bx_oberhausen from Plugin Alliance has landed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Raddler1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:06 pm
abernathy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:15 pm OK, I've changed my mind about this synth. After spending more time with it I realize it is the presets and certain effects that don't work for me. Half (or more?) of the presets use the Air Band effect which sounds awful to me - take a nice warm sound and make it overly bright, shrill (and modern?). I think the reverb takes away from most presets as well - this reverb doesn't sound good at all to me. Strange to me how the beautiful "analog" sound of this synth is obliterated by the harsh effects.

There are a lot of beautiful presets hidden in there if you turn off the effects (at least Air Band, Reverb, and Metal). I really wish this had a global effects switch like Repro (one of my favorite features).

Global effects bypass and a lower price would sell me on this. Crazy over-priced IMO.

Right click on global FX switch on/off to lock it. Applies to all preset changes.
Cool! Thank you! Can you lower the price too...? I might buy it... ;)
Last edited by abernathy on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abernathy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:20 pm
Raddler1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:06 pm
abernathy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:15 pm OK, I've changed my mind about this synth. After spending more time with it I realize it is the presets and certain effects that don't work for me. Half (or more?) of the presets use the Air Band effect which sounds awful to me - take a nice warm sound and make it overly bright, shrill (and modern?). I think the reverb takes away from most presets as well - this reverb doesn't sound good at all to me. Strange to me how the beautiful "analog" sound of this synth is obliterated by the harsh effects.

There are a lot of beautiful presets hidden in there if you turn off the effects (at least Air Band, Reverb, and Metal). I really wish this had a global effects switch like Repro (one of my favorite features).

Global effects bypass and a lower price would sell me on this. Crazy over-priced IMO.

Right click on global FX switch on/off to lock it. Applies to all preset changes.
Cool! Thank you! Can you lower the price to...? I might buy it... ;)
Haha. Good one :wink:

Looking forward if there will be a further heavy hitter discount...

Oh man the sheer amount, and style, of hype/marketing thrown at this is enough to trigger anyone's gag reflex. The product description talks about component modelling like it's the first time it's ever been attempted. For example:

"This creates, in separate voices slight variations which you would expect to hear in an original analog instrument. "
The original was mono. What variations in voices?

Or this pearler here:
"Using Brainworx’s proprietary, patent-pending Tolerance Modeling Technology (TMT) to accurately replicate individual component variations specified by the manufacturer."
What patent is that? Why don't they list the patent in the same paragraph? Like I said they're hyping this up like they're the first to do component modelling.

The whole thing is evocative of a Steven Slate style 24 hour TV-telethon product launch that belongs on the Shopping Network. And that guy can hype some serious snake oil. They think we're idiots and they treat us like idiots. For that reason I'm out.

nevernamed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pm Oh man the sheer amount, and style, of hype/marketing thrown at this is enough to trigger anyone's gag reflex. The product description talks about component modelling like it's the first time it's ever been attempted. For example:

"This creates, in separate voices slight variations which you would expect to hear in an original analog instrument. "

Or this pearler here:
"Using Brainworx’s proprietary, patent-pending Tolerance Modeling Technology (TMT) to accurately replicate individual component variations specified by the manufacturer."
What patent is that? Why don't they list the patent in the same paragraph? Like I said they're hyping this up like they're the first to do component modelling.

The whole thing is evocative of a Steven Slate style 24 hour TV-telethon product launch. And that guy can hype some serious snake oil. They think we're idiots and they treat us like idiots. For that reason I'm out.
Ever read the hype on Tone 2 synths? You'd think they were sent down from the almighty himself. Don't get me wrong. I love Tone 2 synths. I own enough of them. But that is some serious marketing fluff. :lol:

nevernamed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pm "This creates, in separate voices slight variations which you would expect to hear in an original analog instrument. "
Oberheim Two Voice or Eight Voice.

Already posted here, but here we go again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQfzF2LvSs

waltercruz wrote: Oberheim Two Voice or Eight Voice.
Four Voice too.

That's just two or four or eight mono synths in a box. Each of those has it's own control interface. Has it been implemented like that? As far as I can see the plugin has a uniform control interface (one set of knobs total).

As for the Tone2 thing well I don't buy their stuff either.

