Best affordable (or free) desktop app for managing your sample collection?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've decided I want to try and get on top of my D: drive drum sample folder... it's a mess! It's hard to find anything in there. A few years ago I started sorting by type, ie: all the kicks, all the snares - which made sense - but that split apart their respective sample collections.

So I'm thinking about jumping into a dedicated app that can speed up my workflow with finding drum samples. Something that can browse, preview, sort and tag samples. Being able to see and sort by bitrate or samplerate would be nice too.

The only one on my radar right now is this one:
https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/soft ... e-manager/

But I wanted to ask the KVR crew if there's better out there. Any advice much appreciated, thanks :)

Atlas, Sononym, or Resonic Pro?

I'd post links but I'm falling asleep... Hzvvzcccccvvv. ;nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Look at the offerings from Glitchmachines. I’ve got Polygon, but they all seem great and they’re really cheap.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Using Sononym for search (more than drums) and Resonic Pro for cleaning. Nothing is faster than Resonic Pro for navigating folders, previewing audio and MIDI, and I can delete straight from it, re-organize into new folders, etc. (but I don't since the parent folder has the licensing info and Sononym finds it anyway). Sononym is extremely good at search, demo it to see how they approach the problem.

There isn't a single app that does it all. And for drums specifically take a look at Algonaut Atlas, the random drum kit generation workflow is better than it sounds (sometimes I use an almost good-enough drum in there as a starting point in a Sononym search). ADSR Sample Manager is okay for free but it's currently too naive (mostly filename based) and manual (you need to tag everything so you can find it later) to be useful... I mean, my DAW does more than that already. But they're still developing it and you can give them feedback in the thread somewhere on here.

Thank you so much, you guys. I had never heard of those except the ADSR one. Incidentally the ADSR Sample Manager is very close to what I was looking for. Atlas and Sononym (especially) look really fun and creative, so they are on my research list to find out more.

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:41 am Look at the offerings from Glitchmachines. I’ve got Polygon, but they all seem great and they’re really cheap.
So you also read the title as "mangling", like I did :scared: :D

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:59 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:41 am Look at the offerings from Glitchmachines. I’ve got Polygon, but they all seem great and they’re really cheap.
So you also read the title as "mangling", like I did :scared: :D
haha, me too - was looking for some good tips on "mangling" software in this thread...only after reading your post I noticed it's actually "managing"...strange :D

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”