mac vs the world

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44416 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 am

ted nugent is shit.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
8690 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:40 am

Googly Smythe wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:54 am
Dasheesh wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:25 pm
found this very interesting. nugen audio held a major survey at the end of last year to refocus their company and develop new products, plus analyze user base etc. maybe you participated? the results came back and states that 65% of their user base used macs. only 35% were pc. this "most people use pc's" argument got old a while back.
Am I reading this right...?
Because 65% of nugen's user base use Apple computers, that means 65% of all people use Apple computers?
I wonder what this means then?
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... Ivb4_FGR5U

"Pro Tools Users abandoning Apple Mac for Microsoft Windows. New Poll Shows Alarming Results"
Fernando (FMR)

chk071
KVRAF
19896 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:48 am

In Germany, we have a saying. "Don't trust a statistic you didn't forge yourself." ;)

User avatar
Deep Purple
KVRian
1108 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:11 am

88.2% of statistics are made up on the spot
Sweet child in time...

Kongru
KVRian
511 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:14 am

fmr wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:40 am
Googly Smythe wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:54 am
Dasheesh wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:25 pm
found this very interesting. nugen audio held a major survey at the end of last year to refocus their company and develop new products, plus analyze user base etc. maybe you participated? the results came back and states that 65% of their user base used macs. only 35% were pc. this "most people use pc's" argument got old a while back.
Am I reading this right...?
Because 65% of nugen's user base use Apple computers, that means 65% of all people use Apple computers?
I wonder what this means then?
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... Ivb4_FGR5U

"Users abandoning Pro Tools. New Poll Shows Alarming Results"
Fixed it

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18275 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 am

fmr wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:40 am
jancivil wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:45 pm
fmr wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:44 pm
jancivil wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:43 pm
NI doesn't seem to care all that much for the Windozes no mo', I mean the Native Access works here but has all these issues there, they make a new effect and people have to struggle to make their video card suit it...
Huh? :nutter:
:roll: :idiot:
for starters:
search.php?keywords=replika+video+card&fid%5B0%5D=6
Yeah so it worked for me on 2010 and 2011 computers, had the right Open GL whatever it is that people had to know about.
Facts are nutter! Argument from ignorance rules ok!

all stupid insults aside, Native Access has been reported with problems on the windows side that are on the windows side except for like one user, at least that's the optics at KVR.
Don't need to start a flaming war. I didn't.
Of course! What's good for you I can't do! I include my own insult in the "stupid insults", the word being plural but aw hell no it's all me! Sure, and your further inflaming with stupid argumentation isn't that at all because you're so righteous all the time. I was reflecting your use of the insulting emoticon. Not exactly the first time you've been a total hypocrite, is it.
And you are behaving like a soccer fan (although you probably don't know what's the meaning of that).
:lol: This isn't anything other than an argument on point, because you're never purely insulting to people. :roll:

I *probably* wouldn't know from 'soccer fan behavior'? Based in what? Lame try at an insult. Check yourself.
First of all, what I said was a response to the idiot notion of ease of use being a bad thing and second I wasn't talking to you, third, I said in in what I figured was obviously a facetious mode of expression.
Here's your behavior:
Why do you insist in talking about Windows when, admitedly, you don't have any experience with it (at least for the past several years)? /sic

I use both systems over here, and I'm aware of the problems in both of them (yes, there are MANY problems in macOS too, altough you seem to deny it). Are you even using the latest OS version?
Admittedly I don't have *any* experience with it? No, in fact last I used it was Nov. 2016, Windows 8.
Last windows box I owned was 2006. I had a friend who would on occasion bring her boyfriend's windows box over with her macbook for me to do maintenance work on. EDIT: Vista. I wrote an entire screenplay using Vista in CeltX.

Straw man argument part 1.

You did :nutter: because I had said (somewhat facetiously) NI doesn't seem to care all that much for the Windozes no mo', I mean the Native Access works here but has all these issues there, they make a new effect and people have to struggle to make their video card suit it... And, note well, the emphasized quote just above was on topic.

Which I saw for days here. The particular issue (not the only one, it appeared later with FX) was Open GL which I didn't have to worry about. So one might draw the inference that NI wasn't focused on older specced windows boxes before releasing it.
What I cited btfw is a fact.

There was a context: someone said that people who use "mac" create in their head the image that macs are for that moron in the tv commercial who "can't ever find the button on the thingy"
SO: Ease of use, versus problems I don't need. I mentioned problems I don't have which appear to be windows issues.
On Point: my 2010 MBP had the Open GL kind of a video whatsit. :shrug:
I didn't experience the numerous issues reported here regarding NA. That's context. You're going to focus on all I linked to was one problem? It wasn't all that important to me after a few minutes on it. It isn't cherry picking and if you've not seen what I'm on about there you're arguing from a standpoint of ignorance. You got beef with me, tough.

Straw man argument part 2. "you seem to deny" - you seem to be desperately making shit up about a person you don't know. SO, evidently you need to make shit up to try and argue a point. I experience a couple of problems. I experienced one yesterday which might be a quirk or a glitch of the OS rather than one of Nuendo, which I'm investigating. I didn't deny anyone's T2 chip issues.

I am on 10.14.4 currently, the latest. Was there a point to implying I'm not? Check your own behavior.



format; punctuation
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kongru
KVRian
511 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 am

How about this: some people like Mac and some people like Windows.

I don't like Windows because the whole experience feels like Microsoft said "eh, that'll do", but that says more about me than Windows.

User avatar
Deep Purple
KVRian
1108 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:22 am

Kongru wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 am
How about this: some people like Mac and some people like Windows.
Unfortunately there are certain people here who look at things in black and white and go out of their way to give their opinion on Mac or Windows as if it is incontrovertible fact.

