Trying to decide: Reason, Sampletank or Kontakt

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zzz00m wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:05 pm It's $10 to open up all your IK downloads for another 180 days. That's cheaper than cloud storage, or a new external hard drive.
Yeah but you’ve already paid for the product.

It should be free.

The days of your life that you lose to the installation process is enough to justify not purchasing SampleTank4. It's totally worth it to wait until you have enough money to buy Kontakt. IK makes awesome effects, processors, amp sims and even great hardware, but this SampleTank endeavor is a travesty, they should drop it and focus on what they are good at.
Asus CM6870 3AB, i7 3770 Ivy, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 7TB Internal, Windows 8 64bit Pro,RME Firface UC, Reaper. Ableton Live 9, Sonar X2, Maschine.

For samples, loops and patterns, I would vote none of the above, and go with Ableton Live. I also have Ableton Live 10 Standard.

The MIDI and audio clip launching and looping in Live is at the top of the game! It's a DAW with tons of content, including Instrument racks, drum racks, and effects chains. Plus you can live sample your own sounds. Probably best suited for electronic music, but you could do anything with it, really. Instructional videos and courses for Live are widely available online.

Reason essentially is another DAW, and it comes with a cool instrument rack with some good instruments, beats and loops. They are mostly synthesizer and drum machine sounds, but there is an included sampler NN-XT, so you can sample your own sounds. Great for producing electronic music. Reason only started permitting 3rd party plugins in VST format in recent versions. Prior to that it was a walled garden with just their instruments allowed. So now you can expand with your own plugins. I have Reason Lite 10, and I can see why folks like it. But I already have another couple of DAWs, and never got motivated to dig into this one deeply.

With Kontakt or SampleTank you get sample libraries containing a lot of sampled real instruments, and some sampled synths sounds. But bring your own DAW.

The plus for Kontakt is that it has become the de facto industry standard for 3rd party sampled instrument libraries. The factory library that ships with Kontakt is nowhere as "complete" as SampleTank MAX. You can expect to pay for Kontakt just to get in the game, then you will likely need to buy additional instrument libraries to get all the instruments that you need. The good news is that many are available. The bad news is that your wallet (or your wife) may not thank you.

The plus for SampleTank MAX is that their factory library includes nearly everything plus the kitchen sink. The downside to that is that does take a lot of time to download and install everything. I have been working on that all week, LOL! But the sounds are great! I didn't even bother downloading their loops, so I cannot comment on that part. I just bought it for the instruments. And they are sweet!
Last edited by zzz00m on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I reckon Kontakt is nearly essential. Get that before anything.

I'd recommend you Halion Sonic 3.
It's not as high quality as Kontakt, but for Kontakt you'll need to invest in 3rd party libraries to have any advantage over halion, plus the workflow might be too demanding if it's just a hobby. Plus, Halion is cheaper than Kontakt AND you can get a 30 days free trial.

I would stay away from sampletank 4.
I was satisfied with sampletank 3 as a sketching tool, but version 4 is a mess. It has a torturing downloading and installing process plus it's crushing all the time.

Another alternative can be Xpand!2, it's more lo-fi than halion and kontakt, but it's cheaper and might suit your needs. There are a lot of demos for it in Youtube.

Kontakt for sure, I have SampleTank 3 but rarely use it.

I have all three. If you are just wanting to make beats and synth sounds, Reason is great. It is standalone or can be used as instruments in your DAW. The sounds it comes with are actually pretty good. The DAW portion of it is only okay. Though, truthfully, I have better DAWs so I am picky and never really tried to figure it out. I like it because it doesn't require a major computer to run - I've run it on my netbook with an i5 and 4GB RAM. And if you don't use any outside VST's it is very solid.

Otherwise, I really recommend Kontakt. If you just buy it on its own? The factory library is okay. What is good about Kontakt is that you can now use a lot of free and cheap Kontakt libraries that do a lot of stuff. Additionally, if you buy one of the ones that only requires Kontakt player (a licensed library), most of the time you can get the crossgrade price to the full Kontakt, which will save you a lot. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ade-offer/

Sampletank, well, I have it. It has a lot of sounds. And I never use it. Truthfully, the sounds aren't that good. I wouldn't waste my money.

