Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi control panel for Reaper (JSFX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I know that's a really specific thing, but posting it here just in case.

There is an age old Yamaha's S-YXG50, a software emulator of their famous DB50XG rompler daughterboard. There is also a long discontinued VSTi version as well, and kind of community of long standing fans of the card/software/sounds.

One issue is that the VSTi version totally lacks user interface, all patches and features can be only accessed via controller changes and SysEx. While there is intrument maps for many DAWs that allow to select patches, to my knowledge there is no comfortable way to control built-in effects. I wanted to try them out better, and also wanted to learn Reaper's JSFX facility, so I wrote my own control panel for Repear in JSFX.

Download: http://shiru.untergrund.net/files/midi_ ... ontrol.zip

Hi, I use Sonar 3 on XP 32 bit. I have installed the vsti but can only get the piano sound. How do you access the other sounds/banks through Sonar? Thanks. Niall

I haven't seen Sonar in a long while, so I can't really remember how things works there, but my guess is that you need to set up proper route. I.e. MIDI data from track goes into the JSFX, then MIDI output from JSFX goes into MIDI input of S-YXG50. When you only get piano sound, the JSFX likely is not in the chain, i.e. MIDI data from track goes directly into S-YXG50.

Thanks much for this. Once I re-discovered where the script files live, it worked wonderfully.

Thanks for this!

A couple of notes:

1. I can't find a way to drag the MIDI channel via mouse. It's a bit tiresome to click on it to increment, there's no way to decrement. Responding to mousewheel here would also be great!

2. FX send/send to chorus/send to reverb level settings aren't remembered for each MIDI channel (and they are in fact individual for MIDI channel), so when you switch between different channels, you're lost as to where you are).

3. Any way to default a parameter to some value? Like via right-click or something...

4. Nice that we can mousewheel above sliders to change their value, but would be great if there'd be a more precise adjustment while holding Shift.

5. Even though ReaControlMIDI can sort this out, it might be great to have it under a single plugin, so perhaps adding some common parameters per channel would be great - by this I mean cutoff, resonance, envelope, pitch bend range, mono/poly mode, portamento, etc.

Cheers!

shiru8bit, your scrip is awesome, there is so many work behind the scene !
I suppose that many of the underlying data come from XGworks files.
I want to make a similar controller panel for my yamaha PSR-S670 keyboard, can I use your script as a base ?

A bit off-topic....but how does this compare to Rolands Audio Canvas?

Different flavor of nearly the same thing.

So I was listening to examples of general MIDI synthesizers. I found that I greatly prefer XG over GS. I tried the XG VST but there's no way for me to change the presets. I can live without editing the presets but I would like to be able to browse the presets. Is my only option to use the GUI that was created for reaper?

You can send Bank Select and Program Change messages to the plugin according to XG standard and it'll work.

Just download the S-YXG50 manual to have the bank and program numbers corresponding to each voice. The Yamaha XGWorks software is also a great tool to play midi file and edit the S-YXG50 voices...

@EvilDragon : I have seen your couple of notes, maybe I can improve something, will try....
The only thing that annoy me is that I can't get the FX3 Variation effect to work with the S-YXG50 VSTi directly in a DAW.
It sems OK if I use the S-YXG50 VSTi as a system MIDI synth, with VST MIDI Driver.

EvilDragon, thanks for the feedback, will try to add/fix it sometime later.

pquenin, sure, you can use this script however you want. It has been released under CC0 (Public Domain) terms.

Hello Shiru, and thank you !
Have you tried your control panel with the S-YXG50 VSTi within a DAW ? The (FX3) Variation effect have no "effect" on the sound... I will investigate a little more and try to find a solution...

FX3 works for me. In fact it was the most interesting part and one of main reasons to do the thing (I wanted to hear the Distortion/Overdrive and some other effects for a long time). Many of the effects is not set to defaults that would be noticeable right away, though, they need to be tweaked.

There are issues with re-enabling effects after save/load, though. It seems it only starts to work again when you open the control panel GUI after loading a project.

Return to “Instruments”