It would be nice to just accept that what works for one person might not work for another, but that's not going to work for the people here who would argue with a brick wall over which operating system if 'better'.
Sweet child in time...

chk071
KVRAF
19896 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:29 am

Kongru wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 am
I don't like Windows because the whole experience feels like Microsoft said "eh, that'll do", but that says more about me than Windows.
To pour some oil into the fire again: That's how i often react when i take a look at Mac OS. ;) Or rather, i'm more like "Um... OK... so they sacrificed features, and software stability in favour of the device design.". Last example: A couple of days ago, i had to drive 15 kilometres to kill the Mail app process, because the Macbook of a realtive didn't want to display the Mail app. It was easily fixed, but... obviously, Mac OS doesn't even show the kill process dialog, when you reboot the device, only when you shut it down... well, a process always can crash so that it has to be killed, but, things like these always make me wonder what's so damn better about it than a PC. Actually, why do i even have to make a distinction between a Mac and a PC? Istn't a Mac a "personal computer"? I guess it's something higher. Something better. Or so.

Sorry for the flaming, i don't really hate Apple, it's just that i don't quite get the mentality of many of their users, and the mentality behind the company. That high horse attitude. It isn't justified at all.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18275 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 am

I never said the OS is better, Windows may be better for some use cases, in certain fields, and I wouldn't even know.
Someone felt it appropriate to insinuate the mac user is some caricature of ineptness, I said less hassle is less hassle; on point me not having to worry about those two things, I'll grin like Alfred E Neuman, ok. :shrug: I fully accept whatever any person decides is for them. I responded to something ridiculous. I don't think worrying in 2015 or whenever that was about Open GL is good for me, if that works for someone, great. :D

I have no idea whatsoever the use case resulting in this was:
but... obviously, Mac OS doesn't even show the kill process dialog, when you reboot the device, only when you shut it down...
You seem to want a certain behavior from windows. I don't know what you're on about at all.
All that has to happen is command/option => escape and Force Quit Applications pops up. If you restart or shut down, there are certain applications which do not give that up to you, they stop the OS from vacating either way. This is because of the idea of losing your work, one supposes. I've not seen Force Quit Applications pop up, I do that manually. The only time I would decide a reboot is my only option I would do a hard reboot. You aren't a mac user, evidently. Why go on so?
"sacrificed features, and software stability in favour of the device design." to have meaning would have to be based in something better than assumption. Software stability, because someone doesn't know to force quit Mail? To keep Mail from popping up is easily done, and is done from the browser or one's website settings.

And I'm to be accused of saying all kind of things I would never say for taking issue with this kind of thing. Whatever.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7961 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:10 pm

fmr wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:40 am
I wonder what this means then?
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... Ivb4_FGR5U
"Pro Tools Users abandoning Apple Mac for Microsoft Windows. New Poll Shows Alarming Results"
That aligns pretty well with my observations of what my work colleagues are doing.
Kongru wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 am
I don't like Windows because the whole experience feels like Microsoft said "eh, that'll do", but that says more about me than Windows.
That feels far more like the macOS experience to me. Every new version of Windows, and we get at least two per year, shows how hard they are trying to improve Windows in many areas. It seems to get far more attention now than I can ever remember and a lot of it is in response to user feedback, so it actually get better, while macOS just seems to drop support for more and more things with every new version. It's so bad now that you can't even use Preview to look at a .mov that uses Apple's own Animation codec because they decided on a whim that nobody would ever want to open any of those .mov again.
Deep Purple wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:22 am
It would be nice to just accept that what works for one person might not work for another, but that's not going to work for the people here who would argue with a brick wall over which operating system if 'better'.
And if that's what everyone said, these discussions wouldn't go anywhere but the reality is that the more unjustifiable an opinion is, the more people feel the need to justify it. But if you simply look at the facts, it's a choice that should make itself for 99% of people.

I didn't choose Windows, I chose my software applications, which informed my decision on which OS to use. That's as simple as it should be for most people. It means that if you want to use Logic, and there'd be plenty of people who'd have all sorts of perfectly valid reasons for that, then you choose macOS. What you don't do is to then go around trying to tell us all why macOS is better. It doesn't have to be better, it just has to support the applications you want to use.

That said, Windows 10 is now so far ahead of macOS for any kind of professional or prosumer use that you could almost choose your OS first, then find software to run on it.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10),Yamaha MG10XU, Cubase Pro 10, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

AnX
KVRAF
4380 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: mac vs the world

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Deep Purple wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:11 am
88.2% of statistics are made up on the spot

68.2% of people already know this

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3803 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: mac vs the world

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:49 pm

jancivil wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 am
Someone felt it appropriate to insinuate the mac user is some caricature of ineptness, I said less hassle is less hassle;
I like quite Macs, but having said that, Mac users are in my experience quite guilty of being on the first rise of the dunning-kruger curve as far as computers are concerned - perhaps Because there's so much less to have to fiddle with and fix with macs... I don't know. I've just come up against the 'tude several times.
And having said that, some windows users are just as bad.

reggie1979
KVRist
457 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: mac vs the world

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Deep Purple wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:22 am
Kongru wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 am
How about this: some people like Mac and some people like Windows.
Unfortunately there are certain people here who look at things in black and white and go out of their way to give their opinion on Mac or Windows as if it is incontrovertible fact.

It would be nice to just accept that what works for one person might not work for another, but that's not going to work for the people here who would argue with a brick wall over which operating system if 'better'.
That is not the kv......forum way. Please ban!!!

elxsound
KVRAF
4792 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Re: mac vs the world

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 am
ted nugent is shit.
Word.

Return to β€œComputer Setup and System Configuration”