Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Live's arrangement view is improving, and there's an online theme editor out in the wild so you can create your own themes and tone down any grid-line contrast, etc.

Crossfades are improved, automation value typing (!). I'd love right-clip access to the clip gain fader, and definitely comping - Live wasn't really designed for more traditional production work, but even a lot of electronic producers record vocals and more are combining live tracks, etc. I typically just duplicate audio tracks and record comps that way, but like a lot of things in Live, it's a workaround.

Would love the option to move track control to the left also - eye goes there for the browser, etc.

Slowly I turned, step by step... I tried the editor, it lets you lighten some stuff, but not the parts that bug me the most. At least the elements in the editor that I can find.

kunda311 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:16 am Complaining that Live is "limited" is quite the ignorant statement.

Live can do virtually anything other DAWs can. Sure, some things it doesn't do better...

What Live does do better, though, it does so much better that it's not even funny.

On the other hand, people complaining that Live is limited and it's only good for electronic music, helps the rest of us who love Live. That way we are fewer & we stand a chance of doing something truly unique that way.
welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...

anttimaatteri wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:34 pm
kunda311 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:16 am Complaining that Live is "limited" is quite the ignorant statement.

Live can do virtually anything other DAWs can. Sure, some things it doesn't do better...

What Live does do better, though, it does so much better that it's not even funny.

On the other hand, people complaining that Live is limited and it's only good for electronic music, helps the rest of us who love Live. That way we are fewer & we stand a chance of doing something truly unique that way.
welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...
ya dont know what ya talkin' bout mate

Kinh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:08 pm

welllll welll welll...
You don't seem to know what you're talking about either. "Nope, you're wrong but I don't know why you're wrong and don't ask me to explain it buttttt nope you're wrong"

welllll welll welll...
Oh wow My Guy, You just Tore apart his argument. RIP.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:25 pm

welllll welll welll...
I think some of the more interesting things you can do with WAV are in simpler and sampler. :D

spendthrift2 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 pm

welllll welll welll...
I think some of the more interesting things you can do with WAV are in simpler and sampler. :D
Exactly. You can manipulate the hell out of wavs in sampler. That's why they designed it.
Even when working in arrangement view I still use drum rack and sampler to manipulate samples. There's more flexibility, you can work in performance mode and you got access to envelopes which lets you do things which are impossible with waves on their own like modulate loop length and shit

Kinh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:35 am

welllll welll welll...
Exactly. You can manipulate the hell out of wavs in sampler. That's why they designed it.
Even when working in arrangement view I still use drum rack and sampler to manipulate samples. There's more flexibility, you can work in performance mode and you got access to envelopes which lets you do things which are impossible with waves on their own like modulate loop length and shit
Manipulating is the wrong word. Of course you can manipulate the hell out of files in simpler etc.He means ''editing'' audio files in session and arrangement view. Not sound design.

andypryce wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 am

welllll welll welll...
Manipulating is the wrong word. Of course you can manipulate the hell out of files in simpler etc.He means ''editing'' audio files in session and arrangement view. Not sound design.
mate you're just ramblin' on about bloody nuffin'

Kinh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:20 pm
I did not even make a comment about Live's abilities about audio editing.I just wrote what I understood from what he meant. Whatever I m out

andypryce wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:25 pm
Kinh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:20 pm
I did not even make a comment about Live's abilities about audio editing.I just wrote what I understood from what he meant. Whatever I m out
forget it m8.
u got me totally right.
and while i am working with ableton live for some good reasons, i had a lot more fun directly editing wave files in bitwig to fit them to my pleasures. its still even more fun editing wave files in renoise/redux than in ableton live.

just too many psychs around here...geez

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”