Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
dcl0
KVRer
7 posts since 26 Jan, 2014

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Nobody cares except everyone seems like they have something to to say about it, haha. Ironic!

User avatar
mellotronaut
KVRAF
9879 posts since 2 Jan, 2005 from somewhere in the woods

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:35 pm

dcl0 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pm
Nobody cares except everyone seems like they have something to to say about it, haha. Ironic!
in KvR-terms it is "Iconic", not "Ironic", unfortunately :borg: :x :lol:
"It dreamed itself along"

User avatar
Spencer Maddox
KVRist
468 posts since 19 Oct, 2017 from a state of anxiety

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 pm

To be fair Bitwig vs Ableton is a good ol pastime of KVR at this point.
It just keeps being brought up over and over and over again.
I’ve just learned to accept it.
It is ridiculous to argue about what program is better as both can produce great music. Even if the better program is Ableton. Which it is...


kidding kidding
Freinds Don't Let Freinds use Serum Presets

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7632 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Atlatnesiti wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:32 pm
Thanks, but no thanks.
Will stick to Ableton Live for now (and ever) :)
See ya :)

ckam03
KVRian
569 posts since 11 May, 2014

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:46 pm

dcl0 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pm
Nobody cares except everyone seems like they have something to to say about it, haha. Ironic!
I love when people use this argument because it's such a straw man. Let me break it down for you since it seems like it's complicated for you to understand. I use Bitwig, other people use Ableton. I'm tired of people telling me Ableton is better. I really don't care if it's "better" because I like Bitwig more. It's just like the whole Xbox One vs PS4 debacle. I don't care you think your console is better than mine. It's annoying. End of story.

dcl0
KVRer
7 posts since 26 Jan, 2014

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:07 pm

I understand, you don't like banter. Still though, the best way to shut that conversation down is to ignore it. Probably what I should have done here instead of entertaining something so condescending.

generaldiomedes
KVRian
616 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:25 pm

If bigwig was $250 I’d probably switch

machinesworking
KVRAF
1584 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:57 pm

generaldiomedes wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:25 pm
If bigwig was $250 I’d probably switch
You can pick it up for that price at least once a month on the forums here.

Personally I would jump ship to Bitwig the moment they added in SysEx support and ReWire, and/or the ability to run it as a VSTi in another DAW. The enclosed system approach my only complaint about it. OK I would like it if the controller support was worked out by Bitwig, I'm not a fan of relying on third party support from enthusiastic end users, even if Möss is a god of control surfaces! :clap:

Honestly if they extended their touch screen support to OSX that would be enough, having a Slate Raven it's frustrating that it's sitting there, but it works badly on OSX. :scared:

SLiC
KVRAF
3416 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:55 pm

Bitwig is a realy good solid DAW with some unique workflow features at 2.5, but it is the soon to be beta V3 that I think will make a few people take a second look.one thing is absolutely certain, Bitwig’s developement rate is second to none....so it’s well worth keeping an eye on!

It’s not (currently) going to be a DAW for everyone, it may well be a second, specialist DAW for a lot of people, but it is an amazing music making tool that. An do many things better than other DAWs....but it still does some things worse!

Other than the fact that Bitwig has a clip launcher and it’s own form of racks, there is now a lot of difference between Live and Bitwig so the A versus B arguments are thining out, which is good, they are both great DAWs, pick the one that suits your workflow.
i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

machinesworking
KVRAF
1584 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 pm

SLiC wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:55 pm
Other than the fact that Bitwig has a clip launcher and it’s own form of racks, there is now a lot of difference between Live and Bitwig so the A versus B arguments are thining out, which is good, they are both great DAWs, pick the one that suits your workflow.
Hmm? No, that's not happening anytime soon. Bitwig and Live are more alike than they're like other DAWs, that's not even up for debate. You're forgetting a lot of similarities to separate them IMO.

Until DP10 or some other DAW gets as comprehensive support for Clips and scene launching, until another DAW integrates something like Max, or builds it's own modular environment like Bitwig is doing etc. etc. Until then Bitwig will be compared to Live. Not unlike how Logic, DP, Studio One and Cubase get compared, or how FL Studio, and Reason, or how MPC and Maschine get compared ad infinitum.

Or how someone steps in to mention Reaper! :hihi:

SLiC
KVRAF
3416 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:23 am

All I know is that when I used Live (9) I only ever used it for working with clips....with Bitwig 80% of the time I am using it as a normal DAW without touching clips, that’s a very different animal for me.
i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

machinesworking
KVRAF
1584 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Bitwig 2.5 final is out

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:03 pm

SLiC wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:23 am
All I know is that when I used Live (9) I only ever used it for working with clips....with Bitwig 80% of the time I am using it as a normal DAW without touching clips, that’s a very different animal for me.
Feature wise no other DAWs are as similar, it's not by accident, we all know this, it's not a big deal.

Logic and Cubase for years were tied at the hip because Emagic came from Steinberg. At some point it won't seem like a total direct comparison, but to this day Logic and Cubase are the most likely DAWs that people will argue which is better, with the new contenders like Reaper, Studio One etc. in tow...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”