Tone2 Icarus is the most underrated synth in Existence.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

All my favorites are not even in the top 15.
I´m so not mainststream :D

christian f. wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:29 am With all respect, but Music Radar must have some stakes in KV331.
Both synths in top 5 lmfao.
As far as i read, some developers motivate their customers to vote in such polls, while others don't. Also, the popularity will vastly differ on different sites. Such a list literally means nothing at all.

I also think the Tone2 synths are a tad underrated. On the other hand, there's very few sales, the marketing often is a bit pretentious (nothing wrong with that in general, but, some could do a bit more subtlely), the sound demos are often pretty cheesy, and the Tone2 sound is not for everyone, and some of the synths have a tad too much of that. I always said that Electra2 is their best sounding synth, and, i stick to that. Coincidentally (or not...) it's the synth which has the least of that Tone2 "trademark" sound. It simply does it more subtlely than the others. The other synths often appear to me like "with extra cheese please". For me, a synth should have its own character, but it should resemble the sound of analog synths. Some of the Tone2 synths are rather "proud to be digital", and there's too much of that psychoacoustic stuff added on top of them. If they'd do a bit less of that, do more frequent sales, and do some better sound demos, i'm sure they'd sell more. On the other, i'm a layman, and all that i've written is pure speculation, and i'm sure they know better than me. I think Markus is a very capable developer, and you can't argue about taste really.

Cinebient wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:11 am All my favorites are not even in the top 15.
I´m so not mainststream :D
Let's see... i have... 5 of the top 15 (actually, 5 in the whole 25...). :) Guess i'm at least a little mainstream, hehe. I'd think the list included the most obvious and relevant anyway. I'm really, really not sure how many people actually own Tone2 synths. Judging from here, and Equipboard, i'd say they're a bit under the radar, which proves this thread.

4 of the top 5 here (I don't have Omnisphere)...annnnnnd 7 of the top 10...Yea I guess I'm a bit clique :hihi: :hihi:
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Icarus is a very capable synth and one that I would never sell.
But there are a lot of options out there. And Tone2 could do it's public relations a bit better (I am being subtle here ).

Love Icarus but rarely use it now since having bought Rapid in the Black Friday sales last year - there's not much that Icarus can do that Rapid can't do better.

i think massive, absynth, chipspeech and phospher 2 have nothing to do with the best 25 synths. Everyone has his favorite synths, I voted for Tal-Mod, which is also not in the list.
Synthmaster is very cheap compared to other synths and has many features and finally good filters. If you change old presets to new filters, it sounds much bether.
Tone2 finaly updates their synths with new features and sound improvements. These updates had been in the past very expensive. I realy like free improvemts, that shows that a company makes their existing products bether and don't want to sell one new synth after an other...
In other rankings, Icarus is far bether ranked ...
https://www.amazona.de/charts/keys/soft ... nthesizer/

Those are just wavetable synths though. Apart from that, i haven't found "best lists" which are further from reality as the ones on Amazona.de.

Arturia Pigments made it after one week ? :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm Arturia Pigments made it after one week ? :lol:
It will be interesting to see if they are higher in 2020 as more buy. They have done the rarity of entering an oversaturated market late yet still placing themselves right in the competition. Marketing of course but that workflow man, one of the best Workflows i've ever seen.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

My point being is how did such a new synth get so many votes so soon ? Not a very scientific poll to say the least. Developers skew the results by sending "vote for me" mass mailings.

These Top 25, 10, 5 whatever polls are pointless. Always have been always will be....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Poll is meaningless. It's popularity of a small sample size, Music Radar readers and companies who care enough to pimp their synths to their customers by asking for votes.

What Donald Trump had for breakfast today is more meaningful than this top 25.

FTR, I think Icarus is a fine synth and should probably be in the top 25 somewhere. I just don't know where.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:43 pm Poll is meaningless. It's popularity of a small sample size, Music Radar readers and companies who care enough to pimp their synths to their customers by asking for votes.

What Donald Trump had for breakfast today is more meaningful than this top 25.

FTR, I think Icarus is a fine synth and should probably be in the top 25 somewhere. I just don't know where.
+1

I'd say Nemesis is the more underrated of the two.....but I won't touch any of Markus' products

Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:30 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm Arturia Pigments made it after one week ? :lol:
It will be interesting to see if they are higher in 2020 as more buy. They have done the rarity of entering an oversaturated market late yet still placing themselves right in the competition. Marketing of course but that workflow man, one of the best Workflows i've ever seen.
I think the heavily discounted introductory pricing also helped. V-Collection owners got it for just €69 which is less than the upgrade from Dune 2 to 3 cost, for example. They also had a 90-day unlimited demo IIRC. This almost certainly helped it to gain initial market share very quickly.

Return to “Instruments”