Kemper alternatives

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm looking for pro software alternatives for the Kemper amp.

I just know guitar rig pro 5. Do you know any other professional, excellent quality alternatives?

Thank you!

It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

Not guitar rig :)

Mercuriall is one of the best out there these days.

Bias FX. Especially combined with Bias Amp.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Hope it doesn't come across the wrong way, but there isn't anything that is a kemper, some nice choices though.

My recommendation is set aside some time and demo the crud out of them. One mans junk is another mans pleasure.

There are a ton of guitar amp modelers, but nothing that does the profile thing. Not that I’m aware of. Also, I’m not aware of anything that matches, or even comes close to, the quality of the Kemper except for the AxeFX. I’m not against software, and I use it a lot, but when it comes to good tone, hardware is a better way to go. If you can’t afford either of those, look into a Valvulator DI.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

As it stands, there is nothing exactly like Kemper in terms of capturing an exact signal chain from a real amp. They are some alternatives, but all have some compromises to a degree. Kemper captures "dynamic" profiles and as such the whole chain is much more nuanced than amp modelers that use static snapshots. You can hear way more depth, tone, more lively mids, and richer bass frequencies. Furthermore, the playability will differ as playing through a Kemper will have greater sensitivity to your pick dynamics (more responsiveness to how hard you dig in) and much more dynamic response and wider palette of sounds when you roll off both the volume and tone knobs.

With that said, here is just a short list of popular alternatives that aim for something similar to the profile concept - they rely on capturing the eq curves but don't quite have the same dynamic response or lively sound and feel as the Kemper.

Bias FX (hardware and software) - has technology that allows you to match the eq curves of a particular track
Peavey Revalver 4 - has technology that allows you to match the eq curves of a particular track
Izotope Ozone - (not an amp modeler but allows you to match the eq curve of a particular track and paste it on to the sound of the new track)

Axe FX (hardware) - claimed to have component level amp modeling but it doesn't sound or play exactly like the real thing, the eq curve matching technology gets you closer in the ballpark but doesn't really doesn't sound or feel quite as dynamic as Kemper

Mercuriall Amps - Aims to sound more dynamic by modeling the interaction of the power amp with the speaker cabinet

Revalver 4 - Aims to sound more dynamic by modeling the interaction of the power amp with the speaker cabinet

Scuffham S-Gear - Sounds more dynamic but not so realistic imho - way thinner sounding than a real amp to the point where it can sound hollow, the dynamic response when playing is more of a caricature, every note seems to bounce off the strings in an unrealstic way and it sounds a bit too spongey

IK Multimedia - IMO the newer modeled aims really seem to nail the character of each modeled amp as well as any amp modeler, not going to sound exactly the same as a real amp but gets you really close in the ballpark, comparatively a real amp has a more resonate in the bass frequencies and more open sounding (pretty much all amp modelers sound boxy in the midrange when compared to a real amp

Overloud Th3 - Really manages to nail the tone of amps as well as any amp modeler, doesn't quite sound as "alive" or dynamic as some of the other ones like Mercuriall or Revalver for instance

Recabinet - And last but not least.... this beast really gets you in the ballpark. the tone and character are close enough but what really stands out is how dynamic this amp modeler sounds when used in conjunction with the Recabinet cabinet section. The power amp modeled into the suite just gives this amp modeler a sense of liveliness that punches above the competition.

Shane has a not so secret follow-up to Recabinet that should be coming out later this year that will use his latest proprietary technologies. It promises to sound even more dynamic. I can't wait.

For what it's worth, Steve Fricker did some reviews on this on YouTube and well... his conclusion is that nothing is quite like the Kemper and was highly disappointed in Axe FX, given the hype. He could tolerate the AXE FX better after using the amp matching technology but it's still not in the same ballpark as Kemper. However, he was thoroughly impressed by Recabinet and surprised that something could sound so good coming from software.

Hope this post helps. It should help you get started.

AC222 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:40 pm Steve Fricker...
Glenn. :band: :phones:

glenn fricker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Did you have to ruin my dinner :x

Lol. I must have had too many drinks. Indeed it is Glenn. I know a Steve by the same name :dog:

TH-3 is the only software solution I know of that includes Kemper-like amp profiles via it's rig player. The rig player module let's you load up entire amp signal chains that were captured and profiled. According to Steven Slate on Gearslutz, Overloud can even convert Kemper profiles to rig player profiles. Overloud already put out a British amps rig player expansion, which sounds excellent. Look forward to seeing more. Hopefully they open up profiling to everyone too so we can profile our own rigs.

AC222 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:29 am Lol. I must have had too many drinks. Indeed it is Glenn. I know a Steve by the same name :dog:
That guy is like listening to a vacuum cleaner moded to go to 11. Or extreme titanium on a chalk board.

reggie, you don't like Glenn? I think he's hilarious lol :hyper: . to each his own i guess

also, thanks for the info on THU. I must have been sleeping at the wheel on that too. I have TH3 but didn't realize that THU was also providing profiles. when i read the upgrade e-mail thought it was just a bunch of new amp models like the Pantera amp.

Not a fan. He's right .13 % of the time and acts like he's more important than toilet paper. He's funny though he doesn't try to be.

Of course, he's nowhere near as bad as Stevie t.

Oh my, they are both from Canada. Explains a lot.

Return to “Effects”