A New DAW Never Seen Before

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well at least by me anyway..... :D

Looks interesting....

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

What is it? Link?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Looks like a Linux DAW. Rosegarden?

Ok, found it... https://non.tuxfamily.org/

"Non DAW"

:D

Cool, not even binaries were made by the developer. Gotta love Linux. Musicians just loooove to compile their own binaries.

I love the stacked mixer channels, I've yet to see that in any other DAW's. :)
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:24 pm Cool, not even binaries were made by the developer. Gotta love Linux. Musicians just loooove to compile their own binaries.
:party:

:hihi:

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:12 pm I love the stacked mixer channels, I've yet to see that in any other DAW's. :)
No problem, even if you won´t like it.... but of course Reaper has an option for that:
Show multiple rows if size permits:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It's neat feature, just a shame about the other aspects of Reaper. An aspect I'd like to see in Studio One, given the emphasis of a single monitor workflow.

Not sure I'd trust a DAW with code like this:

Code: Select all

/* FIXME: what was this for? */
    if ( bO >= nframes )
    {
        cnt = 0;
        goto done;
    }

if ( len == 0 )
    {
        cnt = 0;
        goto done;
    }

Kidding aside (could've been my own code...), this is some pretty impressive undertaking for one person.
And that might be the biggest problem, if that one person loses interest or for some other reason cannot continue working on the project, it is pretty much dead.

Bus factor.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

fese is right, it's a one-man project of medium quality. There is a good risk that you encounter a bug which won't be fixed or new bugs are introduced, too. Either way, not a good idea to start your own music project with this DAW.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

fese wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:43 pm Not sure I'd trust a DAW with code like this:

Code: Select all

if ( bO >= nframes )
    {
        cnt = 0;
        goto done;
    }

if ( len == 0 )
    {
        cnt = 0;
        goto done;
    }

Kidding aside (could've been my own code...), this is some pretty impressive undertaking for one person.
And that might be the biggest problem, if that one person loses interest or for some other reason cannot continue working on the project, it is pretty much dead.
Wouldn't surprise me if there's stuff like this lurking in the code of Cubase, Bitwig or any other closed-source DAW. For better or worse, we never get to peek under the hood of those proprietary DAWs... :phones:

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:27 pm
fese wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:43 pmKidding aside (could've been my own code...), this is some pretty impressive undertaking for one person.
That's why I passed on Mulab.
This said, large projects can also fail : think of Sonar, or Logic bought by Apple and no more developed for Windows. In the other hand a one man project, if it is open source and well documented can be enhanced and forked, so... shades.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Wouldn't surprise me if there's stuff like this lurking in the code of Cubase, Bitwig or any other closed-source DAW.
Ableton once mentioned they have "over 800 automatic tests" checked before every release. Unit tests assure random bugs are not introduced to old code, and in fact Ableton quality improved over years.

So yes, some professionals do it professionally. Not every piece of code in this world is a pile of crap :hail:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”