Modern FM8?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FM8

mrj1nx wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:21 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:14 pm
sinemotor wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:10 pm From what I've seen the upcoming synth from Kilohearts looks like a potential modular FM monster among other synthesis forms.

You can add as many VA, WT or sample oscillators as you want, modulate anything to anything including audio-rate modulations, add as much LFOs or Env as you want... and all is displayed on a single page.
How I am Just Learning About this??
What is THAT?? KHS Falcon? That looks Awesome!
Yeah it looks pretty cool, theres only one catch. You have to buy the insert fx separately for around 20-30 usd per piece.
No, there will be a fairly priced all-in bundle :)

And yeah, PP is awesome (I'm beta testing it) but I'm not thinking about it as an FM synth, more like something between Serum and FM8 in terms of FM capabilities.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

This sounds interesting.....

"Hybrid synthesis engine with analog simulation, wavetables, sampler, and noise generation"

It might not be what the OP is looking for but I'll be keeping my eye out for Phase Plant. :tu:

Anyway back to the search for FM........ :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:12 pmIt might not be what the OP is looking for...
OP addressed that very subject in a post immediately before yours ;) :P
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:56 pm And yeah, PP is awesome (I'm beta testing it) but I'm not thinking about it as an FM synth, more like something between Serum and FM8 in terms of FM capabilities.
But technically you can create an FM template with 6 (or 8, 16, whatever...) sinewave oscillators acting like FM operators and modulating each others, etc. You get the idea. But yes in that case Phase Plant is more like a modular FM and you don't have the proper "DX-like FM synth" interface.

sinemotor wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:56 pm And yeah, PP is awesome (I'm beta testing it) but I'm not thinking about it as an FM synth, more like something between Serum and FM8 in terms of FM capabilities.
But technically you can create an FM template with 6 (or 8, 16, whatever...) sinewave oscillators acting like FM operators and modulating each others, etc. You get the idea. But yes in that case Phase Plant is more like a modular FM and you don't have the proper "DX-like FM synth" interface.
Sure, but just glancing at the resulting web of modulations you won't be able to even guess what type of algorithm you have there - you need to hover over one thing to see what other things it modulates, etc. It's an awesome synth with analog modelling, wavetables, samples, FM, RM, AM, etc. but that's exactly the problem - if it's for everything, it's not the best at one single thing :D
Music tech enthusiast

Tone2 Nemesis is a more recent take on FM synthesis. I don't have it so cannot comment.

My favorite FM synth is Bazille. It is not a DX style FM synth ala FM8, but it sounds amazing... so strong and alive!

By the way, what would be a wishlist for a next gen FM monster? High on my list is FM based resynthesis & vocoder style effect.

Btw, A tip for FM8, the so called easy page is very powerful, well worth learning how to use and master, it can generate some very nice modulations.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:15 pm Tone2 Nemesis is a more recent take on FM synthesis. I don't have it so cannot comment.

My favorite FM synth is Bazille. It is not a DX style FM synth ala FM8, but it sounds amazing... so strong and alive!
Bazille? I'm a New U-he Convert (He got me with the NI Deal and now I have Major GAS for some of his other stuff). I'll have to try that out and play with it. I have a weird fondness of FM Synthesis so if its as good as you say Ill have to see it...

Ugh that means I will have to choose between Hive2, Bazille, or Zebra...

Or maybe all three because Pfft who needs Money :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

The funny thing is I know fm8, Arturia dx7, Dexed quite well, and imho Dexed is the best.

NI FM8: 64 bit arpeggiator bug is still there, imho it's DISTURBING. I switch the arp off on every preset i use.
Arturia DX7: GUI is better than the FM8, but the cpu handling is BAD. Cpu usage remains on high levels without hitting more notes... I simply uninstalled this vsti.
Dexed: sounds best, cpu usage is OK, that's it.

NI should create a new version of FM8, say FM9.
Arturia shoud make the DX7 cpu usage as low as their other instruments, that behave good.
Dexed should have a more modern gui.

dune_rave wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:37 pm The funny thing is I know fm8, Arturia dx7, Dexed quite well, and imho Dexed is the best.
Have to agree here. Dexed is ugly and clunky, but it's surprisingly versatile, and it always gives me the FM sounds that I want.

I discovered Dexed when I was looking for synthesizer replica. I don't know if it's better then FM8 that is also a replica of Yamaha DX 7. But I like it. Except that I have trouble finding libraries from the real instrument to use in Dexed.

I also found another replica called DX7 V. But it is very expensive.

Nina

DX7 V is the Arturia one mentioned earlier in the thread.

Image-Line Sytrus is by far the best option available in my opinion. It's also the most powerful in terms of free routing and synthesis.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Not freeware. Bad for me.

Nina

IMHO and as a big-time lover of FM synthesis who has tried them all, I still feel strongly that FM8 is the best option there is. It's easy to program, very deep, has amazing presets to learn from...I could go on. From reading above I guess there's an arpeggiator bug, but I don't like arps so this has never bothered me :P

I also love Bazille. It's not a 'traditional' FM synth, but it certainly can do FM very, very well, and is a lot of fun to program once you nail down the modular basics.

-M

Return to “Instruments”