Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

plexuss wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:56 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 pm And the problem for developers is only going to get worse as time goes on. They are going to have to come out with some really unique items to make any dent at all.
This is a good thing. :phones:
For us, yes. For them, not so much.

thelizard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:45 pm Thanks everyone! The developer tools are awesome. I'm having a lot of fun making these on weekends or when I'm traveling (the rest of the week I spend full-time on Unfiltered), so hopefully I can get another volume out with some of the other sequencers from Euro Reakt.
bharris22 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 pm How long will the intro price on the HetrickCV Volume 1 last?
The $30 price is its regular price. The $180 listing is the cost of the individual modules in the bundle. Sorry for the confusion!
Thanks!

And I think the Hetrick bundle has some unique stuff, for instance the Analog to digital, Crackle, Bitshift, Delta and Waveshaper certainly don't overlap with any existing modules I can think off.

Gone soft wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:05 pm And I think the Hetrick bundle has some unique stuff, for instance the Analog to digital, Crackle, Bitshift, Delta and Waveshaper certainly don't overlap with any existing modules I can think off.
You apparently don't own everything.

plexuss wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:56 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 pm And the problem for developers is only going to get worse as time goes on. They are going to have to come out with some really unique items to make any dent at all.
This is a good thing. :phones:
:tu: Darwinism

wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 pm You apparently don't own everything.
Oh, inform me of which modules are equivalents then.

Which module replaces Crackle in "broken" mode?

Which module replaces "Analog to digital" with eight outputs?

Replacement for Bitshift?

Replacement for the Delta module?

Go ahead, actually enlighten me.

For the Flip Flop, the best place to start is simply with the T section. Just think "T for Toggle". Whenever In T receives a trigger or gate, the output FFT (Flip Flop Toggle) gate will change state between on or off (and !FFT will always be the opposite).

This is useful for creating long gates in a number of ways. One thing you can do is attach a MIDI gate to In T. Now, when you tap a key on your keyboard, you can activate something, and then tap again to deactivate it.

One particularly good synergy for this is Boolean Logic. Plug a gate sequence that you want to toggle on/off into In A. Plug FFT out into In B. Now, the AND input will have your In A gate sequence whenever FFT is high.

Typing all this out, I just noticed that FFT output isn't behaving correctly... it's oscillating! Let me go implement a fix! :dog:

EDIT: Okay, fix pushed. Looks like it auto-downloads when you restart Voltage Modular. Man, I love these developer tools.

EDIT 2: Now that that's fixed :lol:
To get the FFT working well with Stop/Start on the Cherry Sequencers (Drum and Eight-Step), plug FFT into Start, and !FFT into Stop. Now, you can toggle playback from a single trigger or gate.

Gone soft wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:19 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 pm You apparently don't own everything.
Oh, inform me of which modules are equivalents then.

Which module replaces Crackle in "broken" mode?

Which module replaces "Analog to digital" with eight outputs?

Replacement for Bitshift?

Replacement for the Delta module?

Go ahead, actually enlighten me.
Crackle was given away for free.

Analog to digital. Who cares. I have no analog hardware that I need to plug into this thing. 8 outputs? Plenty of choices.

Bitshift? There's something in one of the collections with bit manipulation. Don't recall offhand which one.

Delta, from reading the description, is very similar to one of the modules in either the Bernard or Andrew Mac collections.

In fact, go and look at the Bernard and Andrew Mac collections at all the generative music stuff in them.

Right now, there is nothing I can't do that I'd so desperately need anything in this collection to allow me to do it.

Exact replacements? Maybe not. But close enough that I don't need to spend the money. And I am sure that if I feel this way (I am a modular synth junkie going back to the 70s) I'll bet the house that the majority of folks out there feel the same way.

And like I said, as time goes by, it's only going to get worse.

VM is going to have to come out with stuff similar to what SM came out with as far as 3rd party stuff to really get people interested now that the store is as saturated as it is.

But I am very happy for you that you find enough value in this package to spend the $30 even though you own everything else.

