Let's talk reaktor 6.4

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reaktor Reaktor Player

First of all , why is the previoius topic closed ?
Imho no kvr rules were broken .

At michael Hetrick , what do you mean the new (euroreakt)rack will be closed , do you mean the core cells ?
The new ( patch ready ) blocks can still be opened in normal structure and ensemble view , front panel patching and saveable as an ensemble

Why would that be any different with the new forthcoming euroreakt stuff ?
Unless you are inteentionally locking the whole core structure

On a side note , the only reason why ensembles had such ridiculous size is because of the included png files , I've been asking for vector graphics for years in the same vein as max msp etc ...N.I> just doesn't care about that
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 am First of all , why is the previoius topic closed ?
The thread starter locked it himself.
No longer a moderator.

Looks like OP got mad about NI, and decided to lock the thread. ;)

Well I can totally relate to him
I've been using reaktor for over 15 years now , and the direction they are heading now is really sad .

All the changes in 6.3 are just to attract new people , with a half baked patch cable system
They could have totally re-designed the interface and opted for vector graphics , added a codebox for reaktor core , launch it as a new program if must be .
But no , another layer of blocks that both work in rack view and ensemble with minor differences ...
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 am At michael Hetrick , what do you mean the new (euroreakt)rack will be closed , do you mean the core cells ?
The new ( patch ready ) blocks can still be opened in normal structure and ensemble view , front panel patching and saveable as an ensemble
Euro Reakt will remain hackable. The old User Library version will remain as-is. I don't plan on ever taking that down.

To open up Blocks (including the new Blocks Base), you have to be in Ensemble mode (i.e., Build when you first open Reaktor, or New Ensemble from the file menu). Then, select the Library tab. All of the new Blocks will show up there. Some of NI's blocks have always been locked (Monark, Driver, etc.), but I just opened up the Modern Comb Filter from Blocks Prime and looked at all the core stuff.

Reaktor Player stand-alone instantly crashes here on Windows 10. It's been like that for a while. Same problem with current update. Have uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times. Anybody know what to do apart from trying to contact support? It seems to work in Ableton Live 10 as a VSTi.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

thelizard wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:44 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 am At michael Hetrick , what do you mean the new (euroreakt)rack will be closed , do you mean the core cells ?
Euro Reakt will remain hackable. The old User Library version will remain as-is. I don't plan on ever taking that down.

To open up Blocks (including the new Blocks Base), you have to be in Ensemble mode (i.e., Build when you first open Reaktor, or New Ensemble from the file menu). Then, select the Library tab. All of the new Blocks will show up there. Some of NI's blocks have always been locked (Monark, Driver, etc.), but I just opened up the Modern Comb Filter from Blocks Prime and looked at all the core stuff.
So if you make an adjustment to one of the rack compatible blocks like in the Blocks base group while in ensemble mode and save that ism file, does it still work in rack mode with the changes saved?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:49 am

So if you make an adjustment to one of the rack compatible blocks like in the Blocks base group while in ensemble mode and save that ism file, does it still work in rack mode with the changes saved?
Yes, the Rack files simply reference the saved ism files, which is why the Racks are so small. This made it a lot easier to do Euro Reakt bug fixes, as I didn't need to update each .ens file (In the User Library Euro Reakt, most of the .ens files have wildly out-of-date Blocks compared to the rest of the folder).

thelizard wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 am

Yes, the Rack files simply reference the saved ism files, which is why the Racks are so small. This made it a lot easier to do Euro Reakt bug fixes, as I didn't need to update each .ens file (In the User Library Euro Reakt, most of the .ens files have wildly out-of-date Blocks compared to the rest of the folder).
if understand correctly you gonna update euro reakt, or better make a rack version for it?

i understand the frustration, and even if own reaktor a long time, it is quite recently that i delve in to it, it is easier than i thought.. and i have many paths to play with, it is also the timing, that i want to master reaktor, playing around with other stuff had great results, but with every step, you want master more techniques.
so the frustration for me is lesser.

but the great user blocks, are great! it isn't a problem to use them in the "old" way, but the rack way, is faster, for playing around. and for me i am that level, i am looking at the core things, also in m4l, i can understand it, but it is the balance making music and learning a technique. i take my time, i develop it parrallel. music and technique... i am not the clear, i think.

because of the other thread that is closed, it is somewhat confusing.

but i hope that euro reakt gets a rack version. and i like hetrick modules (VM..), and from reaktor.

if am not clear, it is because i try too fast, things in reaktor now.

EDIT: and perhaps and i understand it completely, i hope this thread will focus on the possibilities, within the limits of reaktor.
so we can learn instead of discuss (discussion about how to is something else). i plea!

EDIT: there is another thread with the answers; a euro reakt rack version is on it's way. thanks!
Last edited by WasteLand on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 amI've been asking for vector graphics for years in the same vein as max msp etc ...N.I> just doesn't care about that
Ever dealt with a 20+ years old codebase? From product management point of view, would you do a high effort low turnaround solution rather than the other way around?

thelizard wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 am

That's pretty smart

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:25 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 amI've been asking for vector graphics for years in the same vein as max msp etc ...N.I> just doesn't care about that
Ever dealt with a 20+ years old codebase? From product management point of view, would you do a high effort low turnaround solution rather than the other way around?
No I haven't , but what cycling 74 did when going from max 4.5 to 5.0 is what N.I. should have done a long time ago .
Making the user experience a lot more friendlier by tackling the underlying gui codebase .
I am not saying they should have adopted the juce framework , but just adding these additional layers of
rack blocks while still keeping the 20 year old gui system is imho not verry future proof .
I am certainly not the only one feeling that way.

Other then that , crucial things like triplet timing for the util block have never been updated by N.I. , an sich that's not a problem since the U.L . has got you covered .
I am updating the util clock to do triplets for the rack standard , but in al honousty that is really the job of N.I.
Eyeball exchanging

And noppes , reaktor doesn't let us load modified rack blocks in the rack eco system , however they do load in regular ensemble structures .
but that means no advantage of a smaller preset system , and no coloured patch cables
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:09 am Well I can totally relate to him
I've been using reaktor for over 15 years now , and the direction they are heading now is really sad .

All the changes in 6.3 are just to attract new people , with a half baked patch cable system
I don't think so. As far as i'm concerned, there often have been voices here which asked for patch cables. Whether or not they are right is a different thing.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:09 am Well I can totally relate to him

I don't think so. As far as i'm concerned, there often have been voices here which asked for patch cables. Whether or not they are right is a different thing.
I can imagine that attracting new customers and addressing something that existing users have asked for is considered a good thing from NI's point of view.

It looks fine to me - works as cables do on any other system, and to be honest I think it will make it more likely that I'll open Reaktor to quickly mock up something modular.
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”