Why is Steinberg working so hard to kill off VST2 when it works so well?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

If a couple of the big players in the industry such as NI, Waves and Ableton put their brains together towards an open format. VST3 would be ancient history. Steinberg is a competitor to these other guys, it is not in their best interests for one player to 100% control audio plug-in standards.

I’m also shocked Microsoft is keeping out of plugin format wars. They had the resources to develop DX plugins into more of a universal standard like Apple did with AU.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

QQ : It's more that RaySpace can make reverbs others do not while sounding good, rather than absolute accuracy. It might be easier to start from stratch and simplify/streamline for getting 'good feeling' reverb rather than precision craftability. I love the bubblecasting idea to create the impulse and animating position in space. Combined with a beautiful intuitive GUI and it's a hit. Dibs on a free upgrade... hehe.

Also, Glass Viper is amazing idea with it's moving waveforms, it really gives the sound freshness. IMO, that idea can compete with Wavetable Synths if done right. The creation of the wave draw needs to be streamlined, or possible created by an expression evaluator, or at least a rnd generator for a start point, but I see it's an absolutely brilliant idea. One silly question, did the name somehow evolve from Glass Wiper. I love hearing how synths get their names. Not sure how Serum got its name, but Serum is an anagram for Remus. One Ping Only is a reference to a line in the movie Red October.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

v1o wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:27 pm If a couple of the big players in the industry such as NI, Waves and Ableton put their brains together towards an open format. VST3 would be ancient history. Steinberg is a competitor to these other guys, it is not in their best interests for one player to 100% control audio plug-in standards.

I’m also shocked Microsoft is keeping out of plugin format wars. They had the resources to develop DX plugins into more of a universal standard like Apple did with AU.
The biggest problem with a new format is that it would be introduced into a market that already has long established formats, so there would be no guarantee of universal acceptance by DAW and plugin manufacturers.

Microsoft is probably not the best candidate to get involved as they have a history of trying to impose their format on the market without following existing standards. I'm not sure if DX falls into that category, but I don't think it was very widely implemented.

I for one welcome our new VST3 overlords.
Sweet child in time...

Vertion wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:11 pm QQ : It's more that RaySpace can make reverbs others do not while sounding good, rather than absolute accuracy. It might be easier to start from stratch and simplify/streamline for getting 'good feeling' reverb rather than precision craftability. I love the bubblecasting idea to create the impulse and animating position in space. Combined with a beautiful intuitive GUI and it's a hit. Dibs on a free upgrade... hehe.

Also, Glass Viper is amazing idea with it's moving waveforms, it really gives the sound freshness. IMO, that idea can compete with Wavetable Synths if done right. The creation of the wave draw needs to be streamlined, or possible created by an expression evaluator, or at least a rnd generator for a start point, but I see it's an absolutely brilliant idea. One silly question, did the name somehow evolve from Glass Wiper. I love hearing how synths get their names. Not sure how Serum got its name, but Serum is an anagram for Remus. One Ping Only is a reference to a line in the movie Red October.
Yep the 'bubble casting' turned out to be the equivalent to 'cone-tracing,' but I didn't connect the two at the time(!)
There is already a GV 2 on it's way, currently called Ophis-Q, along the theme of snakes...

Awesome! I am excited to hear about GV2. Best to tell the forum it's developing, anticipation builds momentum, a teaser song, video, image, or even a mention of it can go a long ways. Many topselling synths and fx have names that are singular and commonly known words. Serum, Hive, Glue, Diva, Thorn. Longer names are forgotten quickly. ie. DMS Ascension Midi Workstation.

Ophis Q is a good name, reminds me of Opus. If it's a snake theme, Venom comes to mind. Fang, Coil, Bite, Antidote, Sting, Eater, Prey, Sever, Hiss, Slit, Toxin, Taker, Lash, Hatch, Spine, Skin, Lethal, Deadly, Danger, Threat, Dragon, Snake, Slither, Glide, Fire, Horn, Stealth, Shadow, and of course, Sandwich. :-D

But combination words can also work if done right. ie. Firehorn. Or not, ie. StealthSandwich.

