One Synth Challenge #121: Any One Synth (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

z.prime wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:12 pmThanks, I'll make sure a ticket is entered. Is there a simple project you could send me that exhibits the issue regularly so I could attach it to the ticket for people to be able to diagnose easier?
Cheers, hmm, unfortunately it happens with any project, really. I even reproduced it with the init saw preset just now, without changing anything. If unlucky, it can happen right off the bat when you first load Surge. But these are the steps of what I just did:

1) Load Live 10
2) Load Surge on a track, no need to touch its contents afterwards
3) Record a short clip in the arrangement with some noodling (using init preset here)
4) Duplicate the track 3-4 times so that you have multiple Surges ready to play in the project
5) Save the project
6) Close the project ("New Live Set" in Live's File menu)
7) Open the project and try playing back what's there

If you repeat 6-7, there's a high probability some instances load bad and the project sounds like in my second example clip up there. Just now, I got it to corrupt the plugin states on two Surge instances on the second reload attempt like this ^

Anyway, sorry for the semi-off-topic, this is in no way to discourage OSCer trying Surge :D ... I think it's great in any case. Just a warning on these current betas, to those who happen to be using them in Live 10. As mentioned, it seems this happens just in that one, and in Reaper and Live 8 it's clean.

schiing wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 amPerfect match - talk about vaporwave!
Vaporwave from hell :D

OK. I am going to post up my submission now before I mess to much with it an ruin what I have!

[EDIT - well I did fiddle and pushed the bass a bit more - got sorta lost on speakers (strangely!)]

I have gone down the FREE route and used Synth1 which I found could make all the sounds I needed for this track. I hope you enjoy it and get up and do the LindyHop!

DAW: Reaper

Track details:
32 * Synth1
30 * ReaEQ
3 * Bass Professor Mark II
2 * Limiter No. 6
9 * JS MIDI Note Filter
3 * Oril River
1 * TAL Reverb 4
3 * TDR Kotelnikov

Master:
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Voxengo MSED
Loudmax
Limiter No. 6

Metering:
SPAN
Youlean Loudness Meter 2

dB

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... nth-synth1
Last edited by doctorbob on Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doctorbob wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:51 pm I have gone down the FREE route and used Synth1 which I found could make all the sounds I needed for this track. I hope you enjoy it and get up and do the LindyHop!
And a great demonstration of how far you can go with Synth1 or any Nord Lead II style plugin.

I have always been a fan of Discovery Pro(Linux) from my years working with the Nord Leads.

I still use Discovery Pro a lot. Synth1 doesn't easily run on Linux yet.

hi guys and girls first of all happy anniversary and good luck I present to the contest of onesynth challenge and I leave here the link after my description.

DAW USED LOGIC PRO X

SYNTHETIZER USED ELECTRAX

EQUALIZED CHANNELS 3 (LOGIC EQ CHANNELS).

I HOPE YOU LIKE IT ALREADY AVAILABLE IN SOUNDCLOUD

https://soundcloud.com/kike-de-santo/ki ... u-one-more

EDIT: Replaced my entry, the post now has updated specs

I don't think I'll have time to properly finish my track this month, so unless I post another version, this is my entry.

https://soundcloud.com/ilmai/ragtime-robot

Made entirely in Elektron Analog Four MkII with four voices and tracks, light mixing in Bitwig Studio 2.5.0.

Bitwig FX used:
1x EQ-5
1x Multiband FX-2
2x Dynamics

VST used:
1x Sonic Anomaly Unlimited

I'm quite happy with this cheerful little piece, shame I didn't have time to work more on it.
Last edited by ilmai on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think i saw somewhere that it is ok to use noise samples? The synth i am working in doesn't have a noise OSC, instead it uses samples. Happy to find a workaround if this is not permitted...but otherwise i will just use a white noise sample.
I assume 'rain' samples and the like are not permitted? would just be running in the same way serum runs its noise samples

Soundtrack for a sequence from a 70's European comic book "The Curious Trio", about the adventures of a Japanese engineer and her two compagnons.

Used Synth: u-he Bazille, 26 instances
Cubase 6.5
All FX from Bazille, except 2 instances of Cubase Delay

Mastered with:
Airwindows Console5
Airwindows Iron Oxide 5
Melda EQ
George Yongh's Limiter
Cubase Limiter
VoxengoSpan
Cubase SLM 128

https://soundcloud.com/thepresentmusic/ ... he-bazille

ThePresent wrote:u-he Bazille, 26 instances
... and your computer didn't catch fire!? Impressed!

DavidCarlyon wrote:I think i saw somewhere that it is ok to use noise samples? The synth i am working in doesn't have a noise OSC, instead it uses samples. Happy to find a workaround if this is not permitted...but otherwise i will just use a white noise sample.
"Single-cycle" wavetables are allowed, so I think things like Serum's noise oscillator when not replaying a long sample is acceptable.

z.prime wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 pm
ThePresent wrote:u-he Bazille, 26 instances
... and your computer didn't catch fire!? Impressed!
:D I got to 20 instances and then I had to bounce tracks, so yeah, my laptop almost went up in flames
Besides that, I had very few plugins working because Bazille basically has every FX’s I needed for this piece.

ThePresent wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:41 pm ... and your computer didn't catch fire!? Impressed!
:D I got to 20 instances and then I had to bounce tracks, so yeah, my laptop almost went up in flames
Besides that, I had very few plugins working because Bazille basically has every FX’s I needed for this piece.
I also used Bazille for my entry, but I didn't go crazy trying to use everything in a patch. Most one or two oscillators and not a lot of modules.

I think Bazille gets a bad rap because most of the demos contain stacks of oscillators and set to HQ
mode.
I find that stacking oscillators and /or running in HQ mode eats up resources more than anything and so I will bounce such a track immediately if a track needs that. But I rarely do that and stick to two or three oscillators at the most.

In the end I bounced some tracks so I could turn on HQ mode and not max out my low powered CPU at mix time.
Last edited by mclstr on Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://soundcloud.com/loris-solic/lori ... d-colonies

Created with DUNE 3 in Reaper - inspired by BladeRunner

33 instances of DUNE
ReaEQ
ReaComp
Limiter
ReaGate

I'm down because of a move, but not out! Getting back internet tonight, and music gear is quickly reassembled!

I've updated my track. Pushed the bass up coz it was very lacking.

Re-enjoy! 8)

dB

Return to “Instruments”