Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

BONES wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 am
e@rs wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:42 am Those LFO Polarity switches are way too big imho and they also stick out like they're the most important functions of the synth.
You say that but I had to look at your image very carefully to see what you were talking about. The colour deemphasises it a lot. I don't see a problem at all. The space is there, why not use it?
I think my picture lost a bit of quality when I cut it from Urs' one and re-saved it. It's more apparent in his, look at that one.

This thing looks great.
Probably I'll get it after all these years of postponing, because with the addition of Wavetables and other features it'd make irritatingly buggy Synthmaster One redundant.

There are surprisingly few software developers that are synonymous with quality. U-he is one of them, along with Xfer. Constant stream of updates, innovations, fixes. And great user support.

I'm glad I've joined the club with Diva recently. Hive would make a great companion when you need some two filter, wavetable magic.

I really like this new iteration of Hive 2. The layout of the previous one was nice but somewhat incoherent, perhaps.

Very exited about the new modulation sources, looks like loads of fun! I usually find complex modulator stuff tedious, but this seems really approachable! Tough, i'm not sure how the function-generators work or what it is used for (yet).

Several smart workflow improvements! Drag directly from modulation source to target, "frequently used" modulation sources exposed as drag and drop sources above the matrix, the scope etc.. All very good. :)

Breach The Sky wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pmTough, i'm not sure how the function-generators work or what it is used for (yet)
Here's an example.

The FGs are actually simple AD envelopes with any choice of trigger signal. Let's say you trigger FG1 from LFO1 and LFO1 runs in 1/16th. Normally you'd get FG1 do the same staccato as the LFO. But you can make it so that FG1 only ever triggers once its decay is done. So it would ignore any trigger from LFO1 as long as it's still going, depending on attack and decay time. Hence, the Function Generators can run in sync to an LFO, but at a slower rate. This is basically a clock divider. That alone is a pretty nifty trick and quite a nice addendum.

Now, the fun starts when you modulate the FG decay with some other mod source, e.g. LFO2. What happens then is, the FG will run in a random-like rhythmic pattern, which is always still perfectly synced to the 16th notes of LFO1. It can be made to repeat, and it can be made to evolve forever.

Using the ShapeMods, there are a few simple tricks to create perfectly repeatable random modulations which are different for each voice. So you can play chords, and each note has a different pattern, but always the same pattern when you play another chord.

Combine what I said above. Have the function generators play repeatable random patterns, but a different one for each note you play at the same time. Instant crazy polyphonic arpeggios.

(need to post examples... won't be too long until we got some)

double post.
Last edited by yemski on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

Urs wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Breach The Sky wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pmTough, i'm not sure how the function-generators work or what it is used for (yet)
Here's an example.

The FGs are actually simple AD envelopes with any choice of trigger signal. Let's say you trigger FG1 from LFO1 and LFO1 runs in 1/16th. Normally you'd get FG1 do the same staccato as the LFO. But you can make it so that FG1 only ever triggers once its decay is done. So it would ignore any trigger from LFO1 as long as it's still going, depending on attack and decay time. Hence, the Function Generators can run in sync to an LFO, but at a slower rate. This is basically a clock divider. That alone is a pretty nifty trick and quite a nice addendum.

Now, the fun starts when you modulate the FG decay with some other mod source, e.g. LFO2. What happens then is, the FG will run in a random-like rhythmic pattern, which is always still perfectly synced to the 16th notes of LFO1. It can be made to repeat, and it can be made to evolve forever.

Using the ShapeMods, there are a few simple tricks to create perfectly repeatable random modulations which are different for each voice. So you can play chords, and each note has a different pattern, but always the same pattern when you play another chord.

Combine what I said above. Have the function generators play repeatable random patterns, but a different one for each note you play at the same time. Instant crazy polyphonic arpeggios.

Would definitely like to hear/see patches that implement this. Right now, I'm using them as extension of lfo/envelopes. So much more there, evidently. Loving the note quantisations btw. Lots of evolving/generative type stuff coming from that.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

Urs wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 pm Combine what I said above. Have the function generators play repeatable random patterns, but a different one for each note you play at the same time. Instant crazy polyphonic arpeggios.

I'm actually looking forward to the manual. Please: lots of illustrations to help visualize these concepts! :lol:

I just hope the simple, fast and intuitive workflow of Hive doesn't get damaged by this..

On the contrary, it seems even faster and with more features.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:05 pm On the contrary, it seems even faster and with more features.
I don't know.. I hate when I find an interesting preset, just only would like to tweak a single especific aspect of it, but take hours to find the right parameter, buried in stuff. I always loved not having to go through that with Hive.

Yeah, it looks to me like this could start to be an issue for Hive 2. There seems to be a lot more packed into the GUI now but, as with most things, I'm sure we'll all grow into it and after a week or two it will cease to be a problem. That's certainly what I found with ArcSyn, where there is very little visual separation between the sections. It took me a few days to get comfortable about where everything is but now I'm as good with it as with anything.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Sinisterbr wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:33 pm
Yorrrrrr wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:05 pm On the contrary, it seems even faster and with more features.
I don't know.. I hate when I find an interesting preset, just only would like to tweak a single especific aspect of it, but take hours to find the right parameter, buried in stuff. I always loved not having to go through that with Hive.
There is almost nothing buried in Hive... it could not possibly take hours or even more than a minute to find anything. There are 6 new modulators, all visible on the main page and there is better visual reference than previously.

The 2 new function generators and 4 shape modulators are easily used as straightforward LFO's or envelopes. What other synths have 12 LFO's and Envelopes all visible at once on the main page without any tabbing? And you can just drag the icon from any of them to any parameter to modulate it. And if you select the icon, it displays visually all the parameters it modulates.

It may look somewhat more crowded than before, but Hive 2 is actually easier to use and easier to see what is going on than it was before. 30 minutes and you will be flying around faster than ever! :wink:

On the topic of figuring out a preset, heres a couple of thoughts (Im not advocating anything specific): An interesting feature that could be useful maybe, in the scheps omnichannel, they have something called focus mode, where scheps have chosen what knobs to specifically highlight within each preset. That idea could also be extrapolated with arrows, small info boxes with notes etc. This could even be a cross product standard. Variations of this could also be things like making any knob thats not in default position be more highlighted and vice versa. (This also goes for active/inactive sections of the ui)

The videos on Urs' youtube channel explain everything new. I can only see the 2 that Yorrrrrr posted though. Apparently there are 3 videos. Can someone post links to all three?
Nice videos by the way. :tu: Why hide them?? 8)
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Huys am i missing something? With such a big hexagon there is still no mseg's?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”