any future for MacBooks in music production ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:53 pm I'm sure the T2 chip will be great and glorious when they figured out the kinks. But how bad is the situation for audio at the moment? Is it like everybody has problems?

/C
I have had absolutely zero problems with a 2018 MacBook Pro with a T2 chip
Sweet child in time...

It seems that it's just USB 2 audio. Firewire is ok.

waltercruz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:57 am It seems that it's just USB 2 audio. Firewire is ok.
That may be why I don't have any issues - everything I do is Thunderbolt and USB3.
Sweet child in time...

Man if internet is great in situations like this.

Yesterday I was seriously inches away from buying a new MacMini. So glad I didn't. I only have USB2 interfaces around here. But I can still squeeze out one or two more years of my old Macbook so all is good. And at least they poor people who have a T2 computer, at least they can disable the software that messes things up.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

And the smart ones can buy a PC (which stands for Proper Computer).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:37 am And the smart ones can buy a PC (which stands for Proper Computer).
What a helpful post! I have never heard about those things before, and have absolutely never used one either. I have never spent 20 years using those things. No sir! This is the first time I have ever heard of a PC! I was fooled into using one computer platform and I never knew there were others!

Thank you so much for sharing this piece of valuable information and thank you for working so hard to help other people.

I hope you have more wisdom to share. Don't hold back. I also want to be smart!

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Says the fool who is forced to "squeeze out one or two more years of my old Macbook" rather than consider all the available options. Very clever.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:56 am Says the fool who is forced to "squeeze out one or two more years of my old Macbook" rather than consider all the available options. Very clever.
:( :( :(

Yes - indeed a fool! Thank you for your kindness and your astute observations. Here I was, thinking of upgrading my computer into a more powerful one. I honestly, don't need that extra power - but it sure is tempting! And now when I hear that there are issues with the latest models, I chose to wait until the problems are resolved. What madness! I see now how crazy that must seem.

Obviously the right choice is to change platform!

I cannot thank you enough for the deepness of your helpful ways. Can I ask you something unrelated? I have a small leak in my roof. The roof is working well otherwise. But during certain situations, like big wind and rain. Sometimes it rains in. I was thinking of fixing the leak now in the springtime - but maybe it would be better to move to a new house?

/C

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:27 am Man if internet is great in situations like this.

Yesterday I was seriously inches away from buying a new MacMini. So glad I didn't. I only have USB2 interfaces around here. But I can still squeeze out one or two more years of my old Macbook so all is good. And at least they poor people who have a T2 computer, at least they can disable the software that messes things up.

/C
Yeah same here, my MacMini is 2011 but surprisingly still can run most plugins well enough (although currently beta testing one that is bringing it to its knees). I have a Fireface UC though so that would be a problem till the T2 thing is sorted.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:37 am And the smart ones can buy a PC (which stands for Proper Computer).
Yes, of course, there has never in the history of PCs been one that has crashed, and Windows has never, ever had issues because of PC hardware. :roll:
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:01 pm
Yes, of course, there has never in the history of PCs been one that has crashed, and Windows has never, ever had issues because of PC hardware. :roll:
Pal, I spend 8 or 9 hours every day on a MacPro and I can promise you that over the last 7 years I've had more problems in any given week on every one of those Macs than I've had in a full year on any PC I have owned over the same period. To be fair, many, if not most, of those problems are not specifically related to anything Apple, they are a consequence of the fact that almost all software these days is developed for PC, then ported to Mac. Consequently, a lot applications don't work nearly as well on Mac. But that's the reality of the situation and something that must factor into any decision about which platform to use.

I use beta builds of Windows, via the Insider programme, and my $500 laptop is still more reliable and stable than the $5000 MacPro I endure at work. It works better, too. There may have been a time when Macs were more reliable than PCs, although I have never found that to be the case, but these days Windows is miles ahead of macOS in pretty much every way. If you want to kid yourself that it is otherwise, you are living in a fool's paradise (great Oingo Boingo song, BTW).

BONES wrote:Pal, I spend 8 or 9 hours every day on a MacPro and I can promise you that over the last 7 years I've had more problems in any given week on every one of those Macs than I've had in a full year on any PC I have owned over the same period. To be fair, many, if not most, of those problems are not specifically related to anything Apple, they are a consequence of the fact that almost all software these days is developed for PC, then ported to Mac. Consequently, a lot applications don't work nearly as well on Mac. But that's the reality of the situation and something that must factor into any decision about which platform to use.

I use beta builds of Windows, via the Insider programme, and my $500 laptop is still more reliable and stable than the $5000 MacPro I endure at work. It works better, too. There may have been a time when Macs were more reliable than PCs, although I have never found that to be the case, but these days Windows is miles ahead of macOS in pretty much every way. If you want to kid yourself that it is otherwise, you are living in a fool's paradise (great Oingo Boingo song, BTW).
You just described your personal circumstances, so unless your personal experiences are used as an industry-wide benchmark, this is not in any way a compulsive argument that PCs are better than Macs.

I'm not sure why you have this pathological need to argue and insult people on this forum so much, but it's not impressing anyone. I get it that you prefer PCs to Macs, as you jump into many threads to troll them (then justify throwing insults at people because they don't agree with you), but don't you think it's time to give it a rest?

I've seen quite a few people here note that you never waver from your modus operandi, and that it's very predictable and tiresome, but don't you think it's time to evaluate why you're doing it? Most people give up on this sort of thing once they're out of their teens, but you seem to be much older than that and still want to feed your ego in this way.

Frankly I'm surprised that you don't get banned from here, but this forum is notorious for its lack of moderation, so I guess you're going to be allowed to continue in this manner.
Sweet child in time...

It's not lack of moderation IMO , it's who it does and doesn't get applied to. Which I guess means that even the mods are just following the rules and exceptions passed down to them.

IMO moderation here is far better than Gearslutz.

samsam wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:22 am It's not lack of moderation IMO , it's who it does and doesn't get applied to. Which I guess means that even the mods are just following the rules and exceptions passed down to them.

IMO moderation here is far better than Gearslutz.
Indeed, 'BONES' seems to be able to operate with impunity here.

You're right about Gearslutz, but I think there are more double standards here than at Gearslutz.
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”