Stop buying music stuff? Are you ready? Am I?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nope. Zis is Deutschland! Ve don't do Häfter Ourz Hier! *

*Inspired by Siegfried from 'Get Smart.'

'
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

no wonder your economy is so..
oh no wait, that's us. hmmm.

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 pm no wonder your economy is so..
oh no wait, that's us. hmmm.
The shop to which I am referring, I had many issues with. Last time I was there, I was trying out a guitar in the common area of the guitar department, it was early in the morning, no other customers around. The manager asked me to stop, and go play in one of the little plexiglass enclosures, sitting on a stool. Now, my back was out, and it was not really possible for me to perch on a stool. The common area had a nice sofa. Being in pain, I kinda lost it and started yelling at the f**ker. I mean, this is after I'd bought like 10 guitars from them. I told them I'd never set foot in the place again, and I haven't. I try to support local businesses wherever possible, but these guys, in addition to being shady operators (whole other story), were just dicks, and I'd had enough of them. They apparently no longer work there. I also think they blacklisted me because I was a smart haggler. Another 'zis is Deutschland, ve don't haggle hier!' type of thing.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

:hihi:

where you playing stairway or smoke?

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:50 pm :hihi:

where you playing stairway or smoke?
I was playing 'Ripples' by Genesis on a 12 string acoustic. The manager and his minion were metal heads, and couldn't stand the sound of a 12 string acoustic competently played. Or, conversely, they just didn't like me for the aforementioned reason.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

So the update on the Jackson is. I've got it to a very playable in tune stage I can get about an hour of play before having to retune it. I've forsaken alternative string gauges and tunings. It's hell even tuning down a half step from standard. I don't intend to alter the Floyd Rose setup. I've longed for a loose feeling trem that can go up and down for too long

I play it every day for two hours before work and every night when I come home for an hour. So I'm getting good mileage out of it but feeling guilty about not playing my linnstrument as much.

Regarding purchase regret. Really it depends on where you shop brick and mortar and where you shop online. The only regret I have about not buying more brick and mortar is guilt for not doing it more. I've got a friend I've known since the 70's who operates a little store. It's mostly him and one other guy so he can have a day off. Much of his income is in repair work and @ $60 an hour with work piled up I try to let him do what he needs to do. Last year I bought an acoustic guitar from him... It was the same price I would have paid for online and it was setup and ready to go. Flawless. He does first neck adjustment for free, and adds in bonuses like one free lesson. If it weren't for the store sales he wouldn't stay open (and it's slow in the brick and mortar around here) I keep telling him to increase his price on repairs and shut down sales.

Guitar techs have great value. Something that you'll never get out of an online store. If you love a guitar but it needs fretwork without a tech you can be dead in the water. I have some basic tech skills. Not all of them and I don't really have patience when working with my own stuff.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Yeah, I've seen a lot of Dick stores close and I can only say good riddance.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

There are two local shops I tried to establish a working, friendly relationship with since I moved here. The first is owned by an oily old school shyster. I'm not sure if he is still in business, but was 2 years ago. He tried to pull something unethical with me, and that was that. The second one, mentioned above, is largish, but not any real competition to the heavy hitters here. They had significant ethical issues, too, as well as obnoxious staff. It was like, if you weren't some easily fleeced mark, they made you unwelcome. I'd loved to have found a small operation like you describe, I would've supported it without question. I had a few run-ins with dickheads back in Canada, so I could always tell when these ones were trying to snow me. Glad you got your axe into shape!
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I just bought Hive. :oops: :hyper: :help:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

:lol:

It seems pretty kewl! I just hope they don't do half-price sales. :roll:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:51 pm I just bought Hive. :oops: :hyper: :help:
I am waiting for a possible NKS integration and a NI sale.....( the same for bazille and ace)

cant see anything like that happening with hive2 so close.

Yeah, Enough poorly run brick and mortar operations spoil it for the decent ones. I used to pass by five or six shops that I'd never set foot in again on my way to his shop.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”