Tone2 Icarus is the most underrated synth in Existence.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/th ... day-621799

So I just saw this article and in this top according to users (that maybe don't know anything about Icarus or what is capable of).

I simply can't comprehend how in a top of 25, Icarus is not there, I mean, it should be at least in between 10 best, most powerful and versatile synth available; at the end what I see is that this result is only bias and because of popularity.

Icarus has multiple synthesis, is not only a wavetable synth, also has resynthesis of imported samples, additive, sample, FM and way more synthesis than many (if not all) of the competition, huge possibilities with morph modes, perhaps the biggest collection of filters in a synth, and more; This poll is only another prove that no because something is trending means necessarily better/right/good.
Last edited by JunSev on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That top 25 must be a joke, seriously.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

With all respect, but Music Radar must have some stakes in KV331.
Both synths in top 5 lmfao.

Synthmaster is OK, but best synth out of all? :dog:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I recall an email from KV331 asking me to vote for their synths, but I did not get one from Tone2. But those surveys are clickbait for Music Radar, not a way to identify good synths. Music Radar is a total waste of time.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Sorry, but this is nonsense. Icarus has a FM-like, basic Waveshaper with one parameter. It has not FM-synthesis, no real ringmod or PM, like Synthmaster2. It has good filters though, a good selection of unison modes and a nicely streamlined interface, but this also comes with limitations. Synthmaster2 is not streamlined at all, it can do real FM, PM, RM, its LFOs, modmatrix and ENVs are way more sophisticated and so on.

I am not saying that Synthmaster is the best, but I think it is deserved to be rated better than Icarus.

Music Radar seem to at least have some co-operation with Computer Music, or so they had me believe, and Computer Music's rating system is also a joke.
Last edited by starflakeprj on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Icarus?
Last edited by Dillinger on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:42 am Sorry, but this is nonsense. Icarus has a FM-like, basic Waveshaper with one parameter. It has not FM-synthesis, no real ringmod or PM, like Synthmaster2. It has good filters though, a good selection of unison modes and a nicely streamlined interface, but this also comes with limitations. Synthmaster2 is not streamlined at all, it can do real FM, PM, RM, its LFOs, modmatrix and ENVs are way more sophisticated and so on.

I am not saying that Synthmaster is the best, but I think it is deserved to be rated better than Icarus.
Are you sure you're not confusing it with Nemesis? The waveshaper in Icarus is actually far from basic, it supports a lot more different modes than something like Pigments or Serum, e.g. Format, ringmod, AM, several different FM modes (sine, square etc.), oscillator sync effects, harmonic morphing, comb filters, phase distortion, phase shift etc.

The waveshaper only has one single parameter, it is very reduced in expression. In a real cross-OSC-FM, you can modulate the modulating OSC completely just like a normal OSC. That is far superior in possibilities. Same for RM, PM and sync.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:26 am The waveshaper only has one single parameter, it is very reduced in expression. In a real cross-OSC-FM, you can modulate the modulating OSC completely just like a normal OSC. That is far superior in possibilities. Same for RM, PM and sync.
From the 1.5 update:
•The engine is now able to do FM synthesis (PM) between oscillators. Select 'FM<-Osc1' as synthesis/morph mode to modulate Osc2 with Osc1
•The engine is now able to do amplitude modulation between oscillators. Select 'AM<-Osc1' as morph mode to modulate Osc2 with Osc1
•The engine is now able to do Waveshaping between oscillators. Select 'Shape<-Osc1' as synthesis/morph mode to shape Osc1 with the wavform of Osc2

IMO that´s not really reduced in expression or just basic.

Oh ok. Just tested it when it was released. Cross waveshaping indeed sound awesome oO.

Didn't Icarus fly up to the sun and then have his wings fall off ?
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Self fullfilling prophecy

I sort of agree, it is certainly an underrated wavetable synth- 50+ synthesis modes and 60+ filter types is generous, there is some inovation in the 3D wavetable stuff and it sounds fantastic....

But....

Serum is so much eaier to use and visualise what's going on, scalable GUI is (I think) much needed now-a-days and it may be that feature rich can be over complicated and hard to get in to.

I have had Icarus for a while and I like its sound, I have used and tweaked the presets but I havent created sunds on it (other than by accident). On Serum (and lately Zone) I can imagen a sound and then create it....maybe I just need to put more time in on Icarus, but I haven't due to the small GUI (I am on 4K).

Needs a V2 (is it the last to be opdated to at least V2?) with a bigger GUI and a simpler workflow (for me at least) to be a top 20 synth.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”