The cool synth demo thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3802 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:05 pm

Sometimes them YouTubers just make an extra effort to demo a synth or make a cool jam with just a few of them. Compared to the self-promo spammers, I think they deserve a little attention.

When scanning youtube for vids about Roland SH-32, this one came up: Just a little catchy pop song that can be enjoyed if you can take the autotune in the verse, but obviously a fine piece of work just for the purpose of demoing a synth. I love when people take time to demonstrate how much can be carried by one synth alone.
I will post it, and then I hope some of you will supply with other good examples. I think of demos of softsynths or hardware, or good synth jams from tou tube with few synths - lets say max three.

So here is the little Enigma like tune in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GrYCHzEj58

IncarnateX
KVRAF

Re: The cool synth demo thread

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:02 am

Fine. No worries. I will keep this thread going myself and pretend to speak to a major crowd of admirers and followers among which all the pretty girls PM me 24-7 and beg me to be father of their children, so they can benefit from my gene pool.

Now, I have always liked this performance, which takes some of the best out of a pretty crappy sound engine imo. Have owned the RMx1 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJWlxgoS6-E

jancivil
KVRAF
17948 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:03 pm

I'm glad I'm not stuck in the 20th century, this is passing sad

Delta Sign
KVRian
654 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Do modular systems count? :hihi:

I particularly like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRc48ADNJt0

IncarnateX
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:35 pm

jancivil wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:03 pm
I'm glad I'm not stuck in the 20th century, this is passing sad
I do not believe the demos are that far from being from the 20th century themselves, so “stuck” may be too harsh to them. No need to despair. Never mind the age of the music, it is more about how they drag it from one piece of gear only.

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:23 pm

You lost me at 'autotune' though. I think the Roland demo is supposed to be kind of Space 1999 aesthetically. Isn't that before autotune?

I saw a Roland 'vintage synth' and had an allergic reaction, sorry. Yeah, it doesn't sound very good to me. Do the emulations null, is where the real interest comes in today, isn't it.

the Yamaha bit is kinda cool but it's state-of-the-art 1999. No, actually it is kind of impressive all out of one box like that.
But
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLAsBzOOhLQ

IncarnateX
KVRAF

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:06 am

jancivil wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:23 pm
You lost me at 'autotune' though. I think the Roland demo is supposed to be kind of Space 1999 aesthetically. Isn't that before autotune?
Yes, that autotune was an odd and bad choice. He has a fine voice to carry it without like he does in the chorus. The Egnima style he is aiming for otherwise is early 90 before autotune. Though, pop is pop and simply cannot be taken beyond that. Thus, the warning in the OP. I was impressed by his simple but effective arrangement, his choices of sounds from it, the layers of vocal in the chorus he has taken time to work out and his production and sound. All just to demonstrate a synth that was a poor samplebased excuse for a VA when it was released. Was completely rejected as a poor man’s JP8000. Foolish comparison. It has its own charm and in these desktop module times, it has been revived on its on terms.

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:18 am

People around here seem to really go for that kind of thing. I have no nostalgia for the era whatsoever and never liked Roland synths.
I bought one of the XV rack synths in 2003, not really believing in computers yet. It had a couple of serviceable sounds but got old but fast.

IncarnateX
KVRAF

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 am

I grew up with Roland, there were no escape from these units on our second hand market if you wanted an affordable synth or drum machine of decent quality. I have owned and used the JP4, SH101, TR707 and TR626, Alpha Juno 1, W30 Workstation, JV1010, JP8000, sh32, MC303, MC505, MC909. Cannot escape a basic preference if these have driven your game. OK with me. They had their time but it all ended with JDXi with me. My retro buy of R8 is another deal.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”