Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

I still get error messages after installing Surge on Mac / El Capitan.. says it's not installed properly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bbreakz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:52 am I still get error messages after installing Surge on Mac / El Capitan.. says it's not installed properly
start by wiping both /Library/Application Support/Surge/* and /Users/you/Library/Application Support/Surge

while all music apps are closed
then go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ and wipe Components/Surge.component and VST/Surge.vst and VST3/Surge.vst3 and then go to /Users/you/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins and wipe Components/Surge.component and VST/Surge.vst and VST3/Surge.vst3

then re-run the installer and see what happens after successful install.

good luck!

layzer wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:13 pmadd to it the wav loading of v1.5
Query, what happens if you drag in a 50mb wavefile, as opposed to a oneshot wavefile? could you take some screenshots of what the 50mb wavefile looks like, etc? Would really help :)

esaruoho wrote:Query, what happens if you drag in a 50mb wavefile, as opposed to a oneshot wavefile? could you take some screenshots of what the 50mb wavefile looks like, etc? Would really help :)
I think its safe to assume that a 50MB file simply wouldnt load at all because it would be way longer than what the plugin accepts.

As ive pointed out on page 37, Surge does not take WAVs longer than 2.728 seconds. If they are shorter than that then Surge will load them, but even then the maximum length played seems to be around 20,480 samples.

Example: I take a sample from the pinball machine Fire Power, in this case the word 'Accomplished'. The format is PCM signed 16 bit, 44100 Hz, 1411 kbps, stereo. The sample is precisely 0.980726 seconds long, or 43,250 in samples. Surge loads the WAV just fine, but it does not play the sample all the way to the end. When triggered it only plays up to about 'Accom' and then it stops, i.e. the 'plished' is not being played. Checking how much that is in samples it would seem that Surge plays about 20,480 of the 43,250 total, which would make sense since 20,480 is a multiple of 2048.

Repeating this test with another WAV gives the exact same result. This time using a sample of the word 'Destroyed', same source and format as above. The length of the WAV in this case is 0.967256 seconds or 42,656 samples. Again Surge only plays up to about 'Destro' while the 'yed' is being omitted. Checking how much that is in samples it again seems to be 20,480 of the 42,656 total.

So i guess the upshot is this:

- WAVs must not be longer than 2.728 seconds or they wont load at all

- WAVs up to 2.728 seconds will load but only the first 20,480 samples will be played

- The 20,480 samples that are being played will be split into x amount of frames controllable via the 'Shape' slider*

(*In this case used to set the 'start-frame'.)

esaruoho wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:02 am
bbreakz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:52 am I still get error messages after installing Surge on Mac / El Capitan.. says it's not installed properly
start by wiping both /Library/Application Support/Surge/* and /Users/you/Library/Application Support/Surge

then go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ and wipe Components/Surge.component and VST/Surge.vst and VST3/Surge.vst3 and then go to /Users/you/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins and wipe Components/Surge.component and VST/Surge.vst and VST3/Surge.vst3

good luck!
Thanks will try this!

esaruoho wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:02 am

good luck!
BIGGGGG Thank you!!! That worked :hyper:

ok guys, here is my 5th wavetable set in the series, XLZ_ORG
32 new wavetables to help you make some killer organ sounds with SURGE!
have fun with them and dont forget to modulate the shape
parameter with an envelope or LFO!
enjoy! :party:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/d39o9e

on the horizon is set #6 VOC2 vocal set
stay tuned!
Last edited by layzer on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

layzer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:05 pm ok guys, here is my 5th wavetable set in the series, XLZ_ORG
32 new wavetables to help you make some killer organ sounds with SURGE!
have fun with them and dont forget to modulate the shape
parameter with an envelope or LFO!
enjoy! :party:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/d39o9e

on the horizon is set #6 VOC2 vocal set
stay tuned!
Very generous of you Layzer. Can't wait for the vocal set.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:31 pm Seems pretty buggy. It doesn't remember the zoom setting in FL Studio when you close/reopen the interface. And in FL and Studio One it crashes when opening some Access Virus wavetables I have that work fine in Icarus.
its going through some growing pains thats for sure...
at this point its "try it, if it works good in your daw, great...if not use icarius or something else"
i use version 1.5 with EXT2 with zero issues.

layzer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:41 pm its going through some growing pains thats for sure...
Hear hear.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thats how it goes with open source...you got some nice people
putting work into it on their free time to make it work for everyone.
no small feat. but for those that it does play well, oh what fun.

Vortifex wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:31 pm Seems pretty buggy. It doesn't remember the zoom setting in FL Studio when you close/reopen the interface. And in FL and Studio One it crashes when opening some Access Virus wavetables I have that work fine in Icarus.
could you send me over the access virus wavetables to esaruoho@gmail.com so we can have a look

Return to “Instruments”