2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sry, that’s from left to right, sampler, mixer/utility, tape delay, vco/lfo, vcf/vca/mixer... in a nutshell.

pekbro wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm Sry, that’s from left to right, sampler, mixer/utility, tape delay, vco/lfo, vcf/vca/mixer... in a nutshell.
Very nice units...
BUT your'e a PITA pekbro...
I had to go onto ModularGrid to look them up..
AND... guess what. I finally created an account
and one thing lead to another...
I am now virtually bankrupt....

:x
BUT
:D
:wink:

:hihi:

pekbro wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm Sry, that’s from left to right, sampler, mixer/utility, tape delay, vco/lfo, vcf/vca/mixer... in a nutshell.
look forward to hearing it all :)

This year, so far, has been a pretty tumultuous gear year so far... I'm not even sure if I can remember it all... basically, I got a job that requires me to be working on on call until 10pm most nights, so I moved my gear out of the spare bedroom/office/studio and into an unused part of our dining room (which is oddly enormous). I took that hardship as an opportunity to do a "makeover." Not just for ergonomics (which mine were pretty crappy) but for aesthetics as well.

First, THE PURGE. GONE:
  • Tetras: Love the sound, but too much overlap with the filter of the Tempest.

Tempest: This one hurt. I love the tone of this synth, but since finally getting a poly pressure controller, it bugged me that it's the one DSI synth that doesn't accept it.

Bass Station 2: I really like that one, but I admit that it's space was better spent with something leaning more towards the analog side of things with a lot of modulation options.

Micromonsta: Probably didn't need to get rid of this, but when push came to shove, a VST like Dune 3 really is just as good and a lot more.

TS-10: For "vintage" 90s wavetable and polyphonic aftertouch.
Then the replacements!
  • Prophet 12 Module: On it's way, to replace the Tetras and Tempest.

Microvolt 3900: Bought to augment the Pro 2. It didn't really work out how I imagined, so that got sold.

GEM S2: To replace the TS-10. The TS-10 was supposed to replace the Micromonsta and give me a polyat controller, but the aftertouch had become too stiff to comfortably use and the Transwaves didn't really do it for me as they once did.

Dominion 1: To replace the Bass Station and Microvolt 3900
So... on deck...
  • Peak... maybe. I have to see if I can comfortably fit it.

Microfreak I think that will fit nicely in the keyboard tray of one of my desks.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Thx. I had to put the Make Noise stuff off till next time. It was a tough call, but this makes more sense for now. Also there’s a sale :)

vurt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:22 pm nice! that magneto sounds fun :tu:
don't know the others, but they look cool :hihi: lots of jack sockets :love: usually means lots of "hands off" fun too :D
the first one is a 1010 bitbox; sorta like a mini Ableton Live in a module.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

pekbro wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:17 pm This is what I finally decided on, will pay for it tomorrow if all goes well, (some specs missing
for the vampire). So yeah, maybe a little vurtish modular :D Funny, not one make noise module
this time around.
Nice, Subcon gear, Magneto and Cold Mac will be fun.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:17 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:22 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:26 am The Sensel Morph arrived last week, and they were kind enough to send the developer cable that I initially forgot to order under the same free postage as my original order, (instead of $20 postage for a $14 cable) so I got that midweek.
And my Volca Modular arrived today.
How are you finding the Volca Modular?
Im rather enjoying it, its kinda remarkable how much they've got into that wee form factor.
Good to hear. I have one on my wishlist so hope to have it in the coming weeks.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

The bitbox is cool, it changes into different units depending on the loaded firmware. For those who don’t know that.

The ER-301 would be cool as well, more expensive and harder to get though.

vurt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:38 pmhow do you deal with gravity?
Oh, wow, heavy, maaaaaan!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

meldavid wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:34 pmI sometimes put keyboards & mixers on their side, like you do with Playstations. Clears up space.
Which side? I like my Analog Keys because it is literally a big, metal box and I can stand it on any side I like but none of my other synths or my mixer have that luxury. They only sit one way.
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 pmMicromonsta: Probably didn't need to get rid of this, but when push came to shove, a VST like Dune 3 really is just as good and a lot more.
I don't think I could do that. To me, Micromonsta is like a Korg Triton in a tiny box. Obviously it's not but they have packed so much into it that it feels like something that should be the width of your boot/trunk. It also has a completely different character to DUNE, I reckon. It will be interesting to see how much work I can throw at it when we start getting organised for gigs.
Peak... maybe. I have to see if I can comfortably fit it.
If you decide to get one, make sure you put the screws on them for a good price. Word is that it's not selling as well as expected, so shops may have lots of stock to get rid of.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

pekbro wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:41 pm The bitbox is cool, it changes into different units depending on the loaded firmware. For those who don’t know that.
Yup; Ive not tried the other firmwares yet myself though.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The winning powerball ticket.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:04 am
pekbro wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:41 pm The bitbox is cool, it changes into different units depending on the loaded firmware. For those who don’t know that.
Yup; Ive not tried the other firmwares yet myself though.
Nice! The other thing I'm getting from 1010 is the euroshield, which you would
probably like as well. If you don't have it already, anyway :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”