Studio One 4 v Reaper Comparison

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LawrenceF wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 pm
jancivil wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:25 pmIt seems like an interest quite outside making music, a fascinating nerd sort of hobby activity to me. And I don't want to look for outside script, certainly not to make scripts. Life is too short, I have this little setup in order to create music.
In defense of Reaper and other workstations with scripting, that's a really narrow minded point of view.

1. Nobody has to do it. It's 100% voluntary.
2. If you do need X function, you can wait two years for it to maybe get added to an application or maybe a "nerd" can give it to you tomorrow? You don't have to do anything but ask in either case. Nobody is asking you to script anything.

Why anyone would argue against the ability of other users to just give you new functions is beyond me. Reaper didn't actually invent that, Vegas did it for ages. Those guys are "nerds not making music" right up until they code something you need, then they're handy to have around right?

That's the main reason I don't share my S1 scripts anymore, that point of view that if I know how to script in it and I take an hour or two a month to add something I actually want, I must be a nerd not making music. To those people I say... "Fine, wait 3 years for your Feature Requests and I'll just do me." :)

Here's some things on the S1 FR list that I already have... a short list.
  • Remove all unused instruments
    Solo In Front
    Remove Empty Tracks
    Filter Tracks by name
    Find tracks by name
    etc, etc, I script little things I need as they come up.
Things that make working or mixing easier.
Though I am now leaning towards S1 to be my main DAW when I briefly used Reaper I felt no pressure to go beyond the default setup. I did however briefly did venture and made a few adjustments in Preferences and was pleased with the outcome. As for scripts if I ever go back to Reaper I will attempt to find the ones useful to me. Yea bit time consuming but then the results over the long run make it worth while.

I have not used ReaPack https://reapack.com/ but if I again try Reaper I would definitely try it.

Reaper 6 if released soon may urge me to give it another try.

For me it is the multi-touch and superior ARA/Melodyne implementation that has moved me to the S1 camp.

LawrenceF wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 pm In defense of Reaper and other workstations with scripting, that's a really narrow minded point of view.
I think a better choice of words would be 'focused'. I don't think there's anything deficient in wanting to use music production tools to just make music.

swatwork wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 pm
LawrenceF wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 pm In defense of Reaper and other workstations with scripting, that's a really narrow minded point of view.
I think a better choice of words would be 'focused'. I don't think there's anything deficient in wanting to use music production tools to just make music.
Yes. I'm just not sure how Reaper, Ardour, Tracktion, Vegas, or any other workstation with a scripting interface actually prevents anyone from doing that.

Like any other feature you have in a product that you no use for... just ignore it.

Can anyone tell me if Studio One 4 now supports midi vst (like riffer, midi madness, melody sauce and so on) ? If thats the case if there is any tutorial, video or whatever showing how. Thats my main obstacle for using studio one, so easy in Waveform, Mulab....

^^^ they need dedicated track(s) on one device one track bases and routing the MIDI from/to it so PITA, if have MUX can built a AL like instrument rack device (with modulable macros etc.) as I see this is the the easiest solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leVGqcFlYTg
from 1:50
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

tatanka wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:14 am Can anyone tell me if Studio One 4 now supports midi vst (like riffer, midi madness, melody sauce and so on) ? If thats the case if there is any tutorial, video or whatever showing how. Thats my main obstacle for using studio one, so easy in Waveform, Mulab....
Still no direct midi fx input from 3d party plugins, but there is workaround, like in ableton.
Studio One allow to get midi from another midi track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwdykEXkeG0

Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:45 pm
LawrenceF wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 pm
jancivil wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:25 pmIt seems like an interest quite outside making music, a fascinating nerd sort of hobby activity to me. And I don't want to look for outside script, certainly not to make scripts. Life is too short, I have this little setup in order to create music.
In defense of Reaper and other workstations with scripting, that's a really narrow minded point of view.