Oh man Native instrument has deleted my account for no reason and lost a license. So to my knowledge I don't recommend them to anyone. When I contacted them, they asked me to provide a serial code. Are you kidding me? How did they delete my account in the first place man? I would go with IK multimedia.
You already have a great DAW CPU optimised. You don't need a DAW man.

Studio Saturn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 pm Oh man Native instrument has deleted my account for no reason and lost a license.
Why am i doubtful of the trueness of your statement?

chk071 Shall I show you my conversation with them in private and you keep it to yourself? I can understand your doubts. Actually I just gave up. It isn't worth talking with them. Since I have only one license that I wanted to use. I would rather buy something than spend my time talking to a company who deleted my account in the first place. That is weird. It is the first company to do that for me.

look chk071 the license they are asking me about is something that I bought from KVR and it doesn't have a serial. So I can't get them that it is quite clear right? But in order to resolve my situation, they keep asking me for serial. Why did they delete my account in the first place? Anyways I don't want to take thread to another topic. Move on

Usually there's some proof like receipt, or u can show the bank event... Etc

Studio Saturn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:55 pm chk071 Shall I show you my conversation with them in private and you keep it to yourself? I can understand your doubts. Actually I just gave up. It isn't worth talking with them. Since I have only one license that I wanted to use. I would rather buy something than spend my time talking to a company who deleted my account in the first place. That is weird. It is the first company to do that for me.
When did they delete your account? And why would they do that?

And what about that license? You bought a license which you can't activate, because it is no serial?

Are you aware that there's a totally easy and fool proof way to transfer the licenses in your account? If the license can't be transferred, it won't show up as transferrable.

chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:07 pm
Studio Saturn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:55 pm chk071 Shall I show you my conversation with them in private and you keep it to yourself? I can understand your doubts. Actually I just gave up. It isn't worth talking with them. Since I have only one license that I wanted to use. I would rather buy something than spend my time talking to a company who deleted my account in the first place. That is weird. It is the first company to do that for me.

And what about that license? You bought a license which you can't activate, because it is no serial?

Are you aware that there's a totally easy and fool proof way to transfer the licenses in your account? If the license can't be transferred, it won't show up as transferrable.
Surprisingly I just found the user name which I bought the funk guitaris, it was Citidela. Now poof it has gone together with my account I can't give them proof they need serial but it is just a transfer from one user to the other. My question was how come they deleted my account?

I have no idea when they have deleted it. The only reason I use native instruments is for funk guitarist. When I clean install my OS for Mojave I had to install all of my softwares and I went to the site to download I couldn't log in and I tried again and still not working finally thinking that I might have forgotten my password since I don't visit it regularly I requested a password reset and nothing is comping so I contacted them and they told me that I don't have an account. Man forget about it I really don't want to stress about it that much it is just my behaviour. I just mentioned it to the user just to make him aware of what happened. If you still don't believe me I can show you my conversation and also since when I have been having my account with them. The funny part is that they send me an ad even after they told me my account doesn't exist.

Studio Saturn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:18 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Surprisingly I just found the user name which I bought the funk guitaris, it was Citidela. Now poof it has gone together with my account I can't give them proof they need serial but it is just a transfer from one user to the other. My question was how come they deleted my account?

I have no idea when they have deleted it. The only reason I use native instruments is for funk guitarist. When I clean install my OS for Mojave I had to install all of my softwares and I went to the site to download I couldn't log in and I tried again and still not working finally thinking that I might have forgotten my password since I don't visit it regularly I requested a password reset and nothing is coming so I contacted them and they told me that I don't have an account. Man forget about it I really don't want to stress about it that much it is just my behaviour. I just mentioned it to the user just to make him aware of what happened. If you still don't believe me I can show you my conversation and also since when I have been having my account with them. The funny part is that they send me an ad even after they told me my account doesn't exist.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”