Tone2 Electra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Electra3 ElectraX

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:06 pm As cool as Electra is, it seems to me that Icarus has pretty much made it redundant no?
No. :)

Very different synths, all in all. Electra2 has layers, and is supposed to be programmed with a layer workflow (at least there's some things you can't do in it, when you're not creating layers). It also sounds different to Icarus (IMO better). Electra has wavetables, but, isn't a "classic" wavetable synth in the sense that it morphs through the wavetables. It has some basic morph-ability, but, there's only a short morph between the waveforms, not like in a common wavetable synth.

What i like in Icarus is that it's more straight forward, and easier to use. I also like the feature set better. Would be great to have Icarus sound like Electra2. :D

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:12 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:06 pm As cool as Electra is, it seems to me that Icarus has pretty much made it redundant no?
No. :)

Very different synths, all in all. Electra2 has layers, and is supposed to be programmed with a layer workflow (at least there's some things you can't do in it, when you're not creating layers). It also sounds different to Icarus (IMO better). Electra has wavetables, but, isn't a "classic" wavetable synth in the sense that it morphs through the wavetables. It has some basic morph-ability, but, there's only a short morph between the waveforms, not like in a common wavetable synth.

What i like in Icarus is that it's more straight forward, and easier to use. I also like the feature set better. Would be great to have Icarus sound like Electra2. :D
Interesting, I used to have Electra and I don't notice Icarus sounding any worse. I find it quite similar when you use similar type of oscillators and filters, just more powerful. The sound of tone2 synths are so distincive to me, I'd have a hard time justifying having more than one. And yeah I guess I was ignoring the layer functionality of Electra because I never cared about that, I just used it as a single layer synth.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:18 pm The sound of tone2 synths are so distincive to me, I'd have a hard time justifying having more than one.
I've never understood why people say that. The sound of Gladiator, Saurus, Electra, RayBlaster, to name the synths that I have used, can be so distinct and different. I suppose if we use simple waveforms and the same type of filter in all synths, maybe the resultant sound will be very similar, but if we use these synths to the best of their abilities and focus on what makes them unique (to each other), then their sonic signature should be very apparent.
And yeah I guess I was ignoring the layer functionality of Electra because I never cared about that, I just used it as a single layer synth.
For me, the layering options are what makes Electra what it is: a really special synth. It's in the layering that I find Electra's sweet spots.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:31 pm
And yeah I guess I was ignoring the layer functionality of Electra because I never cared about that, I just used it as a single layer synth.
For me, the layering options are what makes Electra what it is: a really special synth. It's in the layering that I find Electra's sweet spots.
Fair enough, I just don't usually care about layering within a synth, since most DAWs allow you to stack synths into a single instrument pretty easily, at least the ones I've used mostly, like Ableton Live and Bitwig. But as far as the features of a single layer, I'm still not seeing much that can't be accomplished with Icarus. Workflow and design aside I mean, which are perfectly good reasons to prefer working with synth over another one.

FYI, Markus wrote on their forum recently in response to a request for MPE that it was technically possible, but that only one other user had ever requested, but he would do it if more users requested it. I'm surprised that only one person has requested that but if you agree that MPE would be good, you should go and request it for the tone2 synths.

I did mention MPE to Markus.

Personally, I think the Tone2 synths would be amazing with MPE. Gladiator, Electrax, Icarus, Nemesis have so many parameters which would be perfect for MPE-modulation. Right now, I'd take Electra as the prime candidate for MPE. Its layering capabilities would be perfect here.

himalaya wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:25 pm I did mention MPE to Markus.

Personally, I think the Tone2 synths would be amazing with MPE. Gladiator, Electrax, Icarus, Nemesis have so many parameters which would be perfect for MPE-modulation. Right now, I'd take Electra as the prime candidate for MPE. Its layering capabilities would be perfect here.
Ha, I guess you are that one person! And yeah they would be great for mpe, I'd especially like Icarus due to the sample mangling and wavetable morphing stuff.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 pm FYI, Markus wrote on their forum recently in response to a request for MPE that it was technically possible, but that only one other user had ever requested, but he would do it if more users requested it. I'm surprised that only one person has requested that but if you agree that MPE would be good, you should go and request it for the tone2 synths.
I sometimes also wonder how much feedback companies actually get for their plugins... Electra, for example, has a bug where the filter still lets through low frequency content, even if the cutoff if fully closed. Never was fixed, probably never will be. And i seem to be the only one who noticed, judging by responses when i got when i brought it up... :lol:

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:32 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 pm FYI, Markus wrote on their forum recently in response to a request for MPE that it was technically possible, but that only one other user had ever requested, but he would do it if more users requested it. I'm surprised that only one person has requested that but if you agree that MPE would be good, you should go and request it for the tone2 synths.
I sometimes also wonder how much feedback companies actually get for their plugins... Electra, for example, has a bug where the filter still lets through low frequency content, even if the cutoff if fully closed. Never was fixed, probably never will be. And i seem to be the only one who noticed, judging by responses when i got when i brought it up... :lol:
I'm not sure what he's like these days, but I remember reporting a bug or two with gladiator about ten years ago when I owned it and he refused to acknowledge that it was a bug or issue, but then later fixed it anyway, which I thought was funny.

I've never used Icarus, but it sounds like it would be great for MPE as well.
In the olden days (lol! back in 2012) I used to fake MPE with multiple synths in a DAW. This was in the Seaboard GRAND days...so it was 3D, and not 5D.

However, speaking of MPE, it's never 'just' about making a synth responsive to poly-pitch, CC74, note-off release, (or before the MPE-standard, poly-aftertouch as well) since in order to obtain patches that are fine-tuned to any MPE controller, we also need 'expression curves' and a 'slew' function ( or 'lag').

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:32 pm
I'm not sure what he's like these days, but I remember reporting a bug or two with gladiator about ten years ago when I owned it and he refused to acknowledge that it was a bug or issue, but then later fixed it anyway, which I thought was funny.
To be fair, i never brought it up to him, just posted it here. But, a few people were surprised when i brought it up, and acknowledged it. The thing is, there's probably at least a few thousands people using, or having used the synth, and noone even noticed that there's such a major thing? Weird. :)

himalaya wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:31 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:18 pm The sound of tone2 synths are so distincive to me, I'd have a hard time justifying having more than one.
I've never understood why people say that. The sound of Gladiator, Saurus, Electra, RayBlaster, to name the synths that I have used, can be so distinct and different. I suppose if we use simple waveforms and the same type of filter in all synths, maybe the resultant sound will be very similar, but if we use these synths to the best of their abilities and focus on what makes them unique (to each other), then their sonic signature should be very apparent.
totally agree on each synth has it's own strenghts and weaknesses, however they all have potential.. logic in your comment ;)
about sound, ray blaster to me has a very distinctive sound

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:27 pm
himalaya wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:25 pm I did mention MPE to Markus.

Ha, I guess you are that one person! And yeah they would be great for mpe, I'd especially like Icarus due to the sample mangling and wavetable morphing stuff.
I just jumped over to the Tone2 forum and requested MPE compatibility as well. With Roli’s major push to put a Seaboard in every musician’s hands, it’s a no-brainer. I think MPE will become commonplace very soon

I remember seeing this synth with a white and blue colour scheme. is that still selectable? Its kinda weird but i won;t buy it if its just the dull military grey skin.
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

Electrax can layer up to 4 patches, but it's hidden in the menu system. I think this would be one of the best synths on the market, if Tone2 finally gave it a GUI update, with a proper mixer / layer section on the synth itself. MPE support would be amazing too!
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Instruments”