Anything particular you want to see from BFD3?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

While the vertical resizing seems to work, it would be better if the content was able to rescale.
too much is never enough. - gmontano on esoundz.com

Yep, wont argue that the way BFD works when it comes to organising files is quite ... erm.... early 2000's!!! Basically the idea is that system files and user files should be kept separate, and that system files shouldn't ever be saved over or replaced by the user. So we end up in this situation where we have two locations, and it's very easy to lose stuff in both of them in instances where you re-install your OS or format a drive, or if a drive just dies on you or something. I'd much prefer a cloud based solution.
gmontano wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:43 pm While the vertical resizing seems to work, it would be better if the content was able to rescale.
No argument from me! We'll see where we can go with it.

FWIW I've seen some comments by people saying that the new macros system isn't useful to them, because they route out into their DAW and process from there. Again, no argument from me. I do the same thing most of the time too. But the macros system can be used for a lot of different things - you can control the sends to your DAW for example, or control the dampening of the kick, snare, and toms. I believe you can even assign a macro to some of the groove parameters too.

Finally, you can prep a bunch of presets for songwriting, that have processing on the drums and what not. So you don't have to mess around with your DAW too much. Just get straight to writing music. Then later on you can remove all the processing, route to your DAW, and start the mixing process. Just depends how you work.

I tend to mix as I go, and then at the end of the songwriting process... when I think I'm done anyway... I tear the mix down and start completely from scratch. During that songwriting process I'm usually using lightweight plugins and not the big heavy stuff. Also plugins that add latency are a big no-no during the songwriting stage too. Although I confess, since getting my Apollo x8p... that's starting to become a thing of the past for me. I've stopped monitoring through the DAW pretty much!
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

I'm on my Christmas holiday now, so I'm not "working" as such. But I'll keep an eye on this and other threads, and if anyone wants to throw more ideas or feedback or abuse at me, I'm game. I can take it. :hihi:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Mr Arkadin wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:47 am
Amberience wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:39 pm Hi everyone,

We're finally happy to bring you BFD3.3 as a public beta.
I see you've dropped Windows 7 support, so I guess I won't be trying it or any future updates. Guess this thread was a bit pointless :(
My sincere apologies. I know there are still some people out there using Windows 7, just as there are still people using Leopard (no, really, I've seen them!) But for us there has to be a cut off at some point. We just don't have the development or QA resources to be able to support an OS that is now over 8 years old and has been officially unsupported by Microsoft since 2015. And if I recall correctly it was holding us back in terms of some of the optimisations we could make. The newest BFD3 builds wont even run on Windows 7 now. They will run on Windows 8 I believe.

I know that is a sucky response and isn't what people want to hear, but it's the truth.

Amberience wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:38 am
Mr Arkadin wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:47 am
Amberience wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:39 pm Hi everyone,

We're finally happy to bring you BFD3.3 as a public beta.
I see you've dropped Windows 7 support, so I guess I won't be trying it or any future updates. Guess this thread was a bit pointless :(
My sincere apologies. I know there are still some people out there using Windows 7, just as there are still people using Leopard (no, really, I've seen them!) But for us there has to be a cut off at some point. We just don't have the development or QA resources to be able to support an OS that is now over 8 years old and has been officially unsupported by Microsoft since 2015. And if I recall correctly it was holding us back in terms of some of the optimisations we could make. The newest BFD3 builds wont even run on Windows 7 now. They will run on Windows 8 I believe.

I know that is a sucky response and isn't what people want to hear, but it's the truth.
It's a shame companies can't be a bit more honest and post on their websites in big letters their intentions.

BFD3 is still for sale on the fxpansion website claiming Windows 7 compatibility on the products page. If I'd known I could have made plans accordingly - like not buy the expansions I did recently etc. Sure I can still use them but I could have put that money towards a different product.

Anyway enough bitching from me, I'm out I guess.

Ahhh, someone was supposed to fix that. I will ping the relevant peeps!

Honestly, I know you probably have you reasons and I know you wont want to hear this, but Windows 10 is very good for audio performance. You're not going to lose anything - other than perhaps some time to set everything up - by updating to W10.

*ducks*

Amberience wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:38 amWe just don't have the development or QA resources to be able to support an OS that is now over 8 years old and has been officially unsupported by Microsoft since 2015.
actually win7 only stopped getting 'feature' updates in 2015 - it's fully supported by microsoft for security and bug fixes until the end of 2019 (I work in corporate IT - we won't have our site transitioned to win10 'til then)

Also, until such time as microsoft sees sense and make win10 ltsb available to non-enterprise customers there's no way I'd be using win10 in a recording setup, getting wildly unreliabe 'enhacements' rammed down your system's throat every 6 months (1809 update fiasco being the case in point) just would not work in a commercial setting. Til then you'll find a LOT of people sticking with win7 as a result.

