Extending Key ranges in kontakt

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

How do I extend a key range in kontakt?

I have an instrument- Horns with Trombones Octaves from ProjectSam Orchestral essentials 2. The highest note i can play is D#4. I want to extend it to F#4. How do I do that?

Thanks

bump

When it comes to brass stuff range is limited and probably no samples there in the range you request.
So it's not a midi range thing only, I mean.

It usually means going from tenor instrument to alt instrument, or similar.

Check out this diagram
http://www.guitarbuilding.org/wp-conten ... -Chart.pdf

But doing pitch correction with some plugins, maybe you can get a result you are ok with.
If you have full access to the libraries inner parts, you can do this in sampler to resample pitch over more notes. I tried that with a library I had, but there were passwords to get access to that.

Some libraries with violins I have are clearly cheap in that they just resample pitch many notes on the same sample - and result is not nice.

So I would combine instruments that overlap enough, or similar.

can't you do it in kontakt itself?

Yes, you can set the range each sample is supposed to cover - but as I mentioned, it's usually password protected for commercials libraries.

I dropped Kontakt some five years ago, so don't remember if in groups or the sample itself you set the range.

You go to Mapping Editor and drag the zone(s) to cover the new area, for the quick answer. A minor third might not be too bad. If it is, you will have to perform some kind of useful stretch maneuver. RTFM. (Kontakt's) F4 is pretty much considered top of the range, so what you want here may be more 'trumpet' or 'flugelhorn' or like that.

For a realistic expectation, it's too high for that kind of library. They didn't sample it, pay heed to that.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:49 pm You go to Mapping Editor and drag the zone(s) to cover the new area, for the quick answer. A minor third might not be too bad. If it is, you will have to perform some kind of useful stretch maneuver. RTFM. (Kontakt's) F4 is pretty much considered top of the range, so what you want here may be more 'trumpet' or 'flugelhorn' or like that.

For a realistic expectation, it's too high for that kind of library. They didn't sample it, pay heed to that.
I did try that. But I still I don't hear any sound when I play those notes.

Probably zone edit limitation due to advanced scripting.

A workaround could be to record the D#4 note and then create a new instrument and place the sample/zone and stretch it to F#4.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

lfm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:27 pm Yes, you can set the range each sample is supposed to cover - but as I mentioned, it's usually password protected for commercials libraries.
Not in my experience. I went through several just now and only one of them presented this problem; Kontakt Factory, Orchestral Tools, SonicCouture several things no prob, The Giant wouldn't sound past Kontakt's C7. Which is high enough.

The only thing I know to do is save the samples uncompressed and drag the highest into Mapping Editor and transpose.
That might be locked somehow, which is above my pay grade.
But that note is passing high for a trombone and it's a virtuoso who is even going to reach for it. I recommend reconsidering the move.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”