you really gotta learn to chill. anyways, here we go again.

the argument i am making in my post is, there are new tools out there that allow you to achieve results in a different way. you dont need to go to music school or keep going to a library and checking out music theory books to achieve results. you need the "right too for the job".

it's a bit like working on a car. you can actually replace the brakes on your car with just two wrenches. sure, it is great if you get a brake pad seperator and an expensive torque wrench that tells you exactly how much you are torquiing the pins -- but you can actually get away with just a wrench. (you might make a few mistakes along the way and learn from them, such as under tigheting or over tightening and breaking the pins -- but you will become wiser and you just need to buy another $10 set of pins instead of a > $100 torque wrench that you may wind up using once every few years)

anyways, back to music. yes, knowing music theory is always better and knowing orchestreation is always better, but if you just want to make poppy EDM .. you really don't need it. you aren't going to be orchestrating for a broadway show.

cubase have the chord pads

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... one_r.html

maschine also has something similar.

a bunch of other vendors have something similar. there are also other tools out there are do it even more differently. as per the earlier post.

they all achieve results.

and no, you are not going to be competing head on with big shot composers using those tools. but you will achieve the results -- in some cases, they are the results you need.

its a but like drum programming. it would be great to have omar hakim or manu cache in your basement doing their thing on your tune, but you just want a drum and bass -- you just need a drum sequencer.

Sure any more back and forth than that is a waste of time, everybody's.
This is a forum for music theory, not against it. :idea:

Jazz theory. There are no wrong notes.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Ah, this is where the chord helper tool thingy was kinda mentioned and someone wanted to talk
fmr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:41 pm
Stamped Records wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:41 am I learned what a chord progression actually is. Believe it or not, that took 10 years. If you are an electronic musician, and you think you know what a chord progression is without putting your hands on an instrument, you probably don't. Double clicking one note at a time is no comparison to auditioning chords and inversions with the hands. To some that's offensive, to some, it's just fact.
Did they stop making keyboards? :o

Usually synthesizers came with keyboards attached (at least back in the days).
Obviously he meant the kind of "electronic musician" clicking on something in a chord helper 'vst', which is apparently a thing.

Yeah, no, if you're a musician who's having ideas on the for-real side you most probably aren't going to have one of those installed. And at the least you don't need common currency harmonies "generated". The path to creativity is your own agency in the matter. A chord progression is in the realm of an idea, and it's an idea in a flow of thought.
That notion is non-sequitur.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:38 pm Ah, this is where the chord helper tool thingy was kinda mentioned and someone wanted to talk
fmr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:41 pm
Stamped Records wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:41 am I learned what a chord progression actually is. Believe it or not, that took 10 years. If you are an electronic musician, and you think you know what a chord progression is without putting your hands on an instrument, you probably don't. Double clicking one note at a time is no comparison to auditioning chords and inversions with the hands. To some that's offensive, to some, it's just fact.
Did they stop making keyboards? :o

Usually synthesizers came with keyboards attached (at least back in the days).
Obviously he meant the kind of "electronic musician" clicking on something in a chord helper 'vst', which is apparently a thing.
Oh boy. Here we go again.

Don't tell me, you have never heard of west coast electronic music or Suzanne Ciani (even though she has been around since the late 60s) and its all shit because it's not jazz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFD72PXOmxA

Return to “Music Theory”