I don't. Not even close.

Bad hair day?

wags, I would think you'd be happy that you don't need to buy something. :clown:

inkling wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:54 pm Bad hair day?
Not at all. I'm taking a strictly analytical look at what's available for this platform. There is a TON of overlap between this collection and what's already out there. And what's even slightly different isn't different or exciting enough to open my wallet for. I guarantee you that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

And like I said twice already, this situation is only going to get worse for developers.

I mean seriously, how many more gate manipulators do we need?

pekbro wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:58 pm wags, I would think you'd be happy that you don't need to buy something. :clown:
I'm very happy. In fact, I don't see myself getting much else for this platform if this is what we can expect. Which is fine. The $600 plus that I've spent already is more than enough.

And you know what? Most people don't even have all that I own of this platform. In fact, most people are very selective. Much more so than I've been.

SM modules sell better. I know this for a fact. Why? Because the stuff they've come out with is truly unique. There's not a lot of it and development is slow as molasses, but when they DO come out with something, it's something that people jump all over.

We've yet to see anything like the Intellijel, Mutable Instruments, Buchla or 4ms modules. That's what's going to get people excited. Not yet another gate or bit manipulator.

IMHO there is always something to be said for design and know-how. Personally, I see Michael as
something of an authority when it comes to this sort of thing. For me that makes things easy.
There is a lot of opportunity for artistic license in the realm of DSP, certainly, things are not
always going to be created equally. This doesn't mean things need to be better or worse at all either.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:51 pm Analog to digital. Who cares. I have no analog hardware that I need to plug into this thing. 8 outputs? Plenty of choices.

Bitshift? There's something in one of the collections with bit manipulation. Don't recall offhand which one.

Delta, from reading the description, is very similar to one of the modules in either the Bernard or Andrew Mac collections.
Analog to Digital takes any signal inside of Voltage Modular and converts it to an 8-bit representation. It's named Analog to Digital as it essentially does what an ADC does (plus, it's based off of the classic Nord Modular's Analog to Digital module, same for DAC...). The primary idea is that you can combine it with the Digital to Analog module to create custom bitwise distortions and processes. In particular, it works very well for reshaping LFOs into more exciting waveforms. It does not connect to analog hardware...

Digital to Analog is the same, as it's based off of the Nord Modular. You can plug any gates or audio that you want into it, and it will generate an "analog" signal. One recipe for this is that you can create a CV signal based on multiple gate streams.

By combining Analog to Digital, Digital to Analog, and Gate Junction, you can emulate the behavior of the XAOC Drezno + Expander Eurorack modules (although those run at a much higher clock speed).

I didn't find an equivalent for Delta or Bitshift anywhere in the store, but let me know if you find them.

One module that I would like to highlight in particular is Scanner (and yes, you'd still need it if you have a hardware scanner :lol: ) Scanner acts as an eight-channel animated mixer. You can use it as a switch, or you can use it as a mega crossfader. It can smoothly morph between eight different inputs, or it can smoothly fade one input across eight outputs.

pekbro wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 pm IMHO there is always something to be said for design and know-how. Personally, I see Michael as
something of an authority when it comes to this sort of thing. For me that makes things easy.
There is a lot of opportunity for artistic license in the realm of DSP, certainly, things are not
always going to be created equally. This doesn't mean things need to be better or worse at all either.
Better, worse, equal? Not even relevant within reason. If I have a module that does X reasonably well, I'm not going to buy another module that does X even if it might do it a little better. Not when dealing with a platform where you already know in advance there's going to be tons of duplication down the road. I mean how much money are you going to spend on this especially when it's nothing more than a hobby?

Give me something truly unique and amazing and I'll buy it. It's that simple. Hell, I haven't even purchased the Octagon Sequencer yet. Why? Because I already have 2 sequencers. I don't REALLY need another, even if this one might have a bell or whistle that the other two don't have. A sequencer is still just a sequencer. Now, give me a VSS sequencer for VM and I'm all in. Octagon is no VSS.

Return to “Instruments”