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:46 am I just did a quick comparison sweep with Oberhausen and Diva. The difference is not huge. I'd say the Oberhausen filter is a tad more smooth/creamy than the Uhbie filter. I also had to lower the resonance of the Uhbie filter 0.5 on the Diva scale ;) to make it fit better, otherwise the Uhbie filter would have been too screamy/harsh.

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/oberhausen-vs-uhbie

The attack stage also seems to differ, as does the range of modulation. Oh, and the Uhbie filter amplifies like mad, not sure why that is. I really had to turn the output down.
They do sound different here. If the first one is much more pleasant. Second one feels a bit static, hollow in comparison with first one. Also second lacks low end.

nevernamed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 pm That's just two or four or eight mono synths in a box. Each of those has it's own control interface. Has it been implemented like that? As far as I can see the plugin has a uniform control interface (one set of knobs total).

The Four-Voice and Eight-Voice had an optional programmer module, but all that did was save the states of the individual SEMs so you could call them up at the flick of a switch. That being said, it was a very useful addition.

I had to sell my Two-Voice and Four-Voice back in the 90s to keep a roof over my head. They're about the only synths I've owned over the years that I regret selling.

ew
A spectral heretic...

ew wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:22 pm
nevernamed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 pm That's just two or four or eight mono synths in a box. Each of those has it's own control interface. Has it been implemented like that? As far as I can see the plugin has a uniform control interface (one set of knobs total).

The Four-Voice and Eight-Voice had an optional programmer module, but all that did was save the states of the individual SEMs so you could call them up at the flick of a switch. That being said, it was a very useful addition.

I had to sell my Two-Voice and Four-Voice back in the 90s to keep a roof over my head. They're about the only synths I've owned over the years that I regret selling.

ew
The TVS, FVS and EVS had two, four and eight SEMs, respectively.

Since you had the originals, I would like to pose a question: They could be programmed as slight variations of each other or as completely different sounds. How was polyphony managed? Let's say that we would want to have half of the modules in an EVS to produce a percussive sound and another half of them to produce a sustained sound. Could we do that? How would they play?

I imagine that if we would want to play all of them as a monophonic synth, that would not be a problem, but I am interested to know what would be bthe behavior if we played them set this way polyphonically.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Elektronisch wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:46 am I just did a quick comparison sweep with Oberhausen and Diva. The difference is not huge. I'd say the Oberhausen filter is a tad more smooth/creamy than the Uhbie filter. I also had to lower the resonance of the Uhbie filter 0.5 on the Diva scale ;) to make it fit better, otherwise the Uhbie filter would have been too screamy/harsh.

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/oberhausen-vs-uhbie

The attack stage also seems to differ, as does the range of modulation. Oh, and the Uhbie filter amplifies like mad, not sure why that is. I really had to turn the output down.
They do sound different here. If the first one is much more pleasant. Second one feels a bit static, hollow in comparison with first one. Also second lacks low end.
I agree. That's why i mentioned that i like the Oberhausen a bit better. I find the difference isn't that big though. But, it's audible. I used the Minimoog oscillators in Diva though, which might make a bit of a difference.

nevernamed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 pm That's just two or four or eight mono synths in a box. Each of those has it's own control interface. Has it been implemented like that?
Exactly in the same way, don't. In bx_oberhausen you can have some differences in the voices due to TMT. In Arturia SEM, you can create soem variation between voices using the 8-Voice Programmer.

ew wrote: The Four-Voice and Eight-Voice had an optional programmer module, but all that did was save the states of the individual SEMs so you could call them up at the flick of a switch.
Curious. What was the set of module controls used for then? To me it looks like they would be used to control either 1 single or multiple modules depending on the position of the switches below, you know, like an 'override' to the controls on the modules themselves. (Which would go back to their respective actual values when used/turned again, like other programmable synths.) Thats not how it works?

Image from http://www.siliconbreakdown.com/ob3.html
ew wrote:I had to sell my Two-Voice and Four-Voice back in the 90s to keep a roof over my head. They're about the only synths I've owned over the years that I regret selling.
I sympathize.

Sucks being forced to surrender a treasure like that, especially if it was still in good shape. :(

This is amazing technology. Can we pay above the list price if we want the plugin now?

Return to “Instruments”