donkeyt- Never Had It So Good - Indie Rokk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As is often the case buying a new thing brings forth a new bit of musical dross. In this case a cheapy electro-acoustic bass. Obviously these things are designed to be played with a plectrum and playing chords - otherwise why do they have more than 1 string? I rest my case. :hihi:

A game of 4 halves (2 pints?) - the shambling sub-VU start bit, the poor man's Smiths bit, the ludicrous chorused bass Cocteau Twins/New Order bit, and the little rokk part at the end.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... o-good.mp3

Usual bizzle - I have no idea if the vocals are loud enough etc... :scared:

My Feedback

Music - 9
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall - 9.5

Comments: Yay, another DT track. Okay, vocals could be turned up in the verse a tad. Not much. Just a tad. Chorus vocals are fine. Kind of a dark track, even for you. Mix is good. Musically, your usual standard of excellent. Guitars sound great. And of course the performance is what I expect. Does remind me a little of The Smiths even more so than The Who, which is unusual for your stuff, at least for me. Anywho, another enjoyable listen. Now I need to go search out all the stuff you've posted, download it, and make my own playlist to listen to when I want to be reminded what real talent sounds like.

Is this the promised abdication song?

Sounding good to me. Vox seem about right in terms of level. At least I can understand you. High and mid toms (I think) sound a bit tippy tappy though, or is that just me?
wagtunes wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:20 pm Does remind me a little of The Smiths even more so than The Who, which is unusual for your stuff...
I've lost count of the number of times DT has that tremolo guitar sound from How Soon is Now in his tracks. :lol:

There's also that great cover of Bigmouth Strikes Again... which sounds nothing like either the Smiths nor The Who

it's a keeper ...
:tu:

Well written, well performed, and the production is very nice too. The drums sound solid and appropriate, great driving balance of kick and snare (tho maybe a touch too much compression on the toms? matter of taste though) I also like the clarity of the vocals. The flow of this song is nice too, keeps everything interesting. The only consequence of this is that I felt the ending came a bit abruptly, right when I wanted to hear a guitar solo! But then again, maybe that would push it too close to prog territory :)

Anyway, great work and thank you for sharing.

Like it. Some really good progressions, good vocal delay effects in the right places. At the beginning there your voice reminded me of Mark Knoppfler, although his voice is lower pitched.

Interesting, well done. At times, you sound like Peter Gabriel.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:59 pm Interesting, well done. At times, you sound like Peter Gabriel.
progger! :lol:

Bombadil wrote:At times, you sound like Peter Gabriel.
Now that you say it, he does sound like PG in some places...

I like this though, good piece of songwriting, and good execution.
Sweet child in time...

vurt wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:06 pm
Bombadil wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:59 pm Interesting, well done. At times, you sound like Peter Gabriel.
Dipster! :P
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:16 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:06 pm
Dipster! :P
its donks im laughing at, i like a bit of pg and early genesis
we all know how donks feels about the prog though :hihi:

I don't. So, you're saying I insulted him? :hihi:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

vox is too forward/dry

def needs more verb and i would suggest some chorus or multitracked vox parts

Fackin proggers....

I actually like what I've heard of Peter Gabriel's solo stuff, and he always seems like a decent bloke when you see him interviewed etc, and he's not a tory wanker unlike Collins... :hihi:

Anyway, done a bit of tarting up of a few things on this number. Little bit more reverb on the vocal (plus longer decay, shorter pre-delay) so it's still quite (cough) 'intimate' but with a bit more space. There are actually a lot of other tracks with chorus etc mixed low but they're there for depth rather than being overt. This isn't the tarnce... :hihi:

Messed about a bit with the toms - trying to get that middle ground of, err, 'thawck' without it sounding like some big 80s power ballad..let's see.. :scared:

Few other bits and bobs altered in terms of automating levels/de-esser, but nothing major.

Many thanks for listening, now I'm f**king off to play some more Bass VI

Return to “Music Cafe”