Deep Purple wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:41 am Microsoft is probably not the best candidate to get involved as they have a history of trying to impose their format on the market without following existing standards.
Yeah, going to Microsoft to get away from Steinberg's controlling behaviour would be :dog:

imrae wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:41 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:41 am Microsoft is probably not the best candidate to get involved as they have a history of trying to impose their format on the market without following existing standards.
Yeah, going to Microsoft to get away from Steinberg's controlling behaviour would be :dog:
You’re talking about the old Microsoft. The Microsoft of today with the new CEO is embracing open standards and open source development. They’ve been contributing to the Chrome browser engine and bought Github for example.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote:You’re talking about the old Microsoft. The Microsoft of today with the new CEO is embracing open standards and open source development. They’ve been contributing to the Chrome browser engine
Someone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the reason they're doing this is because they have decided to replace their own web engine in Edge with the one from Chrome, and the main driver for this is that they can't fix a lot of the web incompatibilities with Edge due to how tightly they tied its engine to Windows.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:21 pm
v1o wrote:You’re talking about the old Microsoft. The Microsoft of today with the new CEO is embracing open standards and open source development. They’ve been contributing to the Chrome browser engine
Someone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the reason they're doing this is because they have decided to replace their own web engine in Edge with the one from Chrome, and the main driver for this is that they can't fix a lot of the web incompatibilities with Edge due to how tightly they tied its engine to Windows.
Nope, the reason they moved from Edge to Chrome is because Google kept deliberately changing code in their sites so that other layout engines would perform worse on benchmarks. Microsoft’s engineers got fed up with this and decided it was better to switch to what Google uses.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18697824

Microsoft’s main business nowadays is in the corporate sector and not in the consumer space. Open source software is a fact of life in the corporate world. As for buying Github they did that to show support for open source software. They’ve also committed themselves to being mostly platform agnostic. They fully support Android and iOS. They also now for example support the Nintendo Switch and even make development tools for it. This would never have happened under Gates or Balmer.

Microsoft are now the largest corporate code contributor to open source software projects.
https://www.infoworld.com/article/32539 ... ource.html
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:31 am
Deep Purple wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:21 pm
Nope, the reason they moved from Edge to Chrome is because Google kept deliberately changing code in their sites so that other layout engines would perform worse on benchmarks. Microsoft’s engineers got fed up with this and decided it was better to switch to what Google uses.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18697824
I said someone more knowledgeable, not someone posting a hacker conspiracy theory from a different forum.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 am I said someone more knowledgeable, not someone posting a hacker conspiracy theory from a different forum.
A conspiracy is a hidden agenda. To say it is a theory is a theory itself. If it is hidden, it is intended to be so, to hide fact. Dismissing claims of conspiracy is foolish. Conspiracy is often buried in exaggeration, hyperbola, and plain bullpoo often created by the conspiring. But quite often, where there is smoke, there is fire. This is Earth, most people are snakes, it's not Disneyland, I've seen so many hide their hate and are only governed by self interest. *yuck* Cherish the truly good people in this world. God gave me a special role to judge those who misjudge, and see the darkness in their hearts.

I'm pretty sure there is truth to the Chrome 'theory', other than just plausibility.

Vertion wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:31 am
Deep Purple wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 am I said someone more knowledgeable, not someone posting a hacker conspiracy theory from a different forum.
A conspiracy is a hidden agenda. To say it is a theory is a theory itself. If it is hidden, it is intended to be so, to hide fact. Dismissing claims of conspiracy is foolish. Conspiracy is often buried in exaggeration, hyperbola, and plain bullpoo often created by the conspiring. But quite often, where there is smoke, there is fire. This is Earth, most people are snakes, it's not Disneyland, I've seen so many hide their hate and are only governed by self interest. *yuck* Cherish the truly good people in this world. God gave me a special role to judge those who misjudge, and see the darkness in their hearts.

I'm pretty sure there is truth to the Chrome 'theory', other than just plausibility.
So an unknown person on a forum on the Internet posts something that doesn't agree with the vast body of information on a particular subject and there must be truth in it?

I prefer to filter my news rather than give consideration to every single page covering the subject.

Back to my question though: I was asking if anyone could verify if I am correct in why Microsoft has struggled to get their rendering engine to comply with industry standards i.e. HTML 5, etc.
Sweet child in time...

Vertion wrote:God gave me a special role to judge those who misjudge
OK, I have no clue what that means, or how it relates to this thread.
Sweet child in time...

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 am
Vertion wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:31 am

So an unknown person on a forum on the Internet posts something that doesn't agree with the vast body of information on a particular subject and there must be truth in it?

I prefer to filter my news rather than give consideration to every single page covering the subject.

Back to my question though: I was asking if anyone could verify if I am correct in why Microsoft has struggled to get their rendering engine to comply with industry standards i.e. HTML 5, etc.
They don't struggle. Edge complies to the standards more then any other browser.
. Chrome has turned into the new IE6, and web developers have been favoring its rendering engine to optimize their sites.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”