any future for MacBooks in music production ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote:Q.E.D.
Can’t say I’m surprised though
Sweet child in time...

I'm not a fan of Apple per se, and I have said a few quite critical things.
I could tell you about certain issues currently if the need arose. However in comparison with the rest of my experience, the current system is a vast improvement, and is so even measuring the money I put into it.

Some criticisms, I'm looking at BONES here, are nonsense, not based in good reasoning at all, and sometimes people notice it. :shrug: Your work computer trumps everything... this one shouldn't be that shocking given the source but it is kind of surprising.

If windows had core audio and the same easy plug n´play i get with almost all midi devices and whatever and things like IDAM where i just plug in my iPhone or iPad and use it as audio and/or midi device i would think about a switch....maybe.
Not sure about these ARM rumors. For now no iOS music app can run on multiple cores when it comes to real-time audio. Not sure if it is an iOS and/or ARM limitation.
Means all your plug-ins and apps will run always on a single core for now, even on the latest and greatest iPad pro.
In general a lot apps seems very well optimized on iOS compared to other platforms (hello Korg) and support might be more easy for developers but i do not expect ARM devices to replace even better notebooks yet. Maybe if they solve that, put a proper cooling system in it and add 16 cores or so :D
I personally would love a mac/iOS hybrid where iOS os driven by ARM and could coexist with mac on one device.
So far i will use my macbook pro from 2013 as long as i can....still no faulty keys or something else there. Maybe i try to get one of the last good ones (for me the 2015 maxed out) for a good price.
But Apple´s ARM devices are lightyears ahead in terms of music tools compared to all other smartphones and tablets. Windows multi-touch is a pain to use compared to it.
But if Apple goes this way ARM/iOS developers might be happy and a lot apps are already on par with big brands mac/windows apps. Maybe time to consider some R&D before it is too late....

I prefer Apple :)

*ducks from incoming barrage*
Signatures are so early 2000s.

At the end of the day, if there was something like a proper pc/mac it would not be measured in terms of more or lesser problems/issues and countless clasches in this regard. We seldomly discuss which fork is good for eating dinner or not because forks made with this intention usually work for all practical purposes. If either PC or MACs or both worked like that, the issue would be solved. Nothing to discuss.

Anyone having problems with the T2 chip, see if 10.14.4 fixed it. One of the fixes in the update is:

"Improves the reliability of USB audio devices when used with MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini models introduced in 2018"
Image Image Image Image

Yeah, composing and mixing with all of this power can be reduced to a fork used for exactly the one thing.

I don't have a lot of problems and easily an occasional crash and some management of a system beats the alternative by several billion light years.

Proper Computer was, however just silly posturing, and who knows what drives that crap.

The Windows vs. Mac comparison is a non-sequitur anyway. The original question is specifically about the future of Macs in music production.
Sweet child in time...

Thought that somebody would say that about forks and music production. :hihi:

But do not underestimate forks, they have not been around always and have had their evolution until perfection. :uhuhuh:

All I am saying is that PC/MACs are in the beginning of their own evolution will not find rest in a near future. I simply go for the devil I know, and that would be PC to me. No poor student of my time could afford MACs, so we became involontary experts on the mess of windows instead. Service also cost a lot to poor students these days, so you had to learn yourself.

sprnva wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am Anyone having problems with the T2 chip, see if 10.14.4 fixed it. One of the fixes in the update is:

"Improves the reliability of USB audio devices when used with MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini models introduced in 2018"
Wow... They released a fix?... And it "only" took them SIX MONTHS to do it?

Don't worry... in six months from now they will release ANOTHER OS version, and will f*ck everything (again) :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

"the devil I know"

I was looking for something which didn't do any computer except for the purpose of running the plugins and the one thing which existed by that time has really died a death, and was too slow even for the time. No one developed for it, it was just a windows box with a lot of services killed essentially.

I became not quite expert, but learned too many not-at-all-interesting things at that time, trying to make it more efficient; which is quite why I chose the other platform. To turn off things running in the background then was a single daemon called Process Wizard, and it didn't introduce instabilities like what I was doing in Windows Services appears to have been doing.

No computer is all that future-proof. It isn't of any use to me to speculate on this new model integrating iOS or whatever, the sky is always falling, you know.

"Don't worry... in six months from now they will release ANOTHER OS version, and will f*ck everything (again)"
:troll:

When on laptop I used Black Viper’s background service fixes to juice up the power. I see that he is still on it:
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/
Though, sooner or later I ran into troubles if I had turned off the wrong ones.

I also remember a Swedish company 10 years ago who tried to make music dedicated PC laptops by removing everything, including physical components, that would hinder music programs to run smoothly. Do not know what happened to them but they are not in game today seemingly. Though, I still like the idea about dedicated laptops to make things even more stable. If I will go for it again, I shall have a PC for music only as first step toward happiness.

I followed the usual advisements and I was having to reinstall windows pretty frequently.

I forget the exact name of the one I mentioned but muse-something iirc. It had its own sub-forum here. I came close to buying one. Muse Receptor, they're still here.

If I have one of my recent Nuendo projects loaded, I may run into not enough something.something to watch youtube videos. The worst thing that happened recently is a realtime export balked, but this is a restart the f**king computer kind of a fix, there is no actual.good reason.

Do anyone have any experience with Open Labs workstations? They are running PCs. Would like to know about stability of these but I guess it depends on what you install in addition to the well tested software already onboard.

pirates of the caribbean explained

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”