Where Have All The FLowners Gone?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Caine123 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:40 am Still a heavy fl studio user but it sucks ass for stability and performance even in the latest Version.
I don´t know, what you are doing there...
FLS is more performant than ever before since the last updates, which have improved Mixer routing and Patcher and ...crashes...???? Never had some the last years even with betas...

If I encounter something where I open a post in the support forum it´s about something not working right like atm changing Maximus attack knob on any band is not reflected in realtime in the hint panel or there was a little flaw with naming...so absolutely minor stuff...

To state FLS would be highly unstable is simply not true... more likely is that you use specific plugins or something else is going on on your machine, which FLS doesn´t like...

Performancewise I did a whole lot of tests and FLS is perhaps the less performant one compared with Reaper/S1/Ableton/Bitwig but with a very very small difference...
We are talking about being able to load 1 or 2 instances more of a total of a hundred...
Meaning in FLS you have perhaps to freeze something 1 minute earlier than in another DAW... if this matters to you... well... 8)

I pretty much avoided FL Studio for a long time, but their most recent versions have really been impressive with the upgraded GUI and workflow enhancements. So, it's now in my DAW rotation. My only major complaint is the annoying way MIDI routing is implemented, but perhaps that will change one day too.

I cant say FLS has ever been unstable for me. It does do some weird stuff with
dynamic buffer sizes that can cause 'many' plugins to become unstable. It's
almost a certainty that developers have to make adjustments to account for
FLS when developing plugins. Assuming they want them to work well in FLS
anyway.

FL has its moments for me but I Also use the Mac version, kind of a work in progress. Not really real projects anymore, just goofy little jams. I used nothing BUT FL for years until late 2016 when I bought Ableton but honestly I never looked back.

Piano roll is still amazing tho. THE BEST dare I say. Or at least tied for the Best with Cubase (For me).
Last edited by Spencer Maddox on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

My only instability I have had with FL Studio involve plugins that get finicky inside of it. This is quite rare though!

What I have had is an old project not load correctly in a newer version but this is rare.

I would never us this link to imply that Reaper sucks:

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Latest updates are great
With easier fades, crossfades and easier audio recording, warping etc I would jump instantly.

andypryce wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:20 pm Latest updates are great
With easier fades, crossfades and easier audio recording, warping etc I would jump instantly.
True, Those are good additions. Really it was the drag and Drop "Track Mode" that made me reinstall the program and give it some time. And Nostalga will always link me to the program given it was my First real DAW. So with those two factors they are slowly starting to win me back...
That being said my other Daw's I use like Cubase and Ableton just released amazing Updates too :hihi:
Not a bad problem to be in however, I should't complain.

I wish you could do custom shortcuts in FL however, the ones they have just don't work for me.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:32 pm ...

I wish you could do custom shortcuts in FL however, the ones they have just don't work for me.
This will come for sure... but when??? 8)

I applaud the team for that myself. Still though, recording audio is a PITA vs. any other host I've used.

Love the look of it btw, and I haven't had performance issues since a few versions back (can't remember which one)

Trancit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:21 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:32 pm ...

This will come for sure... but when??? 8)
SOON hopefully :hihi: :hihi:

It's not the biggest deal but MAN is it super annoying to have to use some of their strange mappings

reggie1979 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:17 pm
I applaud the team for that myself. Still though, recording audio is a PITA vs. any other host I've used.

Love the look of it btw, and I haven't had performance issues since a few versions back (can't remember which one)
Sometimes dealing with recording audio and working with it can be a pain but Edison is a beast!

AFAIK Tracktion is the only company for whatever reason who has done extensive research into fixing crashes, well one reason is Waveform despite being a very creative daw has had stability issues and at NAAM Tracktions CEO said frankly other DAW companies are somewhat arrogant and don't like to admit they're DAW even crashes so don't spend time working on solutions. But I like the way they handled it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuCiIjSyMLk

Caine123 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:05 pm
tooneba wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:41 pm
Caine123 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:40 am Image line should implement a crash and recovery protection but no they add more shit just ro keep up.
But afaik recovery also sucks and I need auto save feature too. I use ableton but its recovery fails to save specific vst plugin state. So I only trust saved session either way. There may be perfect recovery function in other daw though. I don't know others'.
you got a auto save feature but it doesnt work for me reliable always. + it should always protect you from crashes like studio one, so far i had 2 plugins which crashed when added and i knew these were the plugins, after updating those it worked. in fl studio you can work flawlessly on a project and save and get to bed. next day TADAAAA it doesnt load it or even freezes your pc. pathetic! IL doesnt have any help for this so far and couldnt help either, wtf? and believe me i didnt use old 32bit plugins.....

i have also old projects and then i wouldnt wonder but not with NEW projects and plugins!

The last version I really sunk my teeth into was v3, though I spent some time with v12. It's like an old school friend you don't hear from often, but is sometimes nice to spend a few hours with every few years.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

True hardcore FL fan here. I would say that FL downhill started in FL 11. FL 10 was the last good FL, it was the FL what made it special and unique. Hard to explain, only old school users will understand it. Just wait until Scott will jump here to defend FL, "nothing has changed, we have added so much new features" "FL sells more than ever, we have millions of demo download every day" blaablaa sh*t.. Yeah, like I said, only old school users will understand it. :roll:

Anyway, I have already moved on. I don't use FL anymore, mainly because there is no similar time warping what Live and Bitwig has, and some plugins doesn't work on it properly, it's unstable, buggy and CPU hog, even with the latest "improvements". Also it still have problems with PDC and so on.

"It's like an old school friend you don't hear from often, but is sometimes nice to spend a few hours with every few years." that is very well said. That is how I feel about it now. However, I truly miss FL piano roll, it's simply the best on the market.

It is so funny that people here are posting the exact opposite opinions on this DAW. I also think it's funny that people think their opinions are automatically fact(to some extent on either side)...then again, that is KVR / online forums for you.

I have been using it since version 8 and still use it.

Thanks Vurt for noticing the title! :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”