1. Nobody has to do it. It's 100% voluntary.
No shit?

Where do you get that I wanted this to be more than a statement of my own personal preference.
I find having to to roll my own DAW to the extent I would need to is not interesting. I admire people with the knack for things like scripting, but I'm just a stupid musician like that, right?

LawrenceF wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:24 pm
swatwork wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 pm
Yes. I'm just not sure how Reaper, Ardour, Tracktion, Vegas, or any other workstation with a scripting interface actually prevents anyone from doing that.

Like any other feature you have in a product that you no use for... just ignore it.
It appeared that, up until this, here was a forum where people exchanged their notions on a matter. This is viewed as an attack? You seem to bely that you are strictly from objective regarding teh DAWS, as a defender to that extent.

For those of us who would prefer a feature given in a DAW such as Time Warp, it would be a use of more time than some would like to find out where to acquire a script as an add on, then how to implement such just to do that same thing, so it does amount to a kind of preventative.

"Why anyone would argue against the ability of other users to just give you new functions is beyond me."
- and I don't quite get why people need to create such a straw.man just to be argumentative.

jancivil wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:27 pm
For those of us who would prefer a feature given in a DAW such as Time Warp, it would be a use of more time than some would like to find out where to acquire a script as an add on, then how to implement such just to do that same thing, so it does amount to a kind of preventative.
I suppose you state as an example - but if missing Cubase Time Warp in StudioOne, have a look here - as cool as anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tdv8jwVeFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvDNdnPsvE

jancivil wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:27 pm it would be a use of more time than some would like to find out where to acquire a script as an add on, then how to implement such just to do that same thing, so it does amount to a kind of preventative.
Apologies if you misunderstood my reply, it wasn't intended the way you took it.

Nobody makes music 24/7 so (for those it may apply to, not you) maybe spend 15 minutes finding an add-on that will help with your music making when you do get back to it. That's all I was getting at, when you're not making music... not ... "Stop in the middle of making music and lose your musical idea and go find a script."

Things like that are only a time suck or a distraction if you let it become that. I understand your personal preference when engaged in producing music, I was only saying... we all do have free time right?

Sorry to (maybe) hijack this thread, but the current crossgrade offer for Studio One includes cross grades from Reaper and that got me thinking. Reaper is acting up on me recently and I'm wondering if it's time to move to another DAW. See the screenshots below, the windows are just not rendering completely more and more frequently. Going in and out of full screen corrects the issue temporarily, but the problem reappears when, for example, I open the MIDI editor. Any help is appreciated. (The Reaper forum wasn't super helpful)

monomox wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:04 pm Sorry to (maybe) hijack this thread, but the current crossgrade offer for Studio One includes cross grades from Reaper and that got me thinking. Reaper is acting up on me recently and I'm wondering if it's time to move to another DAW. See the screenshots below, the windows are just not rendering completely more and more frequently. Going in and out of full screen corrects the issue temporarily, but the problem reappears when, for example, I open the MIDI editor. Any help is appreciated. (The Reaper forum wasn't super helpful)

You could always download the Studio One demo and see how it works for you.
However I'd look into trying to fix the issue in the first place, rather than trying to sidestep it. It could be indicative of some underlying driver or hardware problem that could cause more issues down the road.

monomox wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:04 pm Sorry to (maybe) hijack this thread, but the current crossgrade offer for Studio One includes cross grades from Reaper and that got me thinking. Reaper is acting up on me recently and I'm wondering if it's time to move to another DAW. See the screenshots below, the windows are just not rendering completely more and more frequently. Going in and out of full screen corrects the issue temporarily, but the problem reappears when, for example, I open the MIDI editor. Any help is appreciated. (The Reaper forum wasn't super helpful)

TBH, that looks like an issue with the graphics driver.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 am TBH, that looks like an issue with the graphics driver.
Yep, that's what it was, thanks for helping me with this issue both of you... I was getting pretty desperate
:party:

Nice. :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”