Already I've seen one other developer drop win7 support - then have to turn around and cancel that idea due to feedback from their users (i.e. once they realised a large percentage of their user-base was NOT on win10)

jdnz wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:49 pm
Amberience wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:38 amWe just don't have the development or QA resources to be able to support an OS that is now over 8 years old and has been officially unsupported by Microsoft since 2015.
actually win7 only stopped getting 'feature' updates in 2015 - it's fully supported by microsoft for security and bug fixes until the end of 2019 (I work in corporate IT - we won't have our site transitioned to win10 'til then)

Also, until such time as microsoft sees sense and make win10 ltsb available to non-enterprise customers there's no way I'd be using win10 in a recording setup, getting wildly unreliabe 'enhacements' rammed down your system's throat every 6 months (1809 update fiasco being the case in point) just would not work in a commercial setting. Til then you'll find a LOT of people sticking with win7 as a result.

Already I've seen one other developer drop win7 support - then have to turn around and cancel that idea due to feedback from their users (i.e. once they realised a large percentage of their user-base was NOT on win10)
According to the wiki on Windows 7, Microsoft are only offering extended support until 2020, or 2023 for professional and enterprise users, and they will need to pay for security updates. It's all right here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

You'll be happy to know that there is appetite for still supporting it. So what I can say is that right now the *public beta* does not support Win7. It remains to be seen whether we can do so for the final release.

Win7 still has a large market share, I wont deny that at all.

Amberience wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:24 pm You'll be happy to know that there is appetite for still supporting it. So what I can say is that right now the *public beta* does not support Win7. It remains to be seen whether we can do so for the final release.

Win7 still has a large market share, I wont deny that at all.
I know that cypher still runs on win7, despite it not being ‘officially’ supported, I think Angus said they’d stopped testing on win7, and couldn’t guarantee that future updates might not break it (so could end up in the same situation as the bfd3 - having to stick to the last compatible version if on win7)

I do find it strange that both ssd5 and sd3 (which are both full new versions, not just minor updates and which were both released in the last year) STILL support win7 fully - maybe slate/toontrack know their user-base better than fxp do? When was the last time fxp ran a user survey to see what hosts/os’s their customers were using?

more CC layers for the Hihats 5 it is not enough doesn't sound very real,, to my ears.. toontrack has much more Zones for the CC hi hat openness 2 for close.. and 5 or 6 or even 7 for the open..

Sorry, bit late to this thread having just seen the official 3.3 update release.

As a guitarist, what I'd most like to see would be some improvement to the way you can search for and audition grooves within BFD. Something along the lines of Toontrack's Tap 2 Find and Song Creator features would be amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpFYHwwyKIU

Here's how the Song Creator is implemented in Superior Drummer 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0I2VAnoPew

Thanks for the thread and for the latest updates. So nice to know development is still ongoing :tu:

Its a bit too early to drop win7 support IMO. The need for 64bit Native support was the main incentive to leave WinXP behind. Thunderbolt 3 and 8K may have some Win10 requirements.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Amberience wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:29 am FWIW I've seen some comments by people saying that the new macros system isn't useful to them, because they route out into their DAW and process from there.
Well, who cares, they can just not use it. People complain a lot, isn't it.
This is apples v. oranges, there is no functionality in the DAW to simultaneously control things (in more than one direction, and dynamically) with one fader.

But anyway, for some actual useful feedback, I would like to see Show/Hide Macro Snapshots automatable. It's an always-on-top situation here with a lot of back-and-forth. In general I would seriously recommend more focus on how BFD3 is working in VE Pro. For example, I found an issue where more than one hihat was panning way left in VE Pro and it was normal as a plugin in Cubase or Nuendo. And it couldn't be fixed, no matter what I did it appeared in more or less the one part of the field. So I have to pretend this drummer is left-handed. :D
Last edited by jancivil on Mon May 20, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good simple patterns please...
MUCH more attention to shakers, tambs, and other high end chicka chikca sounds that are SUBTLE !!!
If you need a reference, Liquid Grooves... A standard to beat.
Enough hard rock drumsets
Marching band ... seriously?
Japanese drums.... no no no
Go forward, NOT sideways
A well thought out pattern is 100x more valuable than the Tommy Lee crazed drummer patterns in the majority of your patterns. The samples are great, but the drums totally overpower the piece and that makes them only good for Rock, hard rock and metal.

Having Japanese drums pack is actually really great since they sound very good and are tremendously usable.
electro wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 pm Its a bit too early to drop win7 support IMO.
Well no, after W7 loses support from Microsoft, why should other devs bother supporting it then. It's a dead end anyways.
jdnz wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:49 pmgetting wildly unreliabe 'enhacements' rammed down your system's throat every 6 months (1809 update fiasco being the case in point) just would not work in a commercial setting.
W10 Pro gives more control over all that, including delaying a feature update up to a year, and moving to a slower update cycle ring, too.

Return to